Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Holly Cow! Pogoplug onsale @Adorama

Posted by habibie 
Holly Cow! Pogoplug onsale @Adorama
November 17, 2016 02:03PM
Re: Holly Cow! Pogoplug onsale @Adorama
November 18, 2016 10:34PM
Good news, #6 is actually $9.98! Click on it.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 18, 2016 10:43PM
Looks like I put an old price on #6. Regardless, I was hoping it was a PogoPlug Mobile POGO-V4-A3-01 (with a SATA and USB3 port).
November 18, 2016 10:47PM
habibie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like I put an old price on #6. Regardless, I
> was hoping it was a PogoPlug Mobile POGO-V4-A3-01
> (with a SATA and USB3 port

Proper names:

Pogo V4: with SATA and USB 3.0
Pogo Mobile: no SATA, USB 3.0

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
November 22, 2016 12:26AM
Thanks habibie! The Pogo Pro P02 is a damn good deal for <$10 :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
November 22, 2016 07:26AM
For some, these deals are indeed good. For others, like me, who already own 4x Pogoplug Pro 02 units, may wanna consider other offers, i.e. NanoPi-M1 US $14 (512 MB RAM) + a Free S/H, etc. The only drawbacks I notice of an offer like a NanoPi-M1 is no SATA, no WiFi, and no gigabit RJ45 supports.
November 22, 2016 02:49PM
habibie Wrote:

>The only drawbacks I notice of an offer like
> a NanoPi-M1 is no SATA, no WiFi, and no gigabit
> RJ45 supports.

This is a different class of devices for different purpose. It should not be considered for a NAS.

The moral of the story is: when we buy inexpensive (under $US 30) boards/plugs for modding, narrow down your usage and buy that. A good "Jack of all trades" ARM embedded devices still costs $US 80 -100.

OTOH, mods like adding a SATA or USB 3.0 on the PCIe bus would make any low cost plugs, that has Gbits, a good NAS.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
November 22, 2016 03:55PM
habibie Wrote:
> For some, these deals are indeed good. For others,
> like me, who already own 4x Pogoplug Pro 02 units,
> may wanna consider other offers, i.e.
>
> NanoPi-M1
US $14 (512 MB RAM) + a Free S/H,
> etc. The only drawbacks I notice of an offer like
> a NanoPi-M1 is no SATA, no WiFi, and no gigabit
> RJ45 supports.

Nice, I'm going to try to order 2 tomorrow when I count my pennies. Even with no SATA/Gigabit they're enough to drive two monitors here and play video. I'd been hoping for a Beelink X2 but most of the specs are the same.
Fingers crossed I can swing at least two; then it's mundane items like SDcards and Pogoplug USB 3 stuff, right? :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 22, 2016 04:10PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> habibie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > For some, these deals are indeed good. For others, like me, who already own 4x Pogoplug Pro 02 units, may wanna consider other offers, i.e. NanoPi-M1 US $14 (512 MB RAM) + a Free S/H, etc. The only drawbacks I notice of an offer like a NanoPi-M1 is no SATA, no WiFi, and no gigabit RJ45 supports.
>
> Nice, I'm going to try to order 2 tomorrow when I
> count my pennies. Even with no SATA/Gigabit
> they're enough to drive two monitors here and play
> video. I'd been hoping for a Beelink X2 but most
> of the specs are the same.
> Fingers crossed I can swing at least two; then
> it's mundane items like SDcards and Pogoplug USB 3
> stuff, right? :-)
?
I thought you may wanna know. On its main page, NanoPi says the NonoPI M1 is US $13. But, I don't know why the order page says US $14. If it is US $14, then the 1 GB version will probably be US $15.
November 22, 2016 04:12PM
You may also wanna consider this M-Edge Universal XL Stealth PRO Keyboard For 10" Devices (Black) US $4.99 (refurbished) + (I believe with) a Free S/H to use with your NanoPi M1.
November 22, 2016 08:15PM
habibie Wrote:
> I thought you may wanna know. On its main page,
> NanoPi says the
> NonoPI M1 is US $13. But, I don't know why the
> order page says US $14. If it is US $14, then the
> 1 GB version will probably be US $15.

Plan A calls for the 1GB RAM version and definitely a case at another $3 apiece. I'd use a Logitech universal in one of the USB plugs to get Wireless and keyboard off one USB port, and have myself two decent video players with nice resolution. After getting a couple of SD cards and you know what kind they must be :-).

The reason, is in my travels I like tutorial videos and therefore most of what I'm watching is someone else's screen recorded at higher resolutions. My tablet isn't so good for that sort of thing. So a couple of the Nanos have the potential to "pay" for themselves quickly. And run Debian? Priceless.

Not only that but they have audio outs so I wouldn't have to buy SPDIF converters.

Lack of Gigabit and lack of 2GB RAM gets my goat, but I'm over the moon at upgrading my video watching from unicore 1.2 gHz ThinClient (although 2GB RAM there... sniffle) to quadcore...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2016 08:19PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
November 24, 2016 12:34AM
Oh, the shipping costs...

