Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[SOLVED] Questions about Pogo V3 Classic with Kernel 4.14.176 Oxnas (OX820)

Posted by nnSlick 
[SOLVED] Questions about Pogo V3 Classic with Kernel 4.14.176 Oxnas (OX820)
April 27, 2020 06:19PM
Hi All (especially Bohdi),

Found a PogoPlug Classic after a move and trying to install the newest Debian on it, but run into a problem that I hope I can get help from you.

I flashed the newest Uboot loader an created a USB with the newest Debian filesystem on it. Booted the device and from netconsole, it looks like the kernel is booting (saw the message Starting kernel...) and the LED glows solid. The problem is that there is no network connectivity: I could not locate it on my LAN!

The weird thing is that I have a 250 GB HD attached to it via internal IDE and it has a very old (circa 2012) Alarm file system on it, and Alarm boots fine! Another weird thing is that when the device is booting from the HD I could not see any Uboot message on netconsole!

Any idea, everyone?

Thanks in advance for your time.
nnSlick.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2020 10:47PM by nnSlick.
Re: Questions about Pogo V3 Classic with Kernel 4.14.176 Oxnas (OX820)
April 27, 2020 09:40PM
nnSlick,

> I flashed the newest Uboot loader an created a USB
> with the newest Debian filesystem on it. Booted
> the device and from netconsole, it looks like the
> kernel is booting (saw the message Starting
> kernel...) and the LED glows solid. The problem is
> that there is no network connectivity: I could not
> locate it on my LAN!

Sounds like your rootfs has not been created correctly.

> The weird thing is that I have a 250 GB HD
> attached to it via internal IDE and it has a very
> old (circa 2012) Alarm file system on it, and
> Alarm boots fine! Another weird thing is that when
> the device is booting from the HD I could not see
> any Uboot message on netconsole!

That ALARM system was the original approach by kref and WarheadsSE. The SATA drive is booted directly, so it bypassed every thing else on NAND. In the HDD, there is a old u-boot image. So that's why you cannot see anything on netconsole. This SATA direct booting is no longer supported, and should be used for rescue purpose only.

So look at the rootfs again.

Or if you like, post the session when you install u-boot, and also the session when you create the rootfs here. Probably some minor mistakes during installation.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
April 27, 2020 09:42PM
To eliminate any DHCP problems, I modify the interfaces file in /etc to use a static IP address of my LAN, but same result: cannot see the PogoPlug on my LAN.

After booting using the old alarm file system, I looked at the dmesg file in the USB and these are a few last lines:

[    4.052843] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] 30529536 512-byte logical blocks: (15.6 GB/14.6 GiB)
[    4.066112] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[    4.070965] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
[    4.072110] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[    4.100346]  sda: sda1
[    4.112353] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
[   13.401384] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
[   17.577489] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
[   18.605954] random: nonblocking pool is initialized
[   26.510120] oxnas-gmac 40400000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control rx/tx

April 27, 2020 09:48PM
nnSlick,

dmesg don't have any activities during rootfs mounting. So you can only see that problem with serial console.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
April 27, 2020 09:48PM
Bodhi,

Thanks for creating a new thread for my question and your response. I will try to recreate the rootfs again and post the session. Your uboot seems to work fine since I can see and verify the messages via netconsol (until the 'Starting kernel' message.

nnSlick
[SOLVED] Re: Questions about Pogo V3 Classic with Kernel 4.14.176 Oxnas (OX820)
April 27, 2020 10:47PM
Bodhi,

Bingo! Redo the installation steps carefully using alarm and the USB drive boots into debian! Previously the debian USB drive was created on a x86 Linux (Arch) machine and perhaps I have missed something.

Really appreciate your help and responses. Now I can use this device as an NFS file server.

Thanks again,
nnSlick
Re: [SOLVED] Re: Questions about Pogo V3 Classic with Kernel 4.14.176 Oxnas (OX820)
April 27, 2020 10:55PM
Cool!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.