Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 22, 2017 06:54PM
How do you all do to distinguish one TF card from another? I'm lucky one is Sandisk and the other Samsung (I think). But if I get another one, things likely to get complicated. Already I have less important TF cards for other reasons like tablet and whatnot, and right there is enough reason to get the right jewelry box, chocolate box or some other way to store and manage them.

But while we're at it, see the picture that's attached? It's not real; rather Photoshop, but would that be great to have a couple of those. We know SD cards plug into USB 2 and 3 with an adapter, so can that work the other way around?

Thanks! I feel better getting that out there :-)

=========
-=Cloud 9=-
Attachments:
open | download - TFMaleToUSB3FemaleAdapter.jpg (13.2 KB)
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 22, 2017 07:24PM
Joey,

I'd doubt if the SD card slot has enough power for USB (which could be up to 500mA), but I could be wrong. Look for the specs for SD card slot and see what is the max Amp.

-bodhi
===========================
Wiki
latest Kirkwood kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-kirkwood builds
latest Oxnas kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-oxnas builds
latest MVEBU Armada kernel builds and rootfs
U-Boot & Kernel Booting process
bodhi's u-boot GitHub
bodhi's corner



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 07:29PM by bodhi.
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 23, 2017 01:10AM
Probably need to supply power to the USB part, but so far I don't see great documentation & pinouts.

Would that be a lifesaver for any hardware that uses TF cards though, for experimentation. Otherwise by the time I get fluent with the X2 the card slot will be wore out or at least the spring broke.

Someone will figure it out, because if it's possible to work it that way the economics (and ergonomics) would pay for itself the first time you use a USB stick.

=========
-=Cloud 9=-
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 23, 2017 10:43AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But while we're at it, see the picture that's attached? It's not real; rather Photoshop, but would that be great to have a couple of those. We know SD
> cards plug into USB 2 and 3 with an adapter, so can that work the other way around?
>
The closest I found is this TF / Micro SD TO SD Card Extension Cable where it has a male microSD head that can slide into a microSD slot. Perhaps, you can mod the cable along with a USB cable to achieve your goal?
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 23, 2017 12:10PM
habibie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The closest I found is this [url=https://www.aliex
> press.com/item/TF-Micro-SD-TO-SD-Card-Extension-Ca
> ble-Adapter-Flexible-Extender-MicroSD-Male-To-SD-S
> DHC/32733268441.html]TF / Micro SD TO SD Card Exte
> nsion Cable[/url]

It's beautiful Habibie, sniffle. The only other clue I have to go on, is there's a chip in a regular USB3.0-to-MicroSD adapter that ought to be there. So if I were to experiment I'd start with USB 2.0 for the female end because that seems to be bare wires..

=========
-=Cloud 9=-
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 23, 2017 12:31PM
Joey,

Just a thought.

We know the data (not sure about power) path of any USB to microSD card readers is bi-directional. Perhaps, you can simply make your own cable using the following items:
  1. 2x of the TF / Micro SD TO SD Card Extension Cable
  2. Any universal USB/microSD adapter, i.e. Universal 3 in1 OTG Type-C Card Reader USB 3.0 USB A Micro USB Combo to 2 Slot TF SD Type C Card Reader for Smartphone PC, etc.
  3. A female USB to USB female adapter.

    All you need is to assemble cables in #1 above so that they are in piggyback to form a male2male cable. Then, use it with the USB2microSD adapter + the USB female to USB female adapter. Besides the above assumption, this approach will probably and/or only works if the USB2microSD dongle will be able to get its power from the microSD port to supply to any USB device attached to the USB port.
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 23, 2017 01:02PM
Along with your innovation to use an actual card adapter, how about this: Buy two TF Micro SD To SD Card Extension Cables, cut the ribbon and solder the wires backwards. Insert into Card reader. Add female-female USB side.

And if it worked, add USB 3.0 power off a USB 2 slot or two.

That way any Armbian-compatible box would be a fantastic present for family. IF they screw something up they can switch USB sticks or unplug easier without getting the little TF card stuck in the carpet when it flies out.

I knew this day as going to be good!

=========
-=Cloud 9=-
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 23, 2017 10:24PM
Here's an afterthought:

Today I was talking with great neighbors of mine, whose Windows computers I've maintained quarterly for 5 years. The guy gave me a $20 tip for how happy they are. So I SCREAM up to Best Buy to get a Samsung EVO 32GB for $12.99. I was going to use it in one of the Beelinks. THEN I read it goes 20 MB/sec writes! And random writes around 3 MB/sec!

