Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogo V2 not reachable after Debian install

Posted by Dirk 
Dirk
Pogo V2 not reachable after Debian install
December 19, 2012 12:47AM
Hi folks,

I am experiencing problems with my first attempt to install debian. The installation of squeeze went through, but after that the device disappeared from the router.
I did a network scan and found a cloud engines device at 169.254.102.7 but I can´t SSH into it. My router is at 192.168.1.2...
If I boot without USB, the stock system starts and it gets an IP from the dhcp. I must admit, I am a linux beginner, but I am willing to learn a lot and bought this device to do my first steps...

Best,
Dirk
Dirk
Re: Pogo V2 not reachable after Debian install
December 19, 2012 01:54AM
My guess would be, that the device does not receive an ip by the dhcp? Any ideas why? I even had told the dhcp to give always 192.168.1.103 to its mac-adress. this works if i boot without the usb to the stock system, but not with the debian stick... :(
December 19, 2012 02:13AM
Look for Davy's rootfs image in this thread http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,7676. Create an new USB stick with that rootfs and try booting with it.
Dirk
December 19, 2012 04:44AM
Hi bodhi,

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your help very much.

Do you mean this Image?

kirkwood-debian_rootfs.img

At this location?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nwt2kbvetvgvroo/e-pNtdMhCC/Kirkwood/rootfs_images/NSA320quickstart

Do you have any hint for me how I get it onto the USB Stick using Windows7? I know... sorry...!
So after that, I boot with this new stick. And next, if it boots?

Best
Dirk
December 19, 2012 03:45PM
@Dirk,

Yes, that rootfs hosted by Davy will allow you to boot most (if not all) of Kirkwood boxes. To create your stick on Windows, you can try this tool: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer.

After it boots, change the password to your own on that system USB stick. And back this up so you got a good system to fall back on.

Next, you can either use that rootfs from now on, or try to rerun Jeff's Wheezy installation script again to create your fresh rootfs on another USB stick. Since you've run the Squeeze installation script once, latest uBoot already installed, it will detect that and skip the uBoot installation part.

Good luck!
Dirk
December 20, 2012 10:23AM
Hi Bodhi,

thank you! I did exactly whar you said, but I boots the original pogoplug system. Maybe the bootloader from Jeff did not install correctly? Hmmm...
Beginner´s dilemma... :(

Best
Dirk
December 20, 2012 10:46AM
Yes Dirk! U-boot was sucesfully installed. U-boot now checks for usb devices with a kernel in /boot/uImage, If cannot find any valid kernel loads the old bootloader, which loads the old pogoplug kernel & filesystem from nand. The old pogo kernel doesn't know anything about usb drives ( and you can boot even with an usb disk attached ) As bodhi suggested, maybe something on the installation went bad. This is something usual with debian, cause it doesn't provide a rootfs by itself, just the binaries and some awesome ( but more advanced) methods like debootstrap & multistrap to install the binaries. I would suggest you:

- format your drive with ext2 filesystem
- download lastest archlinuxarm rootfs http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-armv5te-latest.tar.gz
- uncompress it in the usb partition (as root or sudo)
- try to boot it.

Then, if you want back to debian you can use multistrap or current debootstrap scripts, but you proved that your pogo boots OK from usb!!!

Good Luck & Have Fun!
Dirk
December 20, 2012 12:20PM
Status update: very strange... I reinstalled the bootloader, though the routine said it is already properly installed. Then I tested

a) the initial install from jeff´s script
b) the rootfs image

no luck with both. I´ll try to install arch just to see if it is booting, however i think i will need debian, since I want to install and use shairplay. real a lot about problems with shairplay and arch. i also have a oxnas pogo, but as far as i know, shair play is not possible at all there.

will update after arch trial.

best and thanks so much for your help! it´s great!
dirk
Dirk
December 20, 2012 12:30PM
okay... it boots into arch now. however, being a noob, i dont know how to use multistrap or current debootstrap scripts.
dou you know of another method to install debian directly? think it´s really strange that the installation went through on the 1st attemps but it doesnt boot.

best
dirk
December 20, 2012 04:07PM
Dirk,

What brand is your USB stick? if you could, get a Sandisk stick and run Jeff's debian Squeeze script again. As pazos said, you have booted successfully with Arch so your uBoot install is good. But since you need Debian, I would try the wheezy script with a different USB stick. If you can't make it work, let me know.

Also, Davy's rootfs should work fine. Strange that it did not work for you. Perhaps the restore was not successful.

Addendum:

It seems Jeffs' Wheezy script now results in a "kernel too old" message. Perhaps Squeeze works better?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2012 12:17AM by bodhi.
Dirk
December 21, 2012 02:50AM
Hi Bodhi,

Success... I managed to get shairport running under arch. It was quite a ride for a linux noob and took a lot time and effort, but now it runs. At the moment I have only one problem left, which is off topic. I just can´t make it running as a service so I have to manually start it and if I close putty, it closes. This is of course not practicable. I´ll collect all scripts I altered and post it to a new thread. Maybe someone has an idea. Could also be, that I just don´t get how demons are handled by arch.

Best
Dirk
December 21, 2012 09:35AM
On the Kirkwood based plugs, they are handled by systemd. If you do not feel comfortable doing that, there is a recipe for using rc.local with systemd that you can use/replicate at the Systemd entry on the Arch wiki. Otherwise, I suggest screen :)
December 21, 2012 10:15AM
Hi Dirk,

on my dockstar with debian, this here worked fine:
http://dev.shyd.de/2011/11/shairport-debian-airtunes-server/

Regards, Dieter

PS: Has there been any special step to install shairport for Archlinux? I have a pogoplug running arch as well (oxnas)
December 21, 2012 03:42PM
Dirk, as Warhead suggested :-) screen command is a pretty good way to do solve your problem temporarily.
Dirk
December 25, 2012 02:36PM
Hi Dieter,

under Arch I used this tutorial.

http://www.jorgenajera.com/blog/airplay-speaker-arch-linux/

It worked well, but Shairport does not run as a service. I followed the hint in the comments:

> To run as a service:
>
> move the shairport.init.sample to /etc/rc.d (this part may be distro dependent)
> raname file to ‘shairport’ and edit DAEMON path to /usr/lib/shairport/shairport.pl
> rc.d start shaiport, resolve any niggling error. Then add as a normal service (again Distro dependent)

but it just does not work. Don´t know why actually.

At the moment I do not yet know the screen command. Will check that.

Best
Dirk
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.