Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ExpressCard-to-USB 3.0 chipset compare advice etc

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
ExpressCard-to-USB 3.0 chipset compare advice etc
October 01, 2016 02:59PM
I've got a headless laptop (HP DV6500) bought cheap years ago do to the car accident it was in. The original Ethernet is 100Mbs.

So not long ago I got a doodad that connects Gigabit Ethernet to a USB 3.0 socket. Now i see they sell dual and triple USB 3.0 ports on one Expresscard.

There's two that i see and like because of price:

This has the ASM Chipset Renesas uPD720202 and two ports, and allows extra power reserve though unused USB 2.0 port.

But this one, has FL1100 chip, three ports, which perfectly matches one Gigabit line & two external hard drives. The downside is no additional power, so that's a lot to ask of an Expressport.

Even on Windows I wouldn't know what to get, but I also know the previous FL chipset (desktop) was recognized by any Linux I had running.

Desert island, what would you go for?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.