Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Run an Odroid C2 off a Pogoplug power supply

Posted by snady 
Run an Odroid C2 off a Pogoplug power supply
March 02, 2017 01:39PM
Hello everyone!

I’ve got a bit of a project planned and I need your help. I’ve been running an E02 for quite some time (see http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?8,32824), but I want to switch it out for something with a bit more oomph. Gigabit ethernet and USB2 is still fine. I am currently playing with an Odroid C2. In terms of CPU power it’s a beast, compared to the E02 - Quad core 1,5Ghz 64bit Arm - runs the whole lot I was running on the E02 and is bored all the time. So lots of room for additional stuff.

Now, the good thing about the E02 was: It was a pretty sturdy package, power supply never failed me, etc. In comparison, the Odroid is very easy to damage, no good cases available, power supplies are a bit of a mess, etc.

What I would like to do is: Use an old Pogoplug case and if possible reuse it’s power supply. From reading through the forum, I learned that the V3 has a 12V power supply, so that’s no good, as the Odroid runs on 5V. The E02 has too my understanding 2x 5V available.

Do you think it’s feasible to grab one of the 5V rails and power the Odroid off of that?

(In case it would draw too much power, the next and unavoidable and maybe stupid question is of course: Could I combine the two 5V rails and use them combined?)

Any help its greatly appreciated,
snady

PS: If anyone would like to get rid of an old or broken E02 and is happy to ship within the EU - I am interested.
Re: Run an Odroid C2 off a Pogoplug power supply
March 02, 2017 02:26PM
snady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you think it’s feasible to grab one of the 5V r
> ails and power the Odroid off of that?

Yes - i have done it before, nice smooth dc voltage out of it.

> (In case it would draw too much power, the next an
> d unavoidable and maybe stupid question is of cour
> se: Could I combine the two 5V rails and use them
> combined?)

there is no way the odroid will need the rails combining, the power supply can easily supply 4a @ 5v
March 02, 2017 03:12PM
@Gravelrash,

> > Do you think it’s feasible to grab one of the 5V
> r
> > ails and power the Odroid off of that?
>
> Yes - i have done it before, nice smooth dc volta
> ge out of it.
>

Nice :) Did you do this mod permanently or just temporarily to see if it work?

The "weak" point in the Pogoplug E02/Pro is the power supply connector. If you play with it too much (pull the plug in/out), eventually the solder point got loosen. I had that happened to my Pogo Pro V3, but I had a bricked Pogo E02 (NAND went kaput), so I was able to reuse that power supply.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 02, 2017 03:12PM
4 amps on each rail or combined?

What would combining look like? soldering the two +5V together, or would I need to do something smarter (sorry, this probably sounds completely idiotic, but I am a complete electronics nook).
March 07, 2017 02:24PM
Dammit... bought another Pogoplug (V3 PRO black one with Wifi). Debian was already installed. Planned to gut it for the Odroid project. But it's so nice... I don't want to break it ;)
March 07, 2017 03:56PM
snady Wrote:
> Dammit... bought another Pogoplug (V3 PRO black on
> e with Wifi). Debian was already installed. Planne
> d to gut it for the Odroid project. But it's so ni
> ce... I don't want to break it ;)

:)) which Debian?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 07, 2017 04:32PM
snady Wrote:
> Dammit... bought another Pogoplug (V3 PRO black on
> e with Wifi). Debian was already installed. Planne
> d to gut it for the Odroid project. But it's so ni
> ce... I don't want to break it ;)
>
If I may ask: Who did you buy it from and how much?
March 07, 2017 10:33PM
adorama.com or adorama on ebay (if you want to use your ebay gift card)

$9.95 for SKU: COCPOGOP01 MFR: POGO-P01

Pogo-P01 and Pogo-P02 are both Pogoplug Pro.

Free shipping.
March 08, 2017 06:04AM
Thanks.
March 08, 2017 11:55AM
Mine was used, came with 16Gb stick with Debian installed and was roughly 20$ (allegro.pl). Yup, that stuff is pretty expensive here, compared to the US
March 08, 2017 04:40PM
snady Wrote:
> Mine was used, came with 16Gb stick with Debian in
> stalled and was roughly 20$ (allegro.pl). Yup, tha
> t stuff is pretty expensive here, compared to the
> US

Have you booted it up and check which version it's running?

uname -a

when you do
fw_printenv
does it list u-boot envs?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 08, 2017 06:27PM
What are

