Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

install script (wheezy) fails at point "chroot /tmp/debian..." -> kernel too old (????)

Posted by lcg 
lcg
install script (wheezy) fails at point "chroot /tmp/debian..." -> kernel too old (????)
November 22, 2012 05:34AM
Dear all,

the install script for Debian Wheezy (http://projects.doozan.com/debian/) fails with:

---
I: Extracting zlib1g...
W: Failure trying to run: chroot /tmp/debian mount -t proc proc /proc
W: See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for details
debootstrap failed.
See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for more information.
---

It is a brand-new dockstar, nothing changed or done with it whatsoever before. As /dev/sda a WD Red (2TB) works:

---
-bash-3.2# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 123 987966 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 124 186 506047+ 82 Linux swap
---

The logfile /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log reports:

---
(...)
Connecting to cdn.debian.net (195.71.68.86:80)
zlib1g_1%3a1.2.7.dfs 100% |*******************************| 87460 --:--:-- ETA
FATAL: kernel too old
-bash-3.2#
---

The relevant part for downloading (dependencies) is:
---
(...)
I: Resolving dependencies of required packages...
I: Resolving dependencies of base packages...
I: Found additional required dependencies: insserv libbz2-1.0 libdb5.1 libsemanage-common libsemanage1 libslang2 libustr-1.0-
I: Found additional base dependencies: adduser cpio debian-archive-keyring devio gnupg gpgv initramfs-tools klibc-utils kmod
libapt-pkg4.12 libbsd0 libedit2 libgcrypt11 libgnutls26 libgpg-error0 libgssapi-krb5-2 libidn11 libk5crypto3 libkeyutils1 lib
klibc libkmod2 libkrb5-3 libkrb5support0 libncursesw5 libp11-kit0 libprocps0 libreadline6 libssl1.0.0 libstdc++6 libtasn1-3 l
ibudev0 libusb-0.1-4 libuuid-perl libwrap0 linux-base linux-image-3.2.0-4-kirkwood openssh-client procps readline-common u-bo
ot-tools vim-common
I: Checking component main on http://cdn.debian.net/debian...
(...)
---

The full log is attached (dockstar.log). So what can I do or what's wrong? I am a little bit helpless, because I am not used to embedded devices (I am used to grub etc on x86 hardware where I have a monitor and a keyboard) and I don't yet understand the complex environment of uboot, etc. The dockstar is still at the point outlined above (open ssh connection) and I would be very very happy to successfully finish the install because I need it asap as working nfs server.

Questions:
(1) what's the problem? The script automatically downloads everything, so why is the kernel too old?
(2) is the whole pogoplug environment (from where the install is started) already distorted or is it possible to reboot into it?
(3) can I just use the squeeze script at this point (or reboot needed) although I strongly prefer wheezy

Thanks a lot! I am also happy for some explanations to better understand it to do it on my own next time.

best wishes
leo
Attachments:
open | download - dockstar.log (20.7 KB)
I have the same problem. Has anybody an idea?
Re: install script (wheezy) fails at point "chroot /tmp/debian..." -> kernel too old (????)
December 17, 2012 04:13PM
Are you trying to update from the unmodified filesystem?? Maybe you'll want to install debian squeeze before and then try to upgrade it (or choose the squeeze's way). If you feel more confortable with lastest packages access and easy & reliable install then I suggest you http://archlinuxarm.org. They have better support

Both installs will replace your bootloader but you can also be able to boot the stock firmware if you want ...
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.