Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SPDIF strategy

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
SPDIF strategy
February 05, 2017 10:07PM
Kind of maddening that lots of small devices will output SPDIF (as optical or coax [coax being a digital stream through common RCA plugs]) but not as many accept SPDIF. In my case I have a good sound interface that accepts one optical and one coaxial SPDIF, but one at a time. And one computer whose motherboard accepts coax SPDIF.

I just had an Aha! moment that might work as a cheap solution. That's one of those TV switching boxes you see at Vinnie's for 75 cents. I've got one or two on hand. The idea is one of the colors is used for SPDIF and you can just hit the switch to change. Not automatic but better than no ideas.

Having said that, I've got to get a SPDIF bar for that old ASUS motherboard, but will let you know if it doesn't work.

But if you have ideas, heck, say the word..

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2017 04:42PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: SPDIF strategy
February 16, 2017 08:14AM
February 17, 2017 06:30PM
habibie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joey,
>
> What about this [url=http://www.tmart.com/Lvpin-20
> 0W-12V-Super-Bass-Mini-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Amplifier-Boos
> ter-Radio-MP3-Silver_p354908.html]Lvpin 200W 12V S
> uper Bass Mini Hi-Fi Stereo Amplifier Booster Radi
> o MP3 Silver[/url]?

For the price it's a pretty neat looking amp. Wish I knew what parts are inside. And yes, after SPDIF to analog conversion it's one way to amplify.

Let's say you or me had a budget for a great digital-to-analog converter and an anplifier, where is the money best spent? I'd argue to put more money for great DAC and practically any amp. Of course a great amp is next, but the smart money would go for DAC.

Once you hear music at typical studio mastering quality 24-bit-96kHz instead of consumer CD quality @ 16-bit 44.1kHz, it's like a lightbulb goes off in your head as to why our country has obsolete standards. And a low-end amp like that will definitely show the difference.
That's my area of expertise, but doesn't mean I can afford a SPDIF DAC for every device, got to have everything in moderation :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 17, 2017 09:51PM
Joey,

I completely agree with what you said above. The reason I posted the amplifier was because it was on sale.
February 18, 2017 05:24AM
that one is a good little amp, make sure your input power is clean and it works well, most amps in this price range have the same base chip inside,,, its not audiophile quality, but it is very acceptable as a low cost device goes
February 18, 2017 08:06PM
It's starting to dawn on me, the plusses of this amp.

One, even if it blew out, the case looks identical to an Iomega Storage Manager, which houses a 3.5" hard drive. Nice aluminum dissipation.

Second, that "MP3 input" (probably 1/8th" jack might make a great mate to the cheap smartphone I don't use, and be 2/3 a poor man's boombox. I've been wanting to make one for a while. Go with AC power for starters, then see about battery power.

And 3rd, it's so cool of an enclosure it could always be gutted and used for a nicer circuit.

So, nice find H! Looks priced similar on eBay. Not now but I'll keep an eye out for it.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 18, 2017 08:41PM
> What about this http://www.tmart.com/Lvpin-20
> 0W-12V-Super-Bass-Mini-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Amplifier-Boos
> ter-Radio-MP3-Silver_p354908.html]Lvpin 200W 12V S
> uper Bass Mini Hi-Fi Stereo Amplifier Booster Radi
> o MP3 Silver?

Thanks habibie.

This is indeed a good and inexpensive amp! great for these small Kirkwood plugs. Note that GF Home power supply might be perfect for it if the barrell jack is the same (I did not see the product page has a power supply included).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
February 19, 2017 09:55PM
Bodhi, you are welcome. BTW, when I posted the link, I thought it was under US $12, wasn't it?

Anyway, AliExpress has this (similar) CES FOR LVPIN 12V 200W Mini Hi-Fi Stereo Amplifier MP3 Car Radio Channels 2 House Super Bass US $9.96 + $1.04 S/H = US $11. What about this Original Kinter MA700 FM IR Control FM MP3 USB HiFi Stereo Power Digital Amplifier US $15.23 + Free S/H to US or this Original Speaker Kentiger HY - 602 HY-602 HiFi Stereo Power Digital Amplifier with FM IR Control FM MP3 USB Playback US $12.75 + Free S/H to US? What I tried to say is to look around at AliExpress and perhaps also eBay.
February 22, 2017 12:55PM
habibie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joey,
>
> What about this Lvpin 200W 12V Super Bass Mini Hi-Fi Stereo Amplifier Booster Radio MP3 Silver?

Now, the price just dropped to $11.99 for the next 2 days. If you need one, grab it before it is gone.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.