Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DId I damage my PogoPlug v4 beyond use?

Posted by ShapeShifter499 
DId I damage my PogoPlug v4 beyond use?
November 08, 2016 04:26PM
Hi,

I have knocked a resistor and it's trace off the board near the serial trying to desolder wires I used for the serial and I'm not sure if I have just damaged it beyond use. I have two of these PogoPlug v4 with SATA docking ports so if I ruined one I have another to fall back on. I just want to know if I wrecked something terribly important or just the serial? I'm ok if ONLY the serial output is damaged because I was able to update the uboot to the latest and get it working with netconsole. I have not tried to power on this PogoPlug v4 since this damage occurred.

The resistor in question is the 4th small one in front of the serial pad marked 'Rx' for receive in the attached image. The two mounted pads the resistor was on appear fine. Only the trace leading up to the resistor from the serial pad 'Rx' is gone and the resistor itself. I borrowed the image from this blog, here, and zoomed it into the area in question.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2016 04:31PM by ShapeShifter499.
Attachments:
open | download - PogoPlugv4_Zoomed.png (257 KB)
Re: DId I damage my PogoPlug v4 beyond use?
November 09, 2016 12:20PM
yup - you have goosed the serial - if your soldering skills are good, its recoverable
November 09, 2016 12:56PM
Only the serial? Is it safe to run this pogoplug with this damage?
November 09, 2016 04:48PM
ShapeShifter499 ,

> Is it safe to run this pogoplug
> with this damage?

Only you will be the judge of this, whether it is safe.

------

As whether it is still working, I agree with "The Grave" ;) it sounds like you've fried the serial port only.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
November 09, 2016 06:34PM
Alright, thank you for the help guys.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.