Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kernel Too Old ???? Debian Wheezy on Pogoplug E02

Posted by ssharma 
ssharma
Kernel Too Old ???? Debian Wheezy on Pogoplug E02
December 29, 2012 12:44AM
I had Arch running on m y pogoplug .. but I wanted to switch to debian .. so I did this install using the doozan site.

At the end of the install it does a bunch of ..
tar: warning: skipping header 'x'
tar: warning: skipping header 'x'
FATAL: kernel too old

and bombos out .. saying mount failed on chrooot on /proc to /proc on debian .... ....

really .. Kernel too old :-) .. this is a doozy .. tried twice failed the same way .. arch installes but I hate it because the pacman is primitive
Re: Kernel Too Old ???? Debian Wheezy on Pogoplug E02
December 29, 2012 08:27AM
Yeah, wheezy install is having problem. You could install squeeze instead, and then apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade to wheezy.
ssharma
December 29, 2012 11:02AM
Thanks for the answer .. will try this path.
ssharma
December 29, 2012 11:52AM
No .. even squeeze is broken and doesn't install either. To me it seems a somewhat similar issue.
last night in wheezy it failed to mount /proc in chroot env. .. and then crapped out
Squeeze seems to be doing something similar in the end before dying-- there are a lot more errors in the log file relating to all kinds of issues

The following is the last few lines of the shell script output to screen as it dies ..

: Unpacking sysv-rc...
W: Failure while unpacking required packages. This will be attempted up to five times.
W: See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for details (possibly the package /var/cache/apt/archives/sysv-rc_2.88dsf-13.1+squeeze1_all.deb is at fault)
W: Failure while unpacking required packages. This will be attempted up to five times.
W: See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for details (possibly the package /var/cache/apt/archives/sysv-rc_2.88dsf-13.1+squeeze1_all.deb is at fault)
debootstrap failed.
See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for more information.

I see the following at the end of the log .. there are many many untar problems listed (time stamps) etc.. I didn't want to dump the whole thing here ......

S
electing previously deselected package sysv-rc.
Unpacking sysv-rc (from .../sysv-rc_2.88dsf-13.1+squeeze1_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/sysv-rc_2.88dsf-13.1+squeeze1_all.deb (--unpack):
 unable to sync file '/etc/rcS.d/README.dpkg-new': Input/output error
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/sbin/update-rc.d': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/doc/sysv-rc/changelog.Debian.gz': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/doc/sysv-rc/README.runlevels.gz': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/doc/sysv-rc/copyright': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/doc/sysv-rc/README.invoke-rc.d.gz': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/doc/sysv-rc/README.Debian': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/doc/sysv-rc/README.policy-rc.d.gz': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/doc/sysv-rc/changelog.gz': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/lintian/overrides/sysv-rc': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/man/man8/update-rc.d.8.gz': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/man/man8/invoke-rc.d.8.gz': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/usr/share/sysv-rc/saveconfig': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/etc/rc5.d/README': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/etc/init.d/rc': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/etc/init.d/README': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/etc/init.d/rcS': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/etc/rc4.d/README': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/etc/rc6.d/README': Permission denied
 unable to remove newly-extracted version of `/etc/rc3.d/README': Permission denied
dpkg: error while cleani  Pogoplug:/tmp/debian/debootstrap$
December 30, 2012 11:12PM
Looks the squeeze installer process is broken. From the installer trace:

W: http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/w/wget/wget_1.12-2.1_armel.deb was corrupt
W: Couldn't download package wget (ver 1.12-2.1 arc armel)
I: Retrieving xz-utils
I: Validating xz-utils
W: http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xz-utils/xz-utils_5.0.0-2_armel.d eb was corrupt
W: Couldn't download package xz-utils (ver 5.0.0-2 arc armel)
I: Retrieving zlib1g
I: Validating zlib1g
W: http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/z/zlib/zlib1g_1.2.3.4.dfsg-3_armel. deb was corrupt
W: Couldn't download package zlib1g (ver 1:1.2.3.4.dfsg-3 arc armel)
I: Chosen extractor for .deb packages: ar
W: Failure trying to run: chroot /tmp/debian mount -t proc proc /proc
debootstrap failed.
ssharma
December 31, 2012 05:11PM
Sorry
I take it back .. it seems that the USB flash drive craps out in middle of the install and that causes the problem on squeeze.
I was finally able to get squeeze installed .. and I even did a dist-upgrade to wheezy and it worked.

The problem is with cheap USB adapters for microflash .. don't buy the smallest size .. they overheat and stop working till they cool down.
Hello Everybody, an thanks for the fine installer and everything...!

I run into the very problem running the installation on a Pogoplug E02 and first thought of a broken USB drive as the installation stopped while extracting some package and the instructions on the porject web page explicitly mentioned USB drives as the most common reason for problems. Only when I changed the USB drive an rerun the installation I got the same error messages as the poster above. When I had found this posting using the Squeeze install script plus running a dist-upgrade did the job for me flawlessly. Does the error occur only with the Pogoplug E02, otherwise a hint in the instructions might be helpful?
W: Failure trying to run: chroot /tmp/debian mount -t proc proc /proc
W: See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for details
Thanks again for making it so easy to turn this device into something useful ;)
January 14, 2013 04:40AM
@ian,

I'm a little bit confused reading your post, do you still have problem? It sounds like installing "Squeeze, apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade" works for you on USB.
Hi bodhi, thanks for your reply!

bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @ian,
>
> I'm a little bit confused reading your post, do
> you still have problem? It sounds like installing
> "Squeeze, apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade"
> works for you on USB.

Yes it did. I had the exact same problem as the user above and the solution you suggestet worked fine for me as well. Thanks again.

I was trying to say apart from that was that if this bug affects more than only a few users it might be a good idea to mention it on the instructions page, as at first try without the error message above it might be mistaken for a USB issue and the instructions indicated that most problems were due to USB issues while it actually wasn't.

But anyways, all is fine now and I still saved a lot of work truning my pogoplug into something useful.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.