Posted by hacksome 
Re: Debian cannot boot on KD20 after flashing u-boot
July 15, 2020 03:27PM
Bodhi,

Bodhi

Plug in a USB thumb drive, and at serial console prompt,

usb reset
ext2ls usb 0:1 /

If you can see the USB drive top directory listing from these commands, then it is OK to use USB rootfs. And that is my example above for:

I tried these commands on the serial console, but did not get any response that looked like a USB device being recognized.
I am not certain about it, but I can only explain this that the stock SPL/U-boot combo has no code in it to handle USB devices in this stage yet. Only when a kernel is loaded I do see USB devices being recognized.

In the mean time I also installed Owncloud10 on this box to see if the extra memory would result in better performance because less swapping would be necessary. Unfortunately this was hardly the case. For example the feature of OC10 to generate thumbnails appeared to be so demanding on the cpu that less swapping did not make much difference. I suppose that the calculation power needed for this OC10 feature is just to much asked for a platform without hardware floating point unit.
With up- or downloading files there is no performance problem, but that was already OK on a Pogoplug.

I think I leave the USB booting for now, because being able to boot from a USB device was a ´nice to have´ feature. Even more so because using a SATA disk provides a much better data throughput then any USB device ever. So actually there is no urgent need for being able to boot from USB.

Thanks for all your assistance in this case to revert the mess that I had created myself because I had no idea of the intricate details involved with u-boot SPL etc.

I learned a lot from this:)

Maybe I can write a wiki how to have a Shuttle kd20 to boot from a regular SATA disk with just some modifications of the u-boot environment. Actually it is just what I have written here: https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,105494,106104#msg-106104
However doing that could be difficult without having a serial interface available.

hacksome
July 16, 2020 02:40PM
hacksome,

There is no need to figure out the USB booting, other than it could be used as a rescue system to boot the box when your HDD rootfs is bad.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
December 03, 2020 08:57AM
Hi Hacksome and Bodhi,

I do not want to hijack this thread but this is the latest activity on the KD20 I could find.

I'm having a hard time disassembling the device and the pictures that are referenced are not available anymore since Google+ is down.

Could you provide me with some pointers on how to get the device open to connect to the serial console?

Christiaan
December 03, 2020 11:31PM
Christiaan,

I don't have this device, so Hacksome will help you.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
December 06, 2020 02:47AM
Christiaan Wrote:
>
> I'm having a hard time disassembling the device
> and the pictures that are referenced are not
> available anymore since Google+ is down.
>
> Could you provide me with some pointers on how to
> get the device open to connect to the serial
> console?

You must pry the white plastic right side of the device from the aluminum. I started by opening the door and then carefully using a plastic opening tool there are 4 tabs on the top and 4 on the bottom of the right side. Two screws then need to be removed to take off the plastic front. This exposes 2 screws near the aluminum side which need to be removed. Then 2 additional screws at the rear near the aluminum side allow you to remove the cage from the aluminum base. You should be able to then see how to gain access to the circuit board.

Ray
December 10, 2020 11:57AM
Thanks, I've succesfully opened the device. The white plastic was also stuck at the front and back but going around all the sides with a plastic card unlocked all hooks.

Edit: also, apparently I've blown up the board when somehow the power plug short-circuited when plugging it into the wall outlet. Hopefully someone else that finds this on Google still finds use for the instructions ;)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2020 11:31AM by Christiaan.
September 01, 2021 02:22PM
Hello,

Does anyone still have KD20.zip file available here? Google does not find it any more.

WBR: Harri
TechGuy
December 06, 2022 02:02PM
Seeing how recent this thread is, I wanted to ask about recovering a KD20 from a red power LED - a couple years ago while upgrading to OpenWRT I managed to corrupt the firmware.

Recently I tried to break into it through the internal serial port and an FTDI232. I see activity on the converter on one LED, but there's no response from the NAS. It was suggested that I might be able to install a boot loader on the HDD and recover things that way.

This is all new territory for me - suggestions?

Thanx.
December 06, 2022 05:06PM
TechGuy,

See the Wiki thread

Booting Debian on Pogoplug

How to boot Pogo V3 from SATA (to unbrick), 2nd How to Post

That SATA booting tutorial should work for all OXNAS SoC boxes. The 2nd howto is a bit more refined, so use it first.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2022 05:07PM by bodhi.
TechGuy
December 06, 2022 08:34PM
Many thanks, I'll give that a go.
TechGuy
December 07, 2022 10:29PM
So, I gather that the ox820-sata-uboot.tar.gz file can be used as is for the KD20?
It was not easy to find ...

Thanks.
December 07, 2022 10:54PM
TechGuy,

These boxes can run the same kernel, since they have the exact same SoC:

ox820-pogoplug-pro.dtb
ox820-kd20.dtb
ox820-akitio.dtb
ox820-pogoplug-classic.dtb
ox820-stg212.dtb

OTOH, the new u-boot was developed mainly for the Pogoplug V3 OXNAS boxes (Pro and Classic).

Each stock u-boot (even coming from the same source code) could be tweaked slightly by the box manufacturer. So that same u-boot woorking fine for the Pogoplug V3, might have problem booting other boxes. You just have to try.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.