Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Easiest/Quickest way to backup rootfs (now that I finally got it working!)

Posted by floodo1 
Easiest/Quickest way to backup rootfs (now that I finally got it working!)
January 07, 2013 03:59AM
So I finally have my 3TB sata drive booting and functioning well on my GFH. Thing of it is that I'd like to make some pretty big changes so I need to backup my existing root file system. i've got plenty of USB sticks that will hold the data, but not the partition. That is, I've got a 20gb root partition, that's sitting at 3.8gb used. I have plenty of 4gb and 8gb usb sticks that I can use, dedicated for the purpose of keeping a working copy of the file system (that I could restore via the rescue system that is in NAND)

Can anyone advise me on a simple / quick solution to back it all up to a USB stick that I can plug in to the usb port?
Re: Easiest/Quickest way to backup rootfs (now that I finally got it working!)
January 07, 2013 05:13AM
The easiest tool to use for this that I've tried is Acronis. If you have Windows VM (which I did) or Windows box, you can clone the entire HDD boot drive to a USB stick and shrinking it at a same time. Of course the HDD has to be taken out and plugged into a Goflex USB base or a HDD dock.
January 07, 2013 09:49AM
I can't use the USB3 base because it does some 4k sector conversion magic so the drive appears differently than when it's used over SATA directly.

I figured it would be pretty simple because copying the files should be sufficient. I mean I don't need to copy the partition fully or anything right? I mean I started from a tarball, so can't I just make my own tarball of the filesystem? I just suck at the commands necessary to make it :(
January 07, 2013 10:11AM
guess I should have looked around on my own. Wasn't too hard to find something that will do nicely:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Full_System_Backup_with_rsync
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.