Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PogoPlug E02 install to NAND

Posted by gjchester 
PogoPlug E02 install to NAND
December 28, 2020 01:07PM
Sorry to bring an old thread back but its a Xmas holiday project :)

I've got my Pogoplug E02 up and running from the USB stick, but I can't for the life of me get it to flash to the NAND on the Pogoplug.

I'm not a Linux Noob but I would not call myself advanced, so at least I dont fear the CLI..

I've been following the thread - Linux Kernel 5.9.12 Kirkwood package and Debian rootfs (Thank you Bodhi for this!)

My attempts so far have resulted in a Pogoplug that rapidly flashes the LED Green then the LED rapidly flashes RED on boot without the Debian USB stick in place so I 'm sure its the process to flah the NAND that 'm getting wrong. Its not getting as far as being up and running.
Can anyone point me to a suitable thread with simple instructions so I cn atry and check what fiels should be in the flash memory or not??

Is it even possibel to do it on the memory the E02 has?

I'm also not sure what the U-Boot is on it, how can I tell what son the box itself? I flashed oit years ago and it has Arch on it., but I never used Arch and I'm slightly more conforable in Debian, and as I said its an Xmas project, so I wanted to update it and get it back to some form of usefullness...

Thanks in advance..

Linux debian 5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1 #1 PREEMPT Sat Aug 17 15:00:56 PDT 2019 armv5tel

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Wed Dec 31 16:01:28 1969 from 192.168.xxx.yyy
root@debian:~# uname -a
Linux debian 5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1 #1 PREEMPT Sat Aug 17 15:00:56 PDT 2019 armv5tel GNU/Linux

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2020 01:09PM by gjchester.
Re: PogoPlug E02 install to NAND
December 28, 2020 02:36PM
NAND is not big enough for modern debian.

Try openwrt and use it as a backup / rescue system.

thread here: https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,86219
December 29, 2020 03:50AM
daviddyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NAND is not big enough for modern debian.
>
> Try openwrt and use it as a backup / rescue
> system.
>

Thanks, I was thinking airprint print server, but maybe its better binning it, and using Raspberry Pi's...
December 29, 2020 10:26AM
Rpi0w is the best choice for airprint server. I have one at home.
December 29, 2020 12:37PM
It should be possible to run Debian off a USB and host the airprint server off that. I was also working on installing a read only Debian install for the NAND but I haven't had time to continue work on that. So it is possible to install to NAND but it takes some work.

The easiest solution would be to install Debian to a USB drive and run an airprint server from that.
December 29, 2020 06:50PM
I tried that on dockstar. (USB flash drive for debian / cups / airprint + wireless usb card , for my HP 1022 printer)

VERY slow air print speed... so I changed to Rpi zero, then changed to rpi 0w when 0w was out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2020 06:51PM by daviddyer.
December 30, 2020 10:02AM
Thanks,

I think you have both sealed its fate :) Its not like PiZeroW's are that expensive....
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.