Ugreen Sata to USB 3.0 Adapter
August 12, 2017 07:46AM
I received an ad for this Ugreen Sata to USB 3.0 Adapter Cable Hard Disk Driver SSD Sata HDD Converter and wonder if anyone here has used it, especially on any Seagate GoFLEX Home/NET SATA HDD inside their respective enclosure (which added the dept on the SATA port). I can't tell from the picture if the SATA plug on this item is taller than the standard one. The SATA port on any Seagate GoFLEX Home/NET SATA HDD is taller than any standard USBx/SATA plug due to the added thickness of its enclosure.
Re: Ugreen Sata to USB 3.0 Adapter
August 12, 2017 04:27PM
Thanks habibie,

That's an interesting adapter! but it looks like a female adapter just like the SATA slot on GoFlex Net/Home. I wonder if it works to provide USB 3.0 with another male-male SATA connector plugged into the GoFlex Net/Home.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
August 13, 2017 08:40AM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks habibie,
>
> That's an interesting adapter! but it looks like a female adapter just like the SATA slot on GoFlex Net/Home. I wonder if it works to provide USB 3.0 with another male-male SATA connector plugged into the GoFlex Net/Home.
>
Bodhi,

Every now and then, I want to be able to attach any of my Seagate GoFLEX Home/NET SATA HDD (still inside their respective enclosure) to my computer's USBx port to perform some works, i.e. maintenance, etc. An ordinary USBx/SATA cable with a standard SATA prong does not have enough length to reach a SATA port enclosed in any Seagate GoFLEX Home/NET SATA HDD enclosure mainly because the additional layer of a wall thickness of such a SATA HDD enclosure. So, instead of investing on a costly single purpose Seagate GoFLEX USBx/SATA adapter to do this task, I believe this multi-purposes device that probably costs less will fit my bill. However, my concern is about the length of if its SATA prong whether it's long enough to reach a SATA HDD resides in any Seagate GoFLEX Home/NET enclosure. From its picture in the ad, it does not look so.
August 13, 2017 05:20PM

a costly single purpose Seagate GoFLEX USBx/SATA adapter

Yes, this Goflex adapter is not necessary at all. Usually you would be able to do the same with USB 2.0 adapter that costs US$ 5 or less on eBay.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 05:21PM by bodhi.
August 13, 2017 06:14PM
bodhi Wrote:
>

a costly single purpose Seagate GoFLEX USBx/SATA adapter
>
> Yes, this Goflex adapter is not necessary at all. Usually you would be able to do the same with USB
> 2.0 adapter that costs US$ 5 or less on eBay.
>
I don't think any USBx/SATA adapter will work. See my explanation above.
August 13, 2017 06:31PM
> I don't think any USBx/SATA adapter will work. See
> my explanation above.

Understood. How about a 22-pin SATA male-female extension cable in between?

I think you can trim the sleeve to fit. That cable would be 1-2 $.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 06:39PM by bodhi.
August 15, 2017 07:49AM
bodhi Wrote:
> > I don't think any USBx/SATA adapter will work. See my explanation above.
>
> Understood. How about a 22-pin SATA male-female extension cable in between?
>
> I think you can trim the sleeve to fit. That cable would be 1-2 $.
>
I had that thought before to sand off all the four sides on this SATA 22Pin 7+15 Pin Male Plug to SATA 22Pin 7+15 Pin Female Jack Convertor, but, they all add up to a jack up the total price. If the Ugreen Sata to USB 3.0 Adapter were around $5, then I wouldn't mind. But, now its price is back to normal.
August 15, 2017 04:59PM
habibie,

I think your best cost effective solution is a toaster (HDD dock) and this SATA 22Pin 7+15 Pin Male Plug to SATA 22Pin 7+15 Pin Female Jack Convertor.

With the toaster, you can have enough power for 3.5" HDD such as the Seagate Desk usually plugged into the GoFlex Home. Any other more expensive solution would limit you to 2.5" HDD. The toaster is versatile for any situation, and it costs less if it uses USB 2.0.

OTOH, if you use only 2.5" GoFlex drive, then a USB 2.0 to SATA 22pin adapter costs about 5-6$ on eBay.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
August 16, 2017 06:21AM
i use a toaster....
August 16, 2017 08:21AM
bodhi Wrote:
> habibie,
>
> I think your best cost effective solution is a toaster (HDD dock) and this SATA 22Pin 7+15 Pin Male Plug to SATA 22Pin 7+15 Pin Female Jack Convertor.
>
I am not sure what exactly did you mean by a toaster, but I bought this Syba SY-ENC50082 USB 3.0 SATA III HDD USB Charging & Docking station from NewEGG (I think it was free after a rebate). It has a single slot to accommodate either a 2.5" or 3.5" bare SATA HDD. A SATA HDD inside a Seagate GoFLEX Home/NET enclosure will certainly not fit into such a slot. Besides that, the SATA prong inside the slot is located so close to the wall of the slot with a spare of probably < 1 mm. This means one really needs to sand off one side of the SATA 22Pin 7+15 Pin Male Plug to SATA 22Pin 7+15 Pin Female Jack Convertor to really fit into the SATA prong.

> OTOH, if you use only 2.5" GoFlex drive, then a USB 2.0 to SATA 22pin adapter costs about 5-6$ on eBay.
>
I thought of that long ago, and decided not to invest my $$ on such a single-purpose cable.
August 16, 2017 06:28PM
Toaster is the nick name for the power HDDs dock. Since you insert 2 HDDs vertically into the 2 slots, it looks like 2 slices of sandwich bread being toasted :)

>
> > OTOH, if you use only 2.5" GoFlex drive, then a
> USB 2.0 to SATA 22pin adapter costs about 5-6$ on
> eBay.
> >
> I thought of that long ago, and decided not to inv
> est my $$ on such a single-purpose cable.

That's not really a single-purpose adapter. It will work for all barebone 2.5" HDDs. And with the female-male connector, it will work with the GoFlex drive.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
August 17, 2017 09:28AM
bodhi Wrote:
> Toaster is the nick name for the power HDDs dock. Since you insert 2 HDDs vertically into the 2 slots, it looks like 2 slices of sandwich bread being toasted :)
>
> >
> > > OTOH, if you use only 2.5" GoFlex drive, then a USB 2.0 to SATA 22pin adapter costs about 5-6$ on eBay.
> > >
> > I thought of that long ago, and decided not to invest my $$ on such a single-purpose cable.
>
> That's not really a single-purpose adapter. It will work for all barebone 2.5" HDDs. And with the female-male connector, it will work with the GoFlex drive.
That is exactly what I meant. It can't do other things, except to connect to a SATA HDD.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.