Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Zyxel NSA320s doesn't work with bodhi kernels > 5.6

Posted by mluk 
Zyxel NSA320s doesn't work with bodhi kernels > 5.6
November 09, 2020 04:03AM
Hi :)

I installed a recent uboot and a Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi on my Zyxel NSA320s (on USB flash). It was working fine.

Then I wanted to upgrade kernel to the newer one. The last kernel that works reliably is 5.6.5. Newer kernels don't work.

I finally configured netconsole, so I'm now able to see the kernel startup log. I tried once again the most recent kernel 5.9.3. In the logs I see that out of the sudden the USB is disconnected:
[   45.006954][    T5] usb 1-1.3: USB disconnect, device number 5
And then there are lot of messages complaining about I/O issues, like:
[   45.034708][  T334] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 1941760 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x80700 phys_seg 1 prio class 0

I tried multiple times. I also tried different flash disk and the result is the same. Reverting kernel to 5.6 fixes the issue and everything works fine. So it is not a hardware problem (like power supply or broken flash).
I also tried to set usbcore.autosuspend=-1 in kernel arguments, but it didn't help.

Attached the full log.

Any idea how to fix it or what can be wrong?

Cheers,

Marek
Attachments:
open | download - bootlog.txt (35.5 KB)
Re: Zyxel NSA320s doesn't work with bodhi kernels > 5.6
November 09, 2020 04:45PM
Marek,

Don't boot with systemd.

[ 0.000000][ T0] Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200 root=LABEL=rootfs rootdelay=10 nand_mtd:0x100000(uboot),0x80000(uboot_env),0x80000(key_store),0x80000(info),0xA00000(etc),0xA00000(kernel_1),0x2FC0000(rootfs1),0xA00000(kernel_2),0x2FC0000(rootfs2) init=/bin/systemd

Once you get it working OK running sysvinit, update/upgrade Debian to the latest. And then you can switch it back to systemd if you want to.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
November 10, 2020 02:33AM
Hi bodhi,

Thank you for the quick answer. Indeed, I was using systemd, because it is forced by openmediavault. I tried it with pure linux (without OMV) and removed systemd from kernel command line. I still see systemd-udevd in logs, so I'm not sure if I did it properly. But I see that /sbin/init is not symlinked to systemd anymore.

Unfortunately the final result is the same.

Please look at attached log.

Cheers,

Marek
Attachments:
open | download - booterr fresh installation init.txt (24.5 KB)
November 10, 2020 04:33PM
Marek,

I also tried different flash disk

Does that mean you recreate the USB rootfs from scracth and then after that upgrade the kernel to 5.9.3?

Have you done check disk after seeing the error during booting? I.e. take the USB drive to another lLinux box and run e2fsck.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
November 11, 2020 10:09AM
Yes, this is what I tried.

I unpacked rootfs on a fresh flash disk. I copied /boot to /boot-copy and then upgraded kernel in /boot. So with this approach I'm able to select original uImage and uInitrd before booting.
When I boot it using /boot-copy everything works fine, there are no errors. If I use kernel 5.9 stored in /boot then it fails.
There are no filesystem issues, I checked this in Raspberry PI.
I tried almost all kernels and the last that works is 5.6. Kernels 5.7, 5.8, 5.9 don't work. The logs I attached are from 5.9.

Cheers,

Marek
November 11, 2020 04:43PM
Marek,

If I use kernel 5.9 stored in /boot then it fails.

This does not sound right. The kernel on the fresh rootfs Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 should be 5.2.9.

Was that a typo, or did you try to install 5.9.3 kernel on this fresh rootfs before booting?

If that was not a typo, could you try to use a fresh rootfs with Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 wihtout any modification and boot with it.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.