Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Way off topic: Linux app to copy Hackintosh off bad hard drive? (solved!)

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Way off topic: Linux app to copy Hackintosh off bad hard drive? (solved!)
November 29, 2016 02:05AM
I know that's a controversial subject, that Apple sold DVDs that work on non-Apple hardware because, why you suppose? And years ago I went that route to the point I still beta test for two companies that support Snow Leopard! When i started it wasn't controversial, in fact I got my startup DVD from a University computer lab director. And blah blah blah.

But that hard drive is toasting - i tried a few things like Carbon Copy Cloner which works except for the boot loader. Clonezilla is said to work but when I tried it it stopped with a bad sector report. Which makes me think the sectors were reallocated and Clonzilla couldn't cope. then I tried a Windows boot disk that's even more controversial, in every geeks toolbox but I've never heard of it lol And if i did, none of the disk management apps work.

But I thought someone around here mentioned a Linux App, maybe even GParted where it can maybe clone a hard to clone partition etc. True? Worth trying?

True it's not a direct pogoplug question but I wont' get further with pogo if this is whacked.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 05:15PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Way off topic: Linux app to copy Hackintosh off bad hard drive?
November 29, 2016 03:58AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know that's a controversial subject, that Apple
> sold DVDs that work on non-Apple hardware because,
> why you suppose? And years ago I went that route
> to the point I still beta test for two companies
> that support Snow Leopard! When i started it
> wasn't controversial, in fact I got my startup DVD
> from a University computer lab director. And blah
> blah blah.
>
> But that hard drive is toasting - i tried a few
> things like Carbon Copy Cloner which works except
> for the boot loader. Clonezilla is said to work
> but when I tried it it stopped with a bad sector
> report. Which makes me think the sectors were
> reallocated and Clonzilla couldn't cope. then I
> tried a Windows boot disk that's even more
> controversial, in every geeks toolbox but I've
> never heard of it lol And if i did, none of the
> disk management apps work.
>
> But I thought someone around here mentioned a
> Linux App, maybe even GParted where it can maybe
> clone a hard to clone partition etc. True? Worth
> trying?

>
> True it's not a direct pogoplug question but I
> wont' get further with pogo if this is whacked.

Joey,

If your disk is MBR (is it less than 2TB?), Use Acronis on Windows to to clone it. Try it.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
November 29, 2016 07:43AM
@Joey: I think you can use dd utility to clone a HDD.
November 29, 2016 11:44AM
bodhi Wrote:
> If your disk is MBR (is it less than 2TB?), Use
> Acronis on Windows to to clone it. Try it.

Nice app and I tried the boot disk, but it's EFI and Acronis couldn't see it.

habibie Wrote:
> @Joey: I think you can use dd utility to
> clone a HDD.

I might make a Linux boot USB thing and see if it works. Just for kicks I tried WinDD, which runs in Windows but it didn't see those partitions and then blue screened.

I can't speak for Linux, but with the hard drives on the fritz, cloning Windows7x64 was easy and perfect with Macrium Reflect. 10 minutes to image, 5 minutes to deploy.

Snow Leopard is on another drive altogether so as to minimize problems in times like this (I unplug the Windows hard drive when CCC cloning). Having said that, Carbon Copy Cloner works fine for the working partition, but nothing for boot. I haven't tried Paragon yet so am working on it.

And yes, over at a Hackintosh forum it's stated Snow Leopard is the last version of Hackintosh where it IS legal to run 3rd party hardware, so that's cool.

Any other ideas do tell, but just know I understand this isn't a topic for the other forums. But if I can find a Linux that does what Clonezilla does (imaging or clones) and doesn't freak out if bad sectors have been re-allocated, then Joey back in business.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 29, 2016 12:25PM
@Joey: You can basically download a debian USB image and (I believe) use dd utility to image the file to your USB memory stick. Then, boot your computer through the USB memory stick if you computer has a support to boot through a USB port. Otherwise, download/burn the live CD version and boot it on your computer.
November 29, 2016 01:52PM
I use rsync to create bootable backups of my Linux installs. I do have to set up a boot loader to boot them afterwards though.

I've used dd for .iso images to USB. Never tried it for hdd, but it should work.
November 29, 2016 05:15PM
JeffS Wrote:
> I use rsync to create bootable backups of my Linux
> installs. I do have to set up a boot loader to
> boot them afterwards though.

Thanks for that, it helps to keep me aquainted with what is workling from the Linux side.

Got the answer! Quoted:

With disk drives getting larger and larger manufacturers have had to change the default block size from 512 bytes to 4,096 bytes. These new drives are known as "Advanced Format" or 4K drives. Initially this was only seen on drives larger than 1 TB but will soon be on all drives. As part of this change there is an issue with OS X writing the boot helper code to these drives when booted from the drive. Because of this they require a workaround to boot on their own." - Source: tonymacx86.com

The method that worked for me was the 2nd option, which uses one of those SATA to USB adapters. Glad someone here advised me to bu one a while back.

So I'm squared-away now. But it's something to remember when WD Green and Blue drives aren't booting right. Well to be fair, the WD Greens aren't booting because the head parked forever hahahaha

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 05:39PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
November 29, 2016 08:54PM
@Joey:I am glad to hear you found the answer.
November 29, 2016 09:24PM
habibie Wrote:
> @Joey:I am glad to hear you found the answer.

Awe man thanks! The two old hard drives were on borrowed time and I can't remember what computers I salvaged them from to begin with. But it's a relief Snow Leopard will live on; it's still a pretty secure and cool OS if you consider the apps stuck in time that will work on it. I'm quite tempted to clone that to my headless laptop now that I think of it :)

Well call me superstitious but when I ask you all to wish me luck it keeps coming true, so I've got one more Best Buy hard drive to attempt acquiring this week and that's a load off my mind the rest of the winter. My 2TB Blue Desktop bought yesterday is a hair slower, but real quiet.

YEAH! So Habibie did any of the TV boxes come in, or other experiments involving a leap of faith?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
November 29, 2016 11:23PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> YEAH! So Habibie did any of the TV boxes come in,
> or other experiments involving a leap of faith?
>
Unfortunately, the answer is no. They were all scams, but I did get my money back without a problem.
Re: Way off topic: Linux app to copy Hackintosh off bad hard drive? (solved!)
December 06, 2016 09:42AM
@Joey: I just received an e-mail from Tiger Direct and it has this Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 - Hard drive - 1 TB - internal - 3.5" - SATA 6Gb/s - 7200 rpm - buffer: 64 (ST1000DM003) US $49.99 + US $2 S/H = US $51.99 and this Seagate® Expansion™ 2TB Portable Drive - 2TB, External Hard Drive, USB 3.0 - STEA2000400 US $79.99 + Free S/H. If you still need some SATA HDDs, I think these look like very prices, ATM.
December 06, 2016 02:10PM
Naw I'm good but thanks for looking out for me. I've got one more 1TB to go locally (@Best Buy) and then it's going to be SMALL hard drives, between 160GB and 500GB, a mix of 2.5" for Pogoplug's, Thin Client and laptops, and 3.5" for main OSs on old-skool desktop. I see those at crazy prices all over eBay now.

So the strategy overall is to run my main OSs off the small hard drives and have easy backups in the larger hard drives. This is a strategy that's taken a long time to evolve, but makes maintenance a breeze, or say if a Linux drive were to blowout, it's a lot easier to give Linux the whole hard drive when installing.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
December 07, 2016 08:15AM
Okay!
thanks for sharing this information
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.