Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ars: inmates-built-computers-hidden-in-ceiling-connected-them-to-prison-network

Posted by bodhi 
Ars: inmates-built-computers-hidden-in-ceiling-connected-them-to-prison-network
April 13, 2017 03:28AM
It should have been a disassembled Pogoplug :))

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/inmates-built-computers-hidden-in-ceiling-connected-them-to-prison-network/

Funny comment :))

ScottTFrazer

God damnit, Steve, I told you to set a rate limit on the torrent client.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2017 03:33AM by bodhi.
Re: Ars: inmates-built-computers-hidden-in-ceiling-connected-them-to-prison-network
April 13, 2017 04:20AM
lol saw that
Re: Ars: inmates-built-computers-hidden-in-ceiling-connected-them-to-prison-network
April 13, 2017 06:36AM

Randall Meyer, the Ohio inspector general, said the prison's lax supervision allowed a situation akin to "an episode from Hogan's Heroes."

"It surprised me that the inmates had the ability to not only connect these computers to the state's network but had the ability to build these computers," Meyer said.
Those inmates could have learnt from this forum on how to assemble the parts?
Add a 3D printer and they could print cigarettes! :-)
And weapons :-(

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
April 13, 2017 07:43PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Add a 3D printer and they could print cigarettes!
> :-)
> And weapons :-(
>
Wouldn't it be wiser to print keys to unlock cell and/or prison as well as badges?
habibie Wrote:

> Wouldn't it be wiser to print keys to unlock cell
> and/or prison as well as badges?

Depends, if we're in a Beverly Hills jail, I'll stay behind and live more luxuriously than most people do on the outside. But if it's a... foreign... prison, you lead the way :-D,

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
April 13, 2017 11:07PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> habibie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Wouldn't it be wiser to print keys to unlock celland/or prison as well as badges?
>
> Depends, if we're in a Beverly Hills jail, I'll stay behind and live more luxuriously than most people do on the outside. But if it's a... foreign... prison, you lead the way :-D,
>
Well, I believe a foreign prison that isn't as luxury a Beverly Hills jail will probably not have a 3-D printer facility.
Yeah you'd want to print badges then, so you could take the computer with you. After waiting for all those torrents you don't want to lose those, right? :-D Or forward the IP and get to your stuff from the outside.

To the windowless van across the street: I'm joking (lol)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
April 14, 2017 01:36AM
Guys,

The ingenuity of the hack. I don't mean to talk about prison life, you guys are upstanding citizens (or so I believe, ever been in jail? :))

Look at the pics, I'm curious and wondering about what type of computer they built from parts.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
April 14, 2017 06:23AM
Bodhi, you are right.

When I first read the OP, I thought it was a Pogoplug device they used, but couldn't find the device from the pictures in the article.
bodhi Wrote:
> Guys,
> you guys are upstanding citizens
> (or so I believe, ever been in jail? :))
>

-edited- I've heard the reverb is outstanding! Or...
The reverb is outstanding I've heard.

But seriously, what caught my attention was "Wait, we don't use ports 10 and 16. But the inmates do."
And I too wonder what kind of computers they used, if they were maybe Pis or something. I seriously doubt they're going to smuggle a couple of ATX cases, but it remains to be seen what goods were donated to the prison program by the tech company.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2017 01:09AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
April 21, 2017 12:31PM
bodhi Wrote:
you guys are upstanding citizens
> (or so I believe, ever been in jail? :))

I thought all us hackers were classed as criminals at some time or another??
April 21, 2017 04:14PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
> bodhi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> you guys are upstanding citizens
> > (or so I believe, ever been in jail? :))
>
> I thought all us hackers were classed as criminals
> at some time or another??

:) right!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.