This is pretty slow for writes! Sure, 80MB/sec is acceptable in my world for reads, but to think this is on sale and no better than USB 2.0 is a crying shame! Now if it were possible to have a USB 3.0 receptacle.... oh... thinking out loud.
Okay, USB 3.0 isn't supposed to boot, right? Unless the firmware said it was bootable.

So the thought to ponder is, why does microSD card boot and USB 3.0 doesn't?

=========
-=Cloud 9=-



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2017 10:25PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 23, 2017 10:36PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's an afterthought:
>
> Today I was talking with great neighbors of mine,
> whose Windows computers I've maintained quarterly
> for 5 years. The guy gave me a $20 tip for how hap
> py they are. So I SCREAM up to Best Buy to get a S
> amsung EVO 32GB for $12.99. I was going to use it
> in one of the Beelinks. THEN I read it goes 20 MB/
> sec writes! And random writes around 3 MB/sec!
>
> This is pretty slow for writes! Sure, 80MB/sec is
> acceptable in my world for reads, but to think thi
> s is on sale and no better than USB 2.0 is a cryin
> g shame! Now if it were possible to have a USB 3.0
> receptacle.... oh... thinking out loud.
> Okay, USB 3.0 isn't supposed to boot, right? Unles
> s the firmware said it was bootable.
>
> So the thought to ponder is, why does microSD card
> boot and USB 3.0 doesn't?

Joey,

The USB 3.0 driver for uboot is not ready in mainline. Eventually it will. SD card has existed in embedded Linux devices a lot longer.

-bodhi
===========================
Wiki
latest Kirkwood kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-kirkwood builds
latest Oxnas kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-oxnas builds
latest MVEBU Armada kernel builds and rootfs
U-Boot & Kernel Booting process
bodhi's u-boot GitHub
bodhi's corner
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 24, 2017 12:13AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Along with your innovation to use an actual card adapter, how about this: Buy two TF Micro SD To SD Card Extension Cables, cut the ribbon and solder the wires backwards. Insert into Card reader. Add female-female USB side.
>
Isn't the above the same as I said in my previous post?
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 24, 2017 02:08AM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Joey,
>
> The USB 3.0 driver for uboot is not ready in mainl
> ine. Eventually it will. SD card has existed in em
> bedded Linux devices a lot longer.

You are a good man sir, and the name bodhi will be praised at my dinner table :-)

habibie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Isn't the above the same as I said in my previous
> post?

I got the USB-USB part from you, but didn't see the microSD-to-microSD, as I was still frustrated not having figured out a display problem yet. All good now.

Maybe it's a good time to go off topic: I don't know what's going to happen this week, world tensions and all. There's many tell-tale signs if a war is going to happen it'll be this week. If it happens and is limited (the rest of the world isn't covered in fallout) then the last five months of my trickle of income was well spent. Hard drives, RAM, another Beelink X2 to compliment the gift box, and 6 x USB 3.0 retrofits to my other computers, as well as hoarding Gigabit routers has been my activity in case prices skyrocket or availability shrinks. But regardless, sometimes I need a haircut and socks! So I probably won't be ordering eBay for a while.
And really, think about how likely war seems right now. Maybe a week from now we can laugh at my concern or paranoia, but I encourage anyone who'll listen, to take a moment and think of our involvement in computers and its role in the world. Seems everyone in the world has a voice now yet none of the voices are enough to prevent the world from slipping below its capacity to sustain itself, even without war making matters worse.

We've got to save the world! Now I'll get some sleep. These are the good old (hours) :-)

*Oh yeah, Habibie, you said it first, SD to SD LOL

=========
-=Cloud 9=-
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 24, 2017 05:10AM
> Maybe it's a good time to go off topic: I don't kn
> ow what's going to happen this week, world tension
> s and all. There's many tell-tale signs if a war i
> s going to happen it'll be this week. If it happen
> s and is limited (the rest of the world isn't cove
> red in fallout) then the last five months of my tr
> ickle of income was well spent. Hard drives, RAM,
> another Beelink X2 to compliment the gift box, and
> 6 x USB 3.0 retrofits to my other computers, as we
> ll as hoarding Gigabit routers has been my activit
> y in case prices skyrocket or availability shrinks

My money is tied up in tin foil and corned beef hash.
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 24, 2017 08:19AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe it's a good time to go off topic: I don't know what's going to happen this week, world tensions and all. There's many tell-tale signs if a war is going to happen it'll be this week. If it happens and is limited (the rest of the world isn't covered in fallout) then the last five months of my trickle of income was well spent. Hard drives, RAM, another Beelink X2 to compliment the gift box, and 6 x USB 3.0 retrofits to my other computers, as well as hoarding Gigabit routers has been my activity in case prices skyrocket or availability shrinks. But regardless, sometimes I need a haircut and socks! So I probably won't be ordering eBay for a while.
> And really, think about how likely war seems right now. Maybe a week from now we can laugh at my concern or paranoia, but I encourage anyone who'll listen, to take a moment and think of our involvement in computers and its role in the world. Seems everyone in the world has a voice now yet none of the voices are enough to prevent the world from slipping below its capacity to sustain itself, even with
> out war making matters worse.
>
Well thought. I just hope thing like that won't happen. Shall it happen, it ought to be for some good reasons to promote and certainly not to destroy humanity.
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 24, 2017 11:21AM
feas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> My money is tied up in tin foil and corned beef ha
> sh.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not the Alex Jones conspiracy type. Before the winter I feared price hikes because of political fears not war.

If I really feared war I'd have gone to a recreational (non-corned beef) hash State :-)

=========
-=Cloud 9=-
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 24, 2017 12:54PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> feas Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > My money is tied up in tin foil and corned beef
> ha
> > sh.
>
> Don't get me wrong; I'm not the Alex Jones conspir
> acy type. Before the winter I feared price hikes b
> ecause of political fears not war.
>
> If I really feared war I'd have gone to a recreati
> onal (non-corned beef) hash State :-)

Nothin to do with conspiracies. The foil will protect all those electronics, make antennas, reflect heat, start fires not to mention protect body parts should you need to start repopulating the earth and the corned beef hash... well a guys got to eat after all the repopulating ;)
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 24, 2017 02:14PM
feas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothin to do with conspiracies. The foil will prot
> ect all those electronics, make antennas, reflect
> heat, start fires not to mention protect body part
> s should you need to start repopulating the earth
> and the corned beef hash... well a guys got to eat
> after all the repopulating ;)

Solar panels and lighters and we're all set!
-update- and extra reading glasses. I saw The Twilight Zone's "There Was Time Now" episode :-)

=========
-=Cloud 9=-



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2017 03:02PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 24, 2017 03:54PM
feas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothin to do with conspiracies. The foil will protect all those electronics, make antennas, reflect heat, start fires not to mention protect body parts should you need to start repopulating the earth and the corned beef hash... well a guys got to eat after all the repopulating ;)
>
If I understand correctly, a metal will act as a conductor. Unless it is grounded, it will collect to conduct signals to nearest objects, right?
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 24, 2017 05:30PM
Quote
feas
should you need to start repopulating the earth and the corned beef hash... well a guys got to eat after all the repopulating ;)
Quote
joey
Maybe a week from now we can laugh at my concern or paranoia
Quote
habibie
to destroy humanity.

:) Think about it, why does this subject even a topic that we can't resist at the moment in a technical forum? I won't laugh at Joey in 1 week, I'll wait for about 3.8 years :))

-bodhi
===========================
Wiki
latest Kirkwood kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-kirkwood builds
latest Oxnas kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-oxnas builds
latest MVEBU Armada kernel builds and rootfs
U-Boot & Kernel Booting process
bodhi's u-boot GitHub
bodhi's corner



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2017 10:56PM by bodhi.
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 25, 2017 01:50PM
Looks like Kim Jong-un struck.
I was awoken at 3am this morning by police banging on my door. Apparently the building was on fire. I quickly threw on some sweat pants and a hoodie, grabbed my bug out bag and threw my laptop and the kids electronics in my flight bag and scooted down the wallk away from the fire trucks to the far parking lot.
I was fairly lucky damage wise, so far just smoke and water damage. There are 16 units with varying degrees of damage. Apparently the fire burst a water line in an apartment above and to the side of me which the fire department said helped greatly in containing the fire from spreading further. A neighbors 2 doors down had their ceiling collapse from the water.
So far speculation is that there was a wiring issue on the other side of the building in the attic space and they had to cut a hole in the roof to spray the fire.
The red cross (thank you to those that give) gave me a couple hundred dollars in a debit card that I used to get a hotel room until sat morning. The insurance I had to get with the apartment which is included in my rent does not cover temp lodging. Red cross says they will call me in a couple of days to follow up and see about a shelter if I am still in need.

Lesson learned is I forgot to grab the tin foil so my electronic are vulnerable should tensions escalate and N Korea makes a rocket that works.

On a good note, my dreamplugs finally came in the mail today so I get to play with something while waiting to see how the worlds tensions play out.

Sorry for the additional off topic remark but I thought it would go well with the previous one.
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 25, 2017 02:21PM
Wow feas, my thoughts & sympathies are with you all. And glad the DreamPlugs came in :-)
I imagined you were going to say you're posting from the RPis you donated at the hospital or library.

Glad for the Red Cross and that you're safe. Is your internet connection good from the Motel?

=========
-=Cloud 9=-
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 25, 2017 03:08PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow feas, my thoughts & sympathies are with you al
> l. And glad the DreamPlugs came in :-)
> I imagined you were going to say you're posting fr
> om the RPis you donated at the hospital or library
> .
>
> Glad for the Red Cross and that you're safe. Is yo
> ur internet connection good from the Motel?

Thanks for your support. I still have the items to donate yet. I need a few more things to buy and still some writing/configuring to do.
I think I may have found the problem I have been having in getting the pizero's to connect to the internet thru the usb cable. One issue may be a driver for usb gadgets and the others may be configuration differences relating to the Raspbian way of doing things.
If all goes well I might use the dreamplugs as a secure (tinc) mesh network between the two local children's hospitals so they can share their work with each other but it will also depend on the hospitals system admins policies.

The hotel connection seems fine so far. I haven't tried to do any streaming or download anything yet though.
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 25, 2017 05:13PM
feas,

Sorry to hear that. That must have been like running away from bullets flying :)

> If all goes well I might use the dreamplugs as a s
> ecure (tinc) mesh network between the two local ch
> ildren's hospitals so they can share their work wi
> th each other but it will also depend on the hospi
> tals system admins policies.
>

I think that will be difficult. Most hospitals, network that are connected to WAN might not get bridged to even guess wifi.

-bodhi
===========================
Wiki
latest Kirkwood kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-kirkwood builds
latest Oxnas kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-oxnas builds
latest MVEBU Armada kernel builds and rootfs
U-Boot & Kernel Booting process
bodhi's u-boot GitHub
bodhi's corner
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 25, 2017 07:14PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> feas,
>
> Sorry to hear that. That must have been like runni
> ng away from bullets flying :)

Nope, not even close.
>
> > If all goes well I might use the dreamplugs as a
> s
> > ecure (tinc) mesh network between the two local
> ch
> > ildren's hospitals so they can share their work
> wi
> > th each other but it will also depend on the hos
> pi
> > tals system admins policies.
> >
>
> I think that will be difficult. Most hospitals, ne
> twork that are connected to WAN might not get brid
> ged to even guess wifi.

I figured it would have to be on the guest network to begin with so as not to be a possible breach to HIPPA (sp).
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 25, 2017 07:38PM
> > Sorry to hear that. That must have been like run
> ni
> > ng away from bullets flying :)
>
> Nope, not even close.

I know (first hand as civilian :) I'm exagerating but forgot to use ":)))"

-bodhi
===========================
Wiki
latest Kirkwood kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-kirkwood builds
latest Oxnas kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-oxnas builds
latest MVEBU Armada kernel builds and rootfs
U-Boot & Kernel Booting process
bodhi's u-boot GitHub
bodhi's corner
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 25, 2017 07:57PM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > > Sorry to hear that. That must have been like r
> un
> > ni
> > > ng away from bullets flying :)
> >
> > Nope, not even close.
>
> I know (first hand as civilian :) I'm exagerating
> but forgot to use ":)))"

It takes a bit more now to get the blood flowing doesn't it.
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 26, 2017 06:46AM
Re: Labeling TF cards & backwards TF to USB adapting?
April 26, 2017 06:53AM
Quote

I figured it would have to be on the guest network to begin with so as not to be a possible breach to HIPPA (sp).

Hope that is stringently enforced!

Similar topic, the OPM system fisaco a few years ago, it was so poorly protected that was a joke.

-bodhi
===========================
Wiki
latest Kirkwood kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-kirkwood builds
latest Oxnas kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-oxnas builds
latest MVEBU Armada kernel builds and rootfs
U-Boot & Kernel Booting process
bodhi's u-boot GitHub
bodhi's corner
Author:

Your Email:


Subject:


Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Message: