Success with Tritton USB2VGA on Pogoplug Mobile
March 03, 2016 03:48PM
As detailed in my earlier thread on this usb-2-vga device, I had a lot of trouble getting it to work properly with my dockstar. In the end, I decided that since all I needed was the ability to run "slideshow" of graphics on the root window I wouldn't worry about all the problems I had with X crashing upon loading the various window managers &/or more than 1 or two Xterms or other windows.

I used "xloadimage" to do the image work & wrote a little script to manage that & it worked fine. So, I installed xorg & xload image on one of my Pogoplug "mobile" & was off. In the end a single USB host for the sound device & VGA device showed it's limitations so I pretty much decided on not wasting any more time on it.

BUT THEN, today I realized that I had NOT ever tried to run a full x-session on the pogo-plug, which is what gave me all the grief on the dockstar. Since I could NOT be sure it wasn't a botched package install or something, I gave it a try.

Woah... Sucess! Beleive it or not, I was able to fire up X, start the fluxbox window manager, load several xterms, an xlcock, an xcalc & even run my slideshow all without X crashing. The peformance wasn't even that bad. Go figure.

But, I went back to the dockstar, wiped it's flash/drive, put on a fresh install of Bodhi's Debian 3.18, configure it, xinstalled xorg, fluxbox & fired it up. Crash. So, it's something with the Dockstar... seems weird but there it is.

Anyway, the good news is this makes a very cheap very decent display adapter for (at least) the Pogoplug mobile (& probably the other 'plugs). They can be had on ebay for about $5. See my other thread for the needed xorg.conf settings.

Oh, & no, I could never force the USB2VGA dongle to put NTCS timings.. don't think that's really possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 09:17PM by craigcoffman.
Re: Success with Tritton USB2VGA on Pogoplug Mobile
March 03, 2016 04:20PM
well done sir!

I presume that you are describing the xorg conf file here as being the one that worked?
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?9,26260,26273#msg-26273

im currently going through the agony of attempting to get a graphics adaptor - onboard this time - to work, so far i have found that support for my graphics adaptor isnt carried through into jessie.

AGAIN : WELL DONE AND THANKS FOR SHARING
March 03, 2016 04:22PM
> But, I went back to the dockstar, wiped it's
> flash/drive, put on a fresh install of Bohdi's
> Debian 3.18, configure it, xinstalled xorg,
> fluxbox & fired it up. Crash. So, it's something
> with the Dockstar... seems weird but there it is.
>

Did you try to run run this PogoMobile rootfs on the Dockstar? you could clone the rootfs and try it on Docksar.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 03, 2016 09:09PM
gravelrash:

the only important part in the xorg.conf is the "device" part which specifies the driver to use:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Tritton USB-VGA"
Driver "sisusb"
VendorName "sis"
BoardName "unknown sis card"
Option "SWCursor" "off"
Option "HWCursor" "on"
Option "CRT1Gamma" "off"
EndSection

I putzed with tweaking the input section etc all in an attempt tot get Xworking properly on the dockstart & in the end that was all wasted time. Just the referenced bit is all that's needed.

to reiterate, this doesn't give you a display at boot. The display only becomes active when you start X.
March 03, 2016 09:15PM
Bodhi:

IIRC (now that I really think about it) the pogo plugs are running your Debian 3.14 kirkwood image. ONLY the dockstar is running the 3.18.

This is because:

1) I didn't know about the 3.18 image until you & exchanged messages about the problems I had with ugrading the "install" on the Dockstar, &

2) the Dockstar would not boot (if you recall) the 3.14 image no matter what I did, but did boot the 3.18 just fine.

This IS probably where the issue lies now that I think about it.. makes more sense than a hardware specific problem. If you want to, we can pursue this further, but I will probably need to lean on you some if we want to get that 3.14 image/fs booting on the dockstar so as to isolate the problem.
March 03, 2016 11:54PM
craigcoffman,

> think about it.. makes more sense than a hardware
> specific problem. If you want to, we can pursue
> this further, but I will probably need to lean on
> you some if we want to get that 3.14 image/fs
> booting on the dockstar so as to isolate the
> problem.

If you are running the new u-boot (2015.10) and rootfs 3.14 on the Dockstar then may be it's the DTB issue. The 3.14 does not have DTB (it was still a non-FDT kernel). So with the new u-boot you need to clear the DTB variable in u-boot (u-boot 2014.07 does not have this setup as default, but the 2015.10 does).

In Debian:
fw_setenv dtb_file

In serial console:
setenv dtb_file

If this still does not help, then we need serial/net console log.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 04, 2016 05:43AM
Bodhi:

I'm not real concerned about this, but will work this end if you want to dig into the X issue to make sure it's not something in the 3.18 tar-fs.

The dockstar is running an older arch-version of uboot... & we covered some issues related to the dtb file, etc. in this thread:

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,25827

There is also a serial console boot log posted there as well.

I will try your suggestions with regard to the dtb env variable, but let's make sure before I try that: this is an older arch-uboot, not your latest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2016 05:48AM by craigcoffman.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.