Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OpenWRT or Pogo NAND O/S for recovery partition?

Posted by BobM 
OpenWRT or Pogo NAND O/S for recovery partition?
October 29, 2020 07:09PM
Just looking for some advice. I have a variety of pogos E02, B03 & V4 which all boot into the native NAND O/S if there is no rootfs found on a external device.

I was just wondering whether it was best to stick with the original NAND OS or whether there was any mileage in updating the NAND to something like OpenWRT?

Thanks - Bob
Re: OpenWRT or Pogo NAND O/S for recovery partition?
October 29, 2020 10:36PM
Bob,

> I was just wondering whether it was best to stick
> with the original NAND OS or whether there was any
> mileage in updating the NAND to something like
> OpenWRT?

This box NAND is small (128MB), and has only 1 Ethernet port. So it is not good for a router (a rationale for OpenWrt).

OTOH, if you will put this box somewhere remotely from your residence, then it is probably worth installing OpenWrt (it has more capable tools to rescue your Debian rootfs than stock OS)..

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
November 03, 2020 03:35PM
It's the OTOH option that's the more interesting for me Bodhi.

I presume it can be installed into the normal NAND space even with the latest UBOOT installed.

My other slightly related question was - can I replace the standard busybox with the one inRegardas your tools tools tarbal (which has the printenv, setenv etc.) and would that be a quick simple upgrade to the built in OS?

Regards - Bob
November 03, 2020 03:50PM
Bob,

> I presume it can be installed into the normal NAND
> space even with the latest UBOOT installed.

All OpenWrt installation methods (that we have here) assume that you had installed latest u-boot.

> My other slightly related question was - can I
> replace the standard busybox with the one
> inRegardas your tools tools tarbal (which has the
> printenv, setenv etc.) and would that be a quick
> simple upgrade to the built in OS?
>

The busybox binary in the tarball was meant to provide various tools only. Not a replacement for one in stock OS. IOW, you can run "./busybox xxx", where xxx is a certain embedded command inside busybox, eg. flashcp.

The following add-ons would make it good enough for a rescue box using stock OS:

- My tools tarball, basically u-boot-tools and mtdutils, and other commands in busybox
- Also make sure you have functioning parted, fdisk (storage repair tools), nc (useful if you install a pair of Pogos remotely without serial console).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
November 03, 2020 03:58PM
Thanks Bodhi for the advice - much appreciated :)
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.