Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

USB-2-Molex

Posted by habibie 
USB-2-Molex
December 02, 2016 12:20PM
Has anyone here used this USB to Molex cable to drive a 3.5" external HDD from a USB2 port?
Re: USB-2-Molex
December 02, 2016 01:07PM
habibie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone here used this
> USB to
> Molex
cable to drive a 3.5" external HDD
> from a USB2 port?

That should work with a 2.5" hard drive but not 3.5". Look at the picture, the molex connector has two pins populated and the other two are empty. Definitely 5 volts. I made exactly the same thing lately but haven't tried it. Lately I've been hoarding these one order at a time (the most used adapter here for all sorts of applications), and on my best ThinClient there's a SATA II port. So the idea is to plug the SATA end into the ThinClient, and use the USB to Molex cable to plug into an unused USB 2.0 port and power it that way. The result being SATA II speeds instead of USB 2.0 if I'd have just used an all-in-one adapter and been forced to plug into a USB 2.0 jack.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 01:12PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: USB-2-Molex
December 02, 2016 01:42PM
IC. Thank you, Joey.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.