Linux DebianPlug 4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Dec 11 17:32:48 PST 2016 armv6l GNU/Linux

bootcmd=run bootcmd_uenv; run scan_disk; run set_bootargs; run bootcmd_exec; reset
bootcmd_exec=run load_uimage; if run load_initrd; then if run load_dtb; then bootm 0x60500000 0x60e00000 0x62c00000; else bootm 0x60500000 0x60e00000; fi; else if run load_dtb; then bootm 0x60500000 - 0x62c00000; else bootm 0x60500000; fi; fi
bootcmd_uenv=run uenv_load; if test $uenv_loaded -eq 1; then run uenv_import; fi
bootdelay=10
bootdev=usb
device=0:1
devices=usb ide
disks=0 1 2 3
dtb_file=/boot/dts/ox820-pogoplug-pro.dtb
ethact=dwmac.40400000
ethaddr=00:25:31:01:9B:03
if_netconsole=ping $serverip
ipaddr=192.168.0.222
load_dtb=echo loading DTB $dtb_file ...; ext2load $bootdev $device 0x62c00000 $dtb_file
load_initrd=echo loading uInitrd ...; ext2load $bootdev $device 0x60e00000 /boot/uInitrd
load_uimage=echo loading uImage ...; ext2load $bootdev $device 0x60500000 /boot/uImage
mainlineLinux=yes
mtdids=nand0=41000000.nand
mtdparts=mtdparts=41000000.nand:14m(boot),-(data)
preboot_nc=run if_netconsole start_netconsole
scan_disk=echo running scan_disk ...; scan_done=0; setenv scan_usb "usb start";  setenv scan_ide "ide reset";  setenv scan_mmc "mmc rescan"; for dev in $devices; do if test $scan_done -eq 0; then echo Scan device $dev; run scan_$dev; for disknum in $disks; do if test $scan_done -eq 0; then echo device $dev $disknum:1; if ext2load $dev $disknum:1 0x60500000 /boot/uImage 1; then scan_done=1; echo Found bootable drive on $dev $disknum; setenv device $disknum:1; setenv bootdev $dev; fi; fi; done; fi; done
serverip=192.168.0.220
set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=LABEL=rootfs rootdelay=10 $mtdparts $custom_params
start_netconsole=setenv ncip $serverip; setenv bootdelay 10; setenv stdin nc; setenv stdout nc; setenv stderr nc; version;
stderr=serial
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
uenv_import=echo importing envs ...; env import -t 0x60500000
uenv_init_devices=setenv init_usb "usb start";  setenv init_ide "ide reset";  setenv init_mmc "mmc rescan"; for devtype in $devices; do run init_$devtype; done;
uenv_load=run uenv_init_devices; setenv uenv_loaded 0; for devtype in $devices;  do for disknum in 0; do run uenv_read_disk; done; done;
uenv_read=echo loading envs from $devtype $disknum ...; if load $devtype $disknum:1 0x60500000 /boot/uEnv.txt; then setenv uenv_loaded 1; fi
uenv_read_disk=if test $devtype -eq mmc; then if $devtype part; then run uenv_read;  fi; else if $devtype part $disknum; then run uenv_read; fi;  fi
usb_custom_params=zswap.enabled=1
usb_ready_retry=15
fdt_file=/boot/dts/ox820-pogoplug-pro.dtb

What are you searching for exactly? (Also: I am not sure anymore if I should slaughter the pink or the v3....)
March 08, 2017 08:47PM
That's all I wanted to see! This has the latest uboot and newer kernel that I released here, it should serve you well :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 09, 2017 02:37PM
The Pro feels quite a bit snappier. I think I'll keep the Pro as backup and cannibalize the E02 for the project.

First test: E02 Power Supply (1 rail) on the Odroid: Works just fine... was a bit of a chewing gum and duct tape job. Need to do some soldering over the next days...
March 09, 2017 03:29PM
snady Wrote:
> The Pro feels quite a bit snappier. I think I'll k
> eep the Pro as backup and cannibalize the E02 for
> the project.
>
> First test: E02 Power Supply (1 rail) on the Odroi
> d: Works just fine... was a bit of a chewing gum a
> nd duct tape job. Need to do some soldering over t
> he next days...

not had access to the tinterweb for a couple of days...just read your questions, you seem to have answered them without my input :)
March 09, 2017 03:38PM
Well, when in doubt, I am all for the pragmatic approach... could have gone wrong though... And your comment encouraged me to test it with one rail. So the comment is appreciated :)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.