Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Pogoplug Mobile/Series 4] Install uBoot/Debian

Posted by bodhi 
Re: [Pogoplug Mobile/Series 4] Install uBoot/Debian
July 20, 2013 04:57AM
thank you bodhi,
i just bought a pogo mobile today, try to flash this uBoot and now i stuck on this:

/tmp # cat /etc/fw_env.config
cat: can't open '/etc/fw_env.config': No such file or directory

and

/tmp # nandwrite /dev/mtd0 uboot.nandpogoV4-MMC-mtdparts-noSATA.kwb
-sh: nandwrite: not found

when i type /usr/sbin before it, it seems to work. but output error.

/tmp # /usr/sbin/nandwrite /dev/mtd0 uboot.nandpogoV4-MMC-mtdparts-noSATA.kwb
MEMGETINFO: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I have a serial console and jtag repair box, so I think I can unbrick it if I need to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2013 04:58AM by 595474186.
July 20, 2013 04:16PM
The instruction on 1st post:

To install, you must have NAND tools and fw_env tools installed first. See here: 
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,11663,11713#msg-11713

If you running from Pogoplug OS, install fw_envs tools as described above, and then make sure the /etc/fw_env.config looks like below:

cat /etc/fw_env.config
# MTD device name	Device offset	Env. size	Flash sector size	Number of sectors
/dev/mtd0 0xc0000 0x20000 0x20000

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: [Pogoplug Mobile] Install uBoot/Debian
July 20, 2013 07:49PM
dhead666 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jeez Bodhi, how did I miss that ?
> I kept the wires soldered to the serial port, so
> it was only a matter of unscrewing the box and
> connecting to usb-ttl, like 30 seconds of labor.
> I did get the "xmodem: Bad message" and had to run
> kwboot over and over for 10 min' until it started
> uploading the uboot, but when it did it all that
> needed were 20 seconds and the pogoplug was back
> from the deads, up and running with my previous
> uboot params, splendid !
>
> Too bad that I'm going to install tvheadend on it
> and give it away to my old folks, I was wishing to
> program it via jtag.

dhead,

So did you connect jtag anyway? if you did, could you share the board location and pins, even better if you can describe how you install it.Thanks!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 08, 2013 11:54AM
Hi guys:

Ok, now that I got my serial cable, and I got it to work in Windows 7...here's what I am facing with my PPv4 (the one with the SATA port on top!)

I wiped out the first four blocks in MTD0. Now there's nothing there. So I guess what I need to do is "serial/UART" in, and feed it UBOOT,
with the NANDTOOLS, somehow...

What I'd like to be able to do is have ARCH or DEBIAN there on the MTD's (not the full os on the chips, because it's only 128M I get to play with...)
And have the rest of Debian be on the SD CARD, side (I have a 16G card I get to play with...so I want some that card be virtual memory!)

So...here's what I want to know...

From WIN7 what's the best serial comm program I can get that will do what I guess people want to do, here...
and can someone repeat the links I can head off to to see what I need to do?

I also want someone to tell me more about WEBMIN, because I like the idea of just putting in a
 HTTP://XXXXXX.local:PORT
address in to my web browser from 7 and admin stuff on my pogo...(not to mention have access to all my drives from there, and my wireless printer from the router!)

Ok...so I'm talking like a newbie who should know better, but...I'm also teaching my wife how to do things, (in case things go blotto, she can fix things if I'm away...)

Thank you for your patience, in advance, with me... we really appreciate it! :-)

KAPT BLASTO!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2013 11:57AM by Kapt Blasto.
September 08, 2013 06:31PM
Kapt Blasto Wrote:

>
> From WIN7 what's the best serial comm program I
> can get that will do what I guess people want to
> do, here...
> and can someone repeat the links I can head off to
> to see what I need to do?

Putty is among the best tools for Win7 (IMO the best):
http://www.putty.org

>
> I also want someone to tell me more about WEBMIN,
> because I like the idea of just putting in a
>
 HTTP://XXXXXX.local:PORT
> address in to my web browser from 7 and admin
> stuff on my pogo...(not to mention have access to
> all my drives from there, and my wireless printer
> from the router!)

