Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GoFlex Home real time clock -bad battery

Posted by maihoaomv 
GoFlex Home real time clock -bad battery
October 19, 2012 12:05PM
I finally got my GFH to boot debian 3.3.2 kernel from the hard drive. One of the problems I'm having is that during boot it refuses to fsck.

Checking root file system...fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
rootfs: Superblock last mount time (Fri Oct 19 14:39:39 2012,
	now = Wed Sep 12 12:16:53 2012) is in the future.

rootfs: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
	(i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck died with exit status 4
failed (code 4).
An automatic file system check (fsck) of the root filesystem failed. A manual fsck must be performed, then the system restarted. The fsck should be performed in maintenance mode with the root filesystem mounted in read-only mode. ... failed!
The root filesystem is currently mounted in read-only mode. A maintenance shell will now be started. After performing system maintenance, press CONTROL-D to terminate the maintenance shell and restart the system. ... (warning).
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

The reason fsck fails is that the real time clock (RTC) is not retaining the time because of a bad battery. As a result it sets the system date/time to a date before fsck was run on the partition which confuses fsck and causing it to fail at boot time. If I disable fsck in the /etc/fstab file it will boot all the way the up.

Is there a work around for this problem until I get around to opening the unit up and replacing the battery?
Is it possible to run NTP (to set the clock) prior to running fsck?

Update: I found a work around for the problem at http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45797#p261964
It's not what I wanted but it will do until I either replace the battery or find the soulation I was looking for.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2012 04:19PM by maihoaomv.
Re: GoFlex Home real time clock -bad battery
October 20, 2012 06:07AM
Maybe use this e2fsck.conf in /etc

# Automatically added during the installation of the e2fsprogs package
# because we detected you were installing on an ARM-Versatile platform.
# These options stop e2fsck from erroring/requiring manual intervention
# when it encounters bad time stamps on filesystems -- which happens on
# the Versatile platform because QEMU does not have RTC (real time clock)
# support.
#
[options]
        accept_time_fudge = 1
        broken_system_clock =1
I have it on all my dockstars and pogo's that don't have rtc
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.