Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Display for pogoplug?

Posted by velo 
Display for pogoplug?
May 22, 2014 01:19PM
Hi!

I have a couple questions and hope someone can help.

I'm just getting started with hacking the pogoplug. It seems most folks are hacking the displays to work with dockstars or raspberry pis, but I haven't seen anything for the pogoplug. Since most of the work is in putting a new firmware on the display device, and then installing lcd4linux on the main device to send data to the display, then theoretically I should be able to install a display for the pogoplug as well. Is this right?

Also, is there a list of supported display devices? I want to make sure I buy the right one.

Thanks.
Re: Display for pogoplug?
May 22, 2014 02:36PM
It seems the knowntypes.py file from the dpf-ax bundle has all the known displays to date.
February 19, 2015 10:42PM
you can output video from a Pogoplug? Do tell. i notice there's pins inside my E02, from memory about 4 pins sitting next to about 8 pins. Is that what you'd output from? Truth be told I hoped it was a SATA port, and really I don't know what it's for.
February 20, 2015 07:08PM
The four pin connector is the serial port. I believe the eight pin connector is for JTAG.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2015 07:13PM by Frederick Grayson.
February 26, 2015 12:00AM
Serial as in SATA? I ask because that was one of the descriptions at NewEgg, but it seems they intentionally mis-label Pogoplugs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 12:03AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
February 26, 2015 08:16AM
Serial as on COMM port.
February 28, 2015 10:33PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Serial as in SATA? I ask because that was one of
> the descriptions at NewEgg, but it seems they
> intentionally mis-label Pogoplugs.

Some of the PogoPlugs do have an internal SATA port. The Pogoplug Pro and some of the BXX series that use the PLX Technology NAS7820 processor have an internal SATA port.

Ray
March 11, 2015 12:47AM
Thanks for that, Ray.

While we're on the topic of a GUI representation of a Pogoplug, I can't help but ask: would a thin client hooked-up to a Pogoplug see anything additionally? I ask because i scored some cheap Thin Clients at Goodwill, usually running Windows CE, and I'd be more than happy to use a Thin client to do things graphically from the Thin Client and set the Pogoplug to, for instance start running some torrents, then disconnect the Thin Client and let Pogo do it's 5-watt magic for weeks, then check again.

Tonight i tried many ways of trying to get a "desktop connection" from Windows CE to the Pogoplug running Arch Linux. No go aye?

Or I suppose the real question is, if Arch doesn't have gnome or something as a GUI, nothing using remote desktop can do it either?
Any recommendations?
March 11, 2015 03:22PM
To run a GUI ideally you need a graphics adaptor, which the Plug doesnt have. or you could hack a 2 1/2" or 3 1/2" photoframe, so with that in mind....

"desktop type options"

Webmin : really cant go far wrong with this as a starting point and no X-server to get in the way only needs a web browser.

or you could look into running remote x-sessions

if you were on Debian the following link would be your copy and paste bonanza you can do this in arch, however the package names may be slightly different and you would need to "translate" them to your distro of choice
March 13, 2015 02:00AM
being I see photoframes at thrift stores once in a while, I was wondering, say I found a compatible photoframe. What is used to connect it to the Pogoplug? USB cable?
March 13, 2015 05:00AM
USB cable
ahhh
March 14, 2015 07:01PM
Yeah in fact i have one laying around, has I think a mini USB jack but I'll hold off for now. And yeah you're right about Webmin. I'm getting acquainted with that a little better today and tonight.

Really,when i think of GUI or display, what's important to me is instantly seeing drives and folders. I still don't know how to tell PogoAlarm to mount any storage that's plugged into it. Or mount and tell Samba to include it.
Re: ahhh
March 16, 2015 01:31PM
the following link may help you.

http://kissmyarch.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/usb-automount.html

and if you set your samba share as the upper level directory to where you mount the drive then that should sort you out
KissMyOuch
March 16, 2015 07:28PM
-heavily edited-

a website called KissmyArch.. oh man, i needed that laugh today.

- first update: Arch wouldn't boot after following the original instructions to the letter.

What may have happened is, something to do with running Arch from the same kind of removable stick and then the new code tells it to mount and unmount anything that's a removable drive. Er something like that. But the backup shouldn't matter... so something else must be askew... awry.

Gravelrash
and if you set your samba share as the upper level directory to where you mount the drive then that should sort you out

I forgot that part because I have this tunnelvision problem when dealing with new stuff.
I'll experiment more but will try not to take away from this being a display topic.

Thank you much though, no help goes unappreciated; even keeps me out of trouble :-D

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 10:35AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: KissMyOuch
March 17, 2015 07:01AM
NM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 07:02AM by LeggoMyEggo.
NM?
March 17, 2015 10:33AM
What's NM mean? No More? LOL

After a good night's sleep I see my ramblings sound more confusing than necessary. So I edited it.
March 17, 2015 12:08PM
NM = Never mind. As in never mind upon further reflection I really didn't have anything to add to the conversation and I couldn't delete my post so my only choice is editing my post to say 'NM' as is typical in contemporary forum posting parlance.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.