If all you want to do is controlling the box using a web brower, then Webmin is very good. It does use up some memory even while you're not connectting to the Pogo (but not much). Of course if you really want to do things similar to a normal desktop GUI, then a remote desktop is better.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 22, 2013 12:36PM
Bohdi:

thanks for your reply, but now it seems I have another problem that I need a photo of the serial Buds to determine...(I think I can get the photo from Arch Linux ARM's forum, however...)

It seems that I might have inadvertently connected the 3.3V Bud to either the TXD Bud, or the RXD bud, by somehow SCRATCHING the protective green cover away by mistake, in a very bad spot, and it might be shorting the whole thing out....allow me to explain, here...

Now, as I have stated before, I have TWO pogo's... A pogo mobile....and the Pogo with the Sata and USB on top, which has the SCRATCH, I'm talking about....

Now, when I mounted my modified "mini-molex" receptacle onto the POGO MOBILE BOARD, and soldered the leads to the buds, and then, tested connections with a (I don't know what to call it..I guess, a connection tester?)

One lead on the bottom of the board, at the respective bud, the other touching the pin I soldered to the top half of that bud, at the top of the board...Each was connected right...and the 3.3V bud was left alone, as instructions here say to do....

Now....With the POGO Mobile Board....when I touch one of my "connection tester" leads to what the RXD pin, and the other lead to the TXD pin...the Lights on the Ethernet port lit up! Orange and Green, they were! And I figured that was right!

BUT...with the Pogo V4...after soldering, and checking pins to buds for correct connection...checking RXD and TXD pins didn't make the Ethernet light up...but Checking GND and 3.3V....the Ethernet DID light up! Same with 3.3V and TXD...Same with GND and RXD...but fainty....

Now, When I hooked up my Pogo Mobile to the Serial Cable, and fired up TERA TERM, on my W7x64, plugged in the PWR to the Jack on the Pogo

I was able to get The U-Boot DMESG through the screen....even though the Keyboard was having difficulty printing out what I typed in....(Don't know exactly what setting I need to use for that!)

But, with the POGO V4....nothing...nada....zip...zilch! Tried different pin arrangements....still nothing...

So I figured I either fried my board....or I just have a short somewhere keeping things from flowing...

Or I just fried my board...One of the two...

So...what's the deal with the Pogo V4?
January 01, 2014 11:54PM
To those who are looking for the orginal mtds for Pogoplug V4. You can download it here:

Pogo V4 original mtd backup
md5: 064a298c89ae5a1b207061e11b401930

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 06, 2014 12:08AM
Hello!

I just managed to snag a Pogoplug Mobile on Amazon for $17, and I wanted to try to see if I could get debian running on this thing. I'm fairly convinced that I managed to brick this thing in about 30 minutes out of the box.

I tried to follow the instructions on this page, and ran into issues getting the environment variables, and setting them. Everything else appears to have worked. The device was power cycled, and there is now no light activity on the front, at all.

Without anything connected, the device powers on but nothing happens. No activity lights, just the Ethernet activity lights.

I've managed to get an Arch Linux ARM image to boot enough for the box to grab an IP, but I am unable to SSH into the box. It appears that there isn't an ssh server running, as my ssh client reports the connection is refused.

I'm kind of lost at the moment. I'm having a great deal of difficulty figuring out these instructions, as it seems that they involve searching through several pages of forum threads. I'm also unable to find a single debian image that I can put on a flash drive/SD card, and try to boot from. Just packages and patches that assume I already have a working system.

I'm also having difficulties finding any kind of information about what equipment I will need in order to try to save this box through serial. No information on equipment, no information on processes, programs required, firmwares, how to transfer it.

If anyone could help me out here, it would be greatly appreciated. If I can't figure this out, I'm just going to need to count this as a loss, and invest in a Raspberry Pi.
February 06, 2014 01:19AM
Download the latest rootfs in this post. And follow the instruction to put it on a USB thumb drive, boot with that.
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 06, 2014 08:17AM
Bodhi,

Thanks for the info. I looked again, and did a search on that post for rootfs. I believe I was getting confused because the latest updates only contain two debian packages, a patch, and a config file. The update with the rootfs wasn't clearly marked, and required reading through several similar updates. I'll give this a try shortly.

For anyone else dealing with this problem, you're looking for the update at 14 Dec 2013. That's the latest update with a full rootfs. The more recent updates look like they're updates that can be applied after.
February 06, 2014 10:17AM
Bodhi,

That worked! Had to untar the tarball as root to avoid some errors, but it's booting, and I can ssh into the box.

Thanks again for the help! :D
February 06, 2014 01:58PM
GothPanda Wrote:
> Bodhi,
>
> That worked! Had to untar the tarball as root to
> avoid some errors, but it's booting, and I can ssh
> into the box.
>
> Thanks again for the help! :D

Cool! I'll update the instruction to make it a little more clear.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 06, 2014 02:51PM
May have spoken too soon. For some reason I decided to go ahead and finish through the steps, even though it did managed to boot. Now, I'm having problems getting it to boot at all. :P

Tried that debian image on SD and Flash Drives, and it's just not doing anything that I can tell. Also tried EXT2 and EXT3 formats, but nothing. Thanks anyways for the help. Now, at least I know if I get another one to replace it, I know what to do to get USB working.
February 06, 2014 03:13PM
:) I guess you probably had some typos when setting uBoot envs. If you have saved the log of what you did in ssh session, then post it here and I'll see if I can spot something wrong.

If all fails, then the only way to unbrick is to install serial console, the recommended hw parts are in this thread:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?8,13263

And there are many tutorials about connecting serial console should you decide to try it.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 09, 2014 11:41PM
Some soldering and burns later, I've managed to get a dump from the console. Looks like it's looking for a /dev/sda1 as the root filesystem, set by the environment variable 'usb_root', but that isn't correct when booting from MMC. It appears to not be able to find it, and it gives up.

Either it's there, and the delay is wrong, or it's not and I need to update that variable.

Any idea how I can set that at the UART console, and then continue the boot process normally? I can change it permanently once I get into a working console.
February 10, 2014 12:29AM
I did mention about putting the rootfs on a USB thumb drive in the post above!

For USB the boot device is sda1. For SD card, it should be mmcblk0p1. See this post.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 21, 2014 06:09AM
Hey bodhi, I followed this and installed the debian 3.13.1 rootfs on a Pogoplug Mobile. However, the Mobile unable to get DHPC address from the router. Do you know how to set up the network interface?

Thank you.
March 21, 2014 02:38PM
toomyzoom,

The rootfs should have no problem getting DHCP address automatically. Do you have a boot log or dmesg log that we can look at?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 22, 2014 12:07AM
bodhi Wrote:
> toomyzoom,
>
> The rootfs should have no problem getting DHCP
> address automatically. Do you have a boot log or
> dmesg log that we can look at?

Well, problem on my part. After having the serial soldered, I discovered that the thing didn't load rootfs. So I changed the env as dhead666 did. Still same shit. I found out the problem was my set up. I had 2 partitions on my sd card, first one labeled as boot in ext2, and the other labeled as rootfs in ext4. The pogo took the boot partition as rootfs (hell yeah!), so I got no shit and had to use serial. So I had to force it to boot to the second partition.

setenv mmc_root /dev/mmcblk0p2

And bodhi, there is one problem with the rootfs that I always encountered no matter what device (pogo V2, V4, or Dockstar). They can never boot the kernel from ext3 or ext4 formatted rootfs (ext3 can be booted if mounted as ext2). I always have to put the kernel on different ext2 partition then make as symlink to it. Is this a limitation of uboot?

By the way, thank you. Your rootfs worked great for me for a long time.
March 22, 2014 01:32AM
toomyzoom,

Booting ext3 or ext4 formatted rootfs is fine, but you need to set that type with u-Boot env. For exampe (usb_rootfstype is the env name):

usb_rootfstype=ext3
usb_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console root=$usb_root rootdelay=$usb_rootdelay rootfstype=$usb_rootfstype $mtdparts $usb_custom_params

And when you boot ext3 rootfs and got ext2, that was because your rootfstype in bootargs was set to ext2.

