Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any success TV streaming with a Pogoplug?

Posted by pmiller056 
Any success TV streaming with a Pogoplug?
November 28, 2020 03:57PM
I have a Pogoplug Pro (Oxnas CPU). I have Debian running on it. I have a spare USB TV receiver stick which I wish to use with the Pogoplug so if I wish I can stream broadcast TV down my home network. I can get the USB TV receiver stick to work correctly with a Raspberry Pi using the 'TVheadend' package. I am aware that the Pogoplug has more limited resources available than a RPi so I have no expectation of any ability to do any inline transcoding or similar. There is some old chatter on other forums about using Openwrt or Archlinx on similar hardware for this purpose.

Has anyone been able to use a Pogoplug for this purpose? If so, do you have any tips to pass on.

Thanks, Peter
Re: Any success TV streaming with a Pogoplug?
December 24, 2020 02:29PM
Answering my own question.

I ended up assembling an Armbian based embedded system to run TVheadend. Observing this system in operation strongly suggests that a Pogoplug V3/Pro is unlikely to have enough RAM for the task, particularly when working with several hundred channels from a satellite dish (Astra 2 at 28.2E).

Lesson learned.

Peter
December 24, 2020 03:32PM
Peter,

DId you see a lot of swapping going on? or the system just freeze?

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
December 26, 2020 06:24AM
Bodhi

When using the Pogoplug, it was very sluggish in operation. Transcoding and recording was disabled to try and speed things up. I did not spend much time trying to understand the causes because I had an alternative device (not a RPi) to hand with a faster CPU and a lot more RAM. The alternative system does not appear to significantly load the CPU, but it uses a lot of the available RAM. The RAM usage will most likely be due to the accumulated Programme Guide which will be very large because of the number of channels seen.

The Pogoplug will probably be viable when using far fewer channels, such as with a terrestrial broadcast receiver stick. Another way of inproving Pogoplug performance would be to use a SATA hard disk for the filesystem instead of whatever USB stick comes to hand out of the collection. Trying to share streaming video media and the main filesystem on the same USB bus (via the internal root hub) to the CPU, in hindsight, is not sensible.

Peter
December 26, 2020 03:50PM
> Another way of inproving
> Pogoplug performance would be to use a SATA hard
> disk for the filesystem instead of whatever USB
> stick comes to hand out of the collection.

For sure, SATA is a must, to do anything that requires more RAM such as streaming video, or running remote desktop. Swap space on SATA helps a lot in both of these scenarios.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.