Well I was set on the $25 model with Gigabit and 1GB RAM (and an HDMI output that wasn't composite analog like the "$13" model is), but the shipping is way high, as if the prices changing every page weren't enough to scare me off. :-( I'll stick with Stateside orders now and aim for 2GB RAM + - maybe even ditch the whole SOC search and spend pennies on needed hard drive(s).

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 24, 2016 06:27AM
@Joey: Wow! I thought the item comes with a FREE S/H. Sorry about that.
November 24, 2016 03:43PM
Not your fault and yes, they ARE overtly deceptive. Likely they pay far less for shipping and have a huge profit margin.

I just wish for the same as Beelink X2 but 2GB RAM and Gigabit. That way just image a Debian ghost and you're all set to rock. Something like this IF you could boot off an SD card or even USB.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 25, 2016 06:51AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> I just wish for the same as Beelink X2 but 2GB RAM and Gigabit. That way just image a Debian ghost and you're all set to rock. Something like this IF you could boot off an SD card or even USB.
>
What about this NEXBOX A1 TV Box Amlogic S912 Octa Core 2G/16G KODI 4K WiFi for Android 6.0? I have been monitoring this for about 10+ days and it is still there, i.e. not sure it is a scam or legit.
November 25, 2016 11:25PM
And as soon as I click on the link the sale has ended LOL

Well maybe now's a good time to say, I'm happy that I didn't buy anything because my main two hard drives are in the death spiral, so I'll be penny-mongering my way into new hard drives and everything else is on hold for now (same goals though).

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 26, 2016 06:39AM
@Joey: Sorry about the link. Perhaps, this NEXBOX A1 TV Box Amlogic S912 Octa Core 2G/16G KODI 4K WiFi for Android 6.0 (6 unit available as of this writing) from other seller will do.

I don't know your location. However, if you can have an access to a nearby Fry's Electronics store, perhaps this WD Desktop Mainstream 1TB Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit WDBH2D0010HNC-NRSN $54.99 - $15.99 (today 11/26/16 only promo code: 1771015) = $39.99 will do?
November 26, 2016 04:48PM
habibie Wrote:
> @Joey: Sorry about the link. Perhaps, this
> [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEXBOX-A1-TV-Box-Amlo
> gic-S912-Octa-Core-2G-16G-KODI-4K-WiFi-for-Android
> -6-0-/302148662526]NEXBOX A1 TV Box Amlogic S912
> Octa Core 2G/16G KODI 4K WiFi for Android
> 6.0[/url] (6 unit available as of this writing)
> from other seller will do.
>
> I don't know your location. However, if you can
> have an access to a nearby Fry's Electronics
> store, perhaps this
> [url=http://www.frys.com/product/7725598]WD
> Desktop Mainstream 1TB Internal Hard Drive Retail
> Kit WDBH2D0010HNC-NRSN[/url] $54.99 - $15.99
> (today 11/26/16 only promo code: 1771015) = $39.99
> will do?

Habibie I have either good or bad news about the WD Desktop Mainstream 1TB IHD. I bought one for $59 today and when i got home looked up reviews. Some users three years ago swear it's a re-branded WD GREEN, which is the worst hard drive I've ever used. But SURPRISE, this is a re-branded WD Blue, which isn't too bad - at the moment I'm copying Hackintosh Snow Leopard - op, just had error (Partition Magic), will try another route (Macrium Reflect) - one sec..

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
August 07, 2017 07:52AM
habibie Wrote:
>
  1. Pogoplug POGO-P21 Media Sharing Device - Black US $9.97 + Free S/H
    >
  2. Pogoplug Media Sharing Device - Remote Access to Your Media - Black US $9.95 + Free S/H
    >
  3. Pogoplug Sharing Device Pro, Black US $9.98 + Free S/H
    >
  4. Pogoplug Media Sharing Device Pro, Black - 2-Pack US $19.98 + Free S/H
    >
  5. Pogoplug POGO-V4-A1-01 Mobile for iPhone/iPad And Android Devices US $5.99 + Free S/H
    >
  6. Pogoplug 2X POGO-V4-A1-01 Mobile for iPhone/iPad And Android Devices With Pro-Optic Microfiber Cloth US $18.98 + Free S/H
> I already have 4x PogoPlug Pro02 and 4x PogoPlug Mobile POGO-V4-A1-01. So, I will pass.
>
The sales ended long (almost 8 months) ago and looks like the prices have been back to normal for sometimes. Perhaps, Adorama is going to offer another sales on these items soon?
Dojo
August 08, 2017 10:49AM
Still good deals available (in the U.S. at least):

- Two Pogoplug Mobiles for $14.98 with free shipping: Pogoplug Backup and Sharing Device, 2-Pack

- One Pogoplug P01 (P02/Pro with wifi for Canadian market) for $9.95 with free shipping: Pogoplug Media Sharing Device - Black - POGO-P01

Remember each Pogoplug includes a free 2 meter Cat 5 cable. The Mobile also includes a 12 volt wall wart which can be re-purposed for router, hard drive or other duties. And the Mobile 2 Pack includes a free screen wipe :)

Only bummer is you need to have serial console access anymore to upgrade or modify u-boot to use Debian. But that's another $10 expense that can be used for so many other things that it should be easy to justify.
August 08, 2017 04:56PM
Dojo,

> Remember each Pogoplug includes a free 2 meter Cat
> 5 cable. The Mobile also includes a 12 volt wall
> wart which can be re-purposed for router, hard dri
> ve or other duties. And the Mobile 2 Pack includ
> es a free screen wipe :)

Very good point :) it's like getting a free ARM board, and a little more freebie. This is why I would not buy power adapter or CAT 5e cable, I'd rather buy a Pogo Mobile (in the US with free shipping).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
August 08, 2017 08:46PM
I'll also add this one to the mix. http://amzn.to/2wG090i

I don't know if you'll get a true V4 with 3 USB ports (1 hidden under the top case) but if not (like in my case) the seller could send you a mobile by accident and then give you a refund when you point out the error and tell you to keep the device. That's right, I got a free Pogoplug Mobile. Good times!
Dojo
August 08, 2017 09:15PM
cdlenfert Wrote:
> I'll also add this one to the mix. [url=http://am
> zn.to/2wG090i]http://amzn.to/2wG090i[/url]
>
> I don't know if you'll get a true V4 with 3 USB p
> orts (1 hidden under the top case) but if not (lik
> e in my case) the seller could send you a mobile b
> y accident and then give you a refund when you poi
> nt out the error and tell you to keep the device.
> That's right, I got a free Pogoplug Mobile. Good t
> imes!

That listing is legit. Pogoplug offered the Secure model of the V4-A3 (i.e. the one with 2 USB 3.0 ports, an SD port plus the topside SATA and USB 2.0 ports) targeted to businesses. It supports up to five different users. You should be able to use the same methods to replace u-boot and run Debian as you use on the other plugs in the V4 series. That price is a lot better than you can usually pick up V4-A3 for as they usually go for $19 plus dollars if you can even find them new anymore.

BTW, the Mobile version, the one with just the back USB 2.0 port and the MMC port, is the V4-A1 ....that's the one Adorama is selling in the two pack.
August 08, 2017 09:23PM
That's what I thought and then a Pogo mobile showed up in the mail. I can't really complain because I ended up getting it for free :) I wanted a V4-A3 for a while, and am still tempted by this one, but at this point I've got an E-02, 2 Pros, and 1 Mobile (grand total for all ... $40). Can't really think of another use for one.
August 10, 2017 07:37AM
Dojo Wrote:
> Still good deals available (in the U.S. at least):
>
Yes, but if I could get a PogoPlug Pro 02 for less than $5 each (which I did from the same Adorama after a rebate), it will be even a better deal. Right now, the deal posted by cdlenfert (P4-A3) looks good, AFAICT.

> - Two Pogoplug Mobiles for $14.98 with free shipping: Pogoplug Backup and Sharing Device, 2-Pack
>
> - One Pogoplug P01 (P02/Pro with wifi for Canadian market) for $9.95 with free shipping: Pogoplug Media Sharing Device - Black - POGO-P01
>
> Remember each Pogoplug includes a free 2 meter Cat5 cable. The Mobile also includes a 12 volt wallwart which can be re-purposed for router, hard drive or other duties. And the Mobile 2 Pack includes a free screen wipe :)
>
> Only bummer is you need to have serial console access anymore to upgrade or modify u-boot to use Debian. But that's another $10 expense that can be used for so many other things that it should be easy to justify.
>
That would be paying too much. If you had time, you can order some USB/serial console modules from China for less than $1/each, i.e. CH340, CP2102, PL2303HX etc.
August 10, 2017 08:30AM
I ordered 2 of the Pogoplug POGO-P01 devices from adorama this year and received a Pro with wifi both times
November 03, 2017 11:01AM
Check this Ebay listing - Pogoplugs for $4 each. There's a gotcha though - https://www.ebay.com/itm/122780928535?rmvSB=true
November 04, 2017 07:23AM
cdlenfert Wrote:
> Check this Ebay listing - Pogoplugs for $4 each. There's a gotcha though - https://www.ebay.com/itm/122780928535?rmvSB=true
>
I saw that a few days ago and did not bother mainly because the sale is for a quantity of 100 pieces.
November 04, 2017 12:27PM
cdlenfert Wrote:
> Check this Ebay listing - Pogoplugs for $4 each.
> There's a gotcha though -
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/122780928535?rmvSB=true

And 100 resisters to clock them higher LOL
Turn them all on at the same time from the same IP and see if you get personalized attention from CloudEngines. That would be a tech call they never forget, whew!

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.