Btw, with this rootfs, the u-boot rootfstype env is not even needed. The argument for rootfstype in the bootargs can be obmitted all together if you want to.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 22, 2014 02:03AM
I forgot, if you're running davygravy's u-Boot image, then Ext4 might not work. Check at U-Boot serial console to see if the command ext4ls is availble (run help).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 15, 2014 11:57AM
Thanks to bodhi for the instructions and for helping me get set up with my Pogo V4. I was able to successfully boot up from an SD card. I ran into a lot of issues along the way and had to scour the forums for each fix. I wanted to share my learnings and hopefully help the next person trying to do this.

This is specifically for the Pogo V4-A1-01.

(1) First, I could not use the original instructions (first post of this thread) to install on a fresh, unhacked Pogo V4. It does not work because fw_printenv and fw_setenv require the fw_env.config file to reside in the /etc directory. Since the original Pogo image is read-only except for the /tmp directory, you will have to boot up with a USB drive and work from there.

The easiest way to do this is to follow the instructions on the archlinuxarm.org site: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/pogoplug-series-4

Boot up with the new Linux image from the USB drive, and SSH into the box.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not use Kingston USB drives. There's some issue with Kingston drives and the Pogo V4 in particular. Other people have had similar issues:
http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=6849&start=10

(2) Download wget:
pacman -Sy wget

(3) Follow bodhi's original instructions (first post of this thread) to download all the executables, move files to the right place.
cd /usr/bin/
wget http://download.doozan.com/uboot/nanddump
wget http://download.doozan.com/uboot/nandwrite
wget http://download.doozan.com/uboot/flash_erase
wget http://download.doozan.com/uboot/fw_printenv
wget http://download.doozan.com/uboot/fw_env.config
wget http://download.doozan.com/uboot/files/environment/uboot.environment

chmod +x flash_erase fw_printenv nanddump nandwrite

mv uboot.environment ~/

mv fw_env.config /etc/fw_env.config

FW_PRINTENV=/usr/bin/fw_printenv
FW_SETENV=/usr/bin/fw_setenv
if [ ! -f "$FW_SETENV" ]; then
  ln -s "$FW_PRINTENV" "$FW_SETENV" 2> /dev/null
  if [ "$?" -ne "0" ]; then
    mount -o remount,rw /
    ln -s "$FW_PRINTENV" "$FW_SETENV"
    mount -o remount,ro /
  fi
fi

(4) In order to create a Linux image on the SD card, I needed to use fdisk and format it correctly. I couldn't find the SD device under /dev. So the easiest way was to use a separate Linux box.
sudo fdisk /dev/sdb (or wherever the SD card is for your Linux box)

I created two partitions:
partition 1 with type=82, bootable
partition 2 with type=83 (swap)

Format as ext3 and label as rootfs
sudo mke2js -j /dev/sdb1
e2label /dev/sdb1 rootfs

Now mount the card, copy an image onto it. I used bodhi's image at http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096
mkdir -p /mnt/sdcard
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdcard
wget (the Debian.tar.gz image URL)
tar -xvf Debian.tar.gz
rm Debian.tar.gz
sync
umount /mnt/sdcard

Before umounting, if you have an ext2 system instead of ext3, then change the /dev/root entry to ext2 in /mnt/sdcard/etc/fstab. You can find out by running "df -T"

(5) Go back to the Pogo. Now you can follow bodhi's instructions beginning at "which flash_erase" up to right before rebooting the box. Note that we've downloaded all the images to /usr/bin instead of /usr/sbin

(6) I had to change a few of the uboot env variables to get it to work:
fw_setenv mmc_set_bootargs 'setenv bootargs console=$console root=$mmc_root rootfstype=$mmc_rootfstype $mtdparts'
fw_setenv mmc_boot 'mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load mmc 0:1 0x00800000 /boot/uImage; if ext2load mmc 0:1 0x01100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi'
fw_setenv mmc_root '/dev/mmcblk0p1'
fw_setenv mmc_bootcmd 'mmc init; mmc init; run mmc_set_bootargs; run mmc_boot'
fw_setenv bootcmd 'usb start; run force_rescue_bootcmd; run ubifs_bootcmd; run usb_bootcmd; usb stop; run mmc_bootcmd'
fw_setenv mmc_rootfstype 'ext3'

* Note that in order for ArchLinux ARM to bootup, I had to copy /boot/uImage to the root directory /uImage on the rootfs, and change this env:
setenv mmc_boot 'mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load mmc 0:1 0x00800000 /uImage; if ext2load mmc 0:1 0x01100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi'
(7) I had an issue where at some point along the way, my ethaddr was changed to some random address in the uboot env. I had to change it back.
fw_setenv ethaddr 'xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx' (whatever your Mac address is)

(8) Set up your router to give your Pogo a static IP address. You may find it under something called "DHCP Reservations" (or something similar) settings on your router.

(9) Put the SD card into the Pogo, and reboot.
/sbin/reboot

It seems I have lost the blinking green light when the Pogo is starting up, but after about 30 seconds, it does turn a solid green. You should now be able to login as root/root

(10) For completeness, here's how I created my swap:
mkswap /dev/mmcblk0p2
swapon /dev/mmcblk0p2

Then edit /etc/fstab and add:
/dev/mmcblk0p2 none swap defaults 0 0

You can check using "swapon -s" or "free -m"

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 06:30PM by velo.
May 31, 2014 10:04AM
Hi. I just followed Bodhi's instructions, but some problems occurred with his Debian rootfs.
Uboot installed fine in my new Pogoplug Mobile(V4-A1-01), but the kernel cannot boot and then freeze. I tried to boot ext2 rootfs. The rootfs boots well in my Pogoplug E02 machine, of course. Later I tried the Archlinux rootfs image, but its kernel cannot boot, too.

Neconsole bootlog:
U-Boot 2011.12 (Apr 08 2012 - 19:03:41)
Cloud Engines-Pogoplug v4/Mobile:MMC version
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q3-67) 4.4.1
GNU ld (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q3-67) 2.19.51.20090709
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
(Re)start USB...
USB:   Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
       scanning bus for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
** Block device usb 0 not supported

** Invalid boot device **
incorrect device type in data
Partition data not found!
** Block device usb 1 not supported
** Block device usb 2 not supported
** Block device usb 3 not supported
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
stopping USB..
SDHC found. Card desciption is:
Manufacturer:       0x27, OEM "PH"
Product name:       "SD04G", revision 3.0
Serial number:      2083185295
Manufacturing date: 5/2012
CRC:                0x00, b0 = 0
mmc1 is available
Manufacturer:       0x27, OEM "PH"
Product name:       "SD04G", revision 3.0
Serial number:      2083185295
Manufacturing date: 5/2012
mmc1 is available
Loading file "/boot/uImage" from mmc device 0:1 (xxa1)
2461416 bytes read
Loading file "/boot/uInitrd" from mmc device 0:1 (xxa1)
6362802 bytes read
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.14.0-kirkwood-tld-1
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    2461352 Bytes = 2.3 MiB
   Load Address: 00008000
   Entry Point:  00008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
## Loading init Ramdisk from Legacy Image at 01100000 ...
   Image Name:   initramfs-3.14.0-kirkwood-tld-1
   Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    6362738 Bytes = 6.1 MiB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Loading Kernel Image ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

U-boot env:

Pogov4> printenv
printenv
arcNumber=2097
baudrate=115200
bootcmd=usb start; run force_rescue_bootcmd; run ubifs_bootcmd; run usb_bootcmd; usb stop; run mmc_bootcmd
bootdelay=10
console=ttyS0,115200
ethact=egiga0
ethaddr=02:50:43:25:18:60
force_rescue=0
force_rescue_bootcmd=if test $force_rescue -eq 1 || ext2load usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme 1 || fatload usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme.txt 1; then run rescue_bootcmd; fi
if_netconsole=ping $serverip
ipaddr=192.168.1.101
led_error=orange blinking
led_exit=green off
led_init=green blinking
mainlineLinux=yes
mmc_bootcmd=mmc init; mmc init;ext2load mmc 0:1 0x00800000 /boot/uImage; if ext2load mmc 0:1 0x01100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi
mtddevname=uImage2
mtddevnum=2
mtdids=nand0=orion_nand
mtdparts=mtdparts=orion_nand:2M(u-boot),3M(uImage),3M(uImage2),8M(failsafe),112M(root)
ncip=192.168.1.2
partition=nand0,2
pogo_bootcmd=if fsload uboot-original-mtd0.kwb; then go 0x800200; fi
preboot=run if_netconsole start_netconsole
rescue_bootcmd=if test $rescue_installed -eq 1; then run rescue_set_bootargs; nand read.e 0x800000 0x100000 0x400000; bootm 0x800000; else run pogo_bootcmd; fi
rescue_installed=0
rescue_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=2 root=ubi0:rootfs ro rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $rescue_custom_params
serverip=192.168.1.2
start_netconsole=setenv ncip $serverip; setenv bootdelay 10; setenv stdin nc; setenv stdout nc; setenv stderr nc; version;
stderr=nc
stdin=nc
stdout=nc
ubifs_bootcmd=run ubifs_set_bootargs; if ubi part data && ubifsmount rootfs && ubifsload 0x800000 /boot/uImage && ubifsload 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; fi
ubifs_mtd=3
ubifs_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=$ubifs_mtd root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $ubifs_custom_params
usb_boot=mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x800000 /boot/uImage; if ext2load usb $usb_device 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi
usb_bootcmd=run usb_init; run usb_set_bootargs; run usb_boot
usb_device=0:1
usb_init=run usb_scan
usb_root=/dev/sda1
usb_rootdelay=10
usb_rootfstype=ext2
usb_scan=usb_scan_done=0;for scan in $usb_scan_list; do run usb_scan_$scan; if test $usb_scan_done -eq 0 && ext2load usb $usb 0x800000 /boot/uImage 1; then usb_scan_done=1; echo "Found bootable drive on usb $usb"; setenv usb_device $usb; setenv usb_root /dev/$dev; fi; done
usb_scan_1=usb=0:1 dev=sda1
usb_scan_2=usb=1:1 dev=sdb1
usb_scan_3=usb=2:1 dev=sdc1
usb_scan_4=usb=3:1 dev=sdd1
usb_scan_list=1 2 3 4
usb_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console root=$usb_root rootdelay=$usb_rootdelay rootfstype=$usb_rootfstype $mtdparts $usb_custom_params

Environment size: 2796/131068 bytes
Pogov4>

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2014 11:38AM by Berryshake.
May 31, 2014 01:06PM
Berryshake,

Notice how this U-boot version detected your SD card:
and your usb_root is
usb_root=/dev/sda1

To ensure that the rootfs is found by initrd regardless of the drive letter of the card, use the rootfs label approach:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,8044,8152#msg-8152

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
May 31, 2014 01:41PM
I really appreciate your advice. I added some codes like below.

usb_init=run usb_scan; setenv usb_root LABEL=rootfs
An elegant solution to this problem!
June 05, 2014 12:11PM
Hi!

I just got my Pogoplug V4 Mobile. And flashing the uboot worked properly. But I can't get it booting the Debian rootfs.
I formated it to Ext3 and set the correct env var (usb_rootfstype=ext3).
But it doesn't boot. Here is the netconsole ouput:

U-Boot 2011.12 (Apr 08 2012 - 19:03:41)
Cloud Engines-Pogoplug v4/Mobile:MMC version
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q3-67) 4.4.1
GNU ld (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q3-67) 2.19.51.20090709
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
(Re)start USB...
USB:   Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found
       scanning bus for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) fo
Loading file "/rescueme" from usb device 0:1 (usbda1)
Failed to mount ext2 filesystem...
** Bad ext2 partition or disk - usb 0:1 **
reading /rescueme.txt

** Unable to read "/rescueme.txt" from usb 0:1 **
incorrect device type in data
Partition data not found!
Loading file "/boot/uImage" from usb device 0:1 (usbda1)
** Block device usb 1 not supported
** Block device usb 2 not supported
** Block device usb 3 not supported
Loading file "/boot/uImage" from usb device 0:1 (usbda1)
Loading file "/boot/uInitrd" from usb device 0:1 (usbda1)
stopping USB..
No MMC card found
Manufacturer:       0x03, OEM "SD"
Product name:       "SU16G", revision 8.0
Serial number:      454569302
Manufacturing date: 7/2012
mmc1 is available
** File not found /boot/uImage
Loading file "/boot/uInitrd" from mmc device 0:1 (xxa1)
** File not found /boot/uInitrd
Pogov4>

On the other hand booting rescue system (from usb) works.
So I got my fw_printenv:

rescue:~# fw_printenv
ethact=egiga0
bootdelay=3
baudrate=115200
mainlineLinux=yes
console=ttyS0,115200
led_init=green blinking
led_exit=green off
led_error=orange blinking
mtdids=nand0=orion_nand
partition=nand0,2
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
rescue_installed=0
rescue_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=2 root=ubi0:rootfs ro rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $rescue_custom_params
rescue_bootcmd=if test $rescue_installed -eq 1; then run rescue_set_bootargs; nand read.e 0x800000 0x100000 0x400000; bootm 0x800000; else run pogo_bootcmd; fi
pogo_bootcmd=if fsload uboot-original-mtd0.kwb; then go 0x800200; fi
force_rescue=0
force_rescue_bootcmd=if test $force_rescue -eq 1 || ext2load usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme 1 || fatload usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme.txt 1; then run rescue_bootcmd; fi
ubifs_mtd=3
ubifs_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=$ubifs_mtd root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $ubifs_custom_params
ubifs_bootcmd=run ubifs_set_bootargs; if ubi part data && ubifsmount rootfs && ubifsload 0x800000 /boot/uImage && ubifsload 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; fi
usb_scan=usb_scan_done=0;for scan in $usb_scan_list; do run usb_scan_$scan; if test $usb_scan_done -eq 0 && ext2load usb $usb 0x800000 /boot/uImage 1; then usb_scan_done=1; echo "Found bootable drive on usb $usb"; setenv usb_device $usb; setenv usb_root /dev/$dev; fi; done
usb_scan_list=1 2 3 4
usb_scan_1=usb=0:1 dev=sda1
usb_scan_2=usb=1:1 dev=sdb1
usb_scan_3=usb=2:1 dev=sdc1
usb_scan_4=usb=3:1 dev=sdd1
usb_init=run usb_scan
usb_device=0:1
usb_root=/dev/sda1
usb_rootdelay=10
usb_bootcmd=run usb_init; run usb_set_bootargs; run usb_boot
usb_boot=mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x800000 /boot/uImage; if ext2load usb $usb_device 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi
mtdparts=mtdparts=orion_nand:2M(u-boot),3M(uImage),3M(uImage2),8M(failsafe),112M(root)
serverip=192.168.145.10
ipaddr=192.168.145.200
if_netconsole=ping $serverip
start_netconsole=setenv ncip $serverip; setenv bootdelay 10; setenv stdin nc; setenv stdout nc; setenv stderr nc; version;
preboot=run if_netconsole start_netconsole
arcNumber=3960
machid=F78
bootcmd=usb start; run force_rescue_bootcmd; run ubifs_bootcmd; run usb_bootcmd; usb stop; run mmc_bootcmd
mmc_bootcmd=mmc init; mmc init;ext2load mmc 0:1 0x00800000 /boot/uImage; if ext2load mmc 0:1 0x01100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi
ethaddr=00:25:31:03:xx:xx
usb_rootfstype=ext3

Is there something wrong with my settings?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2014 12:11PM by theliquid.
June 05, 2014 12:44PM
I have an issue with bodhi's rootfs installed on Pogo Mobile hope bodhi or somebody else can help. Everything works fine except if I unplug the ethernet cable then replