Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogoplug V3 OXNAS - USB 3.0 on mPCIe - Thread 2

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Pogoplug V3 OXNAS - USB 3.0 on mPCIe - Thread 2
February 25, 2017 12:51PM
Ahhh... wake up call... My mpcie-to-USB_3.0 adapter came in today, and although the support wires aren't in yet, I opened up a PogoPro to see how the parts fit.

1. I see now. The original mcie wireless was half-height, and this new adapter is full. That means the screws won't be used to hold anything in place.
2. Also the card would be poking into the power supply area if there isn't a ribbon cable to move the adapter.

What threw me off was, when I removed the wireless units from both Pogoplug Pros, I'd also removed same brand from a headless laptop, and seeing that in a drawer many times made me think that's what the Pogos had. Probably not.

So if anyone knows of a cheap mpcie extension ribbon do tell.

I can test this when my other wires come in, but will still have ergonomic challenges. If this works, and especially nice and fast, I'd like to make this a simple LAN-Samba, so any two USB 3.0 sticks/externals will be seeable anywhere on this LAN

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2017 05:21AM by bodhi.
Re: Best Pogoplug to buy
February 25, 2017 03:15PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So if anyone knows of a cheap mpcie extension ribbon do tell.
>
Wow. that is a pretty expensive ribbon. A less expensive ones I found are from AliExpress, i.e. PCI Express MINI PCI-E 52 Pin Notebook Network Card Flexible Ribbon Extender Extension Adapter Cable 15cm US $11.80 + Free S/H to US, Mosunx Gifts Wholesale Flexible Mini PCI Express PCI-E Card 52 pin M to Female Extension Cable US $7.83 (after a 21% off) + US $1.74 to United States via ePacket = US $9.57, and Flexible Mini PCI Express PCI-e Card 52 pin M to Female Extension Cable 20.5cm .US $8.86 + Free Shipping to United States via Seller's Shipping Method.

I don't know if you can make use of this PCI E Express PCI-E 1X to 1X Slot Riser Card Extender Ribbon Converter Adapter Extension Flex Relocate Cable US $1.38 + Free S/H to US? This seller also sells External USB 2.0 to 3D Audio USB Sound Card Adapter 7.1 Channel Headset Microphone 3.5mm Jack US $0.88 + Free S/H.
February 25, 2017 05:14PM
Joey,

> 1. I see now. The original mcie wireless was half-
> height, and this new adapter is full. That means t
> he screws won't be used to hold anything in place.
> 2. Also the card would be poking into the power su
> pply area if there isn't a ribbon cable to move th
> e adapter.
>

Now you know why I have been looking for a half-height card! with this full-height card we can test it. But modding will be a challenge :)

> I can test this when my other wires come in, but w
> ill still have ergonomic challenges. If this works
> , and especially nice and fast, I'd like to make t
> his a simple LAN-Samba, so any two USB 3.0 sticks/
> externals will be seeable anywhere on this LAN

I've built a new stable kernel and included the USB 3.0 support but have not released it.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
February 25, 2017 06:05PM
bodhi Wrote:

> I've built a new stable kernel and included the US
> B 3.0 support but have not released it.

Cool! Shouldn't be long and the other wires will arrive. I'm fairly certain if the card is plugged-in and not disturbed, should be okay for testing.

@ Habibie thanks for the research :-)

-edit story of mail delivery women-.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2017 10:15PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
March 03, 2017 04:50AM
Joey,

> Cool! Shouldn't be long and the other wires will a
> rrive. I'm fairly certain if the card is plugged-i
> n and not disturbed, should be okay for testing.

Have you thought about some way to tie this full-height card down, even without the 2 screws? can we use some plastic clip, clam,... things like that to hold it down to the board? Other than using an extension ribbon, that its.

OTOH, if the extension ribbon does not cost much, then that seems to be a better way.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 03, 2017 01:57PM
bodhi Wrote:

> Have you thought about some way to tie this full-h
> eight card down, even without the 2 screws? can we
> use some plastic clip, clam,... things like that t
> o hold it down to the board? Other than using an e
> xtension ribbon, that its.
>
> OTOH, if the extension ribbon does not cost much,
> then that seems to be a better way.

First of all yeah one way or another I'll secure the card so it doesn't move, and right now I have two different 20-pin-to-2x-USB3.0 female receptacles. Everything came in except that FDD-from-molex plug. Were it not for $14.50 for a cheap mpcie extension ribbon, and more like $2-3, I'd have bought a couple of them, except even though it's screwed inside the Pogoplug, the USB 3.0 card still isn't itself anchored. It's plugged into the end of the ribbon.

And then the more I look around, there are mpcie-to-PCIE adapters around $10, that would allow anything PCIE to plug in.
Well for now I'm stuck with that I have on hand. My plan is to plug in the card, and like you said, clip it or do something to make it free of worry and plug in two empty USB 3.0 sticks, one PNY and another Sandisk, for identity, and see if I can follow directions for a new kernel.

This is going to answer many questions, and should it perform better than USB 2 (like I said, I'll do handstands if it's x2 performance) the USB 3 protocol interfaces more stuff than probably any other.

* but yes, knock on wood this summer I'll get an mpcie-to-PCIE adapter and have that on hand.
** and if this works great my next obsession will be another adapter for the 2nd PogoPro

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
March 03, 2017 03:40PM

>
> MINI-PCIE-52Pin-Notebook-Network-Card-Flexible-Rib
> bon-Extender-Extension-Adapter-/

Looks good, too bad it costs more than the mPCIe card itself :)) As I recalled, the iConnect also has no room for a full-height card, either.

But for the interest of science, I'll buy the exension ribbon to plug in permanently for a testbed. If you can find one cheaper in a next couple days, please let me know!

By the way, this mPCIe card is advertised as compliance with Intel XHCI (USB 3.0), but we'd never know if it is so until we plug in. The OXNAS needs different driver for USB 2.0 (EHCI) and SATA. So if we find out that it also needs different driver for XHCI then it is not going to work. The iConnect is easier because it is Kirkwood (we know the driver works for other boxes with board PCIe bus).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 03, 2017 06:06PM
bodhi Wrote:

> But for the interest of science, I'll buy the exen
> sion ribbon to plug in permanently for a testbed.
> If you can find one cheaper in a next couple days,
> please let me know!

For sure I'll be looking, because it seems expensive relative to other cables. Eventually I'll buy one for sure, just because it'd be handy to have in the experimenter's box.

> By the way, this mPCIe card is advertised as compl
> iance with Intel XHCI (USB 3.0), but we'd never kn
> ow if it is so until we plug in. The OXNAS needs d
> ifferent driver for USB 2.0 (EHCI) and SATA. So if
> we find out that it also needs different driver fo
> r XHCI then it is not going to work. The iConnect
> is easier because it is Kirkwood (we know the driv
> er works for other boxes with board PCIe bus).

I only have one wild card to offer, and that requires prep. But IF I plugged the mpcie adapter card into my headless laptop's old wireless slot (making sure the front of the laptop's former wireless switch is on!), and then ran something like MINT Linux, maybe (if it worked) it could shed light on what's being used for that. The laptop is totally not easy to accomplish this simple task because it's built into another item, a dock of sorts. Plus it's not architectured as ARM and maybe a useless comparison.
I didn't think that one all the way through...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2017 06:26PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
March 03, 2017 07:35PM
Joey,

> I only have one wild card to offer, and that requi
> res prep. But IF I plugged the mpcie adapter card
> into my headless laptop's old wireless slot (makin
> g sure the front of the laptop's former wireless s
> witch is on!), and then ran something like MINT Li
> nux, maybe (if it worked) it could shed light on w
> hat's being used for that. The laptop is totally n
> ot easy to accomplish this simple task because it'
> s built into another item, a dock of sorts. Plus i
> t's not architectured as ARM and maybe a useless c
> omparison.
> I didn't think that one all the way through...

That would be a good test for some aspect, even though the laptop is not ARM. At least you will know if it works and what type of chipset,..

But I'll do this easy way when I have the time. I hate opening up the Pogo V3 because how fragile the power supply connector solder point is. I've broken one in the past :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 05, 2017 12:15AM
bodhi Wrote:

> But I'll do this easy way when I have the time. I
> hate opening up the Pogo V3 because how fragile th
> e power supply connector solder point is. I've bro
> ken one in the past :)

Ferment/incubate to your heart's content :-) My brain is in a different place, envisioning higher USB speeds and cool tricks if that's accomplished. Like be sure which USB port is 1 and which is 2, and setup DD to copy 1 to 2 quickly on a key command or easier. This could work with adapters for TF cards as well. Copying from one USB 3.0 port to the other blinding fast is probably the only certainty.

But also optimize Pogo's access to NTFS, because it's hard to escape external hard drives that have it, and of course overcome the limitations concerning lack of port multiplication if it were a SATA modification and not USB 3.0.

The enthusiasm? Priceless. FWIW at eBay I've been using the note feature to record how many days an order got here, country of origin and whether standard, economy or other for postal service. Some of the most inexpensive and useful parts take 27-31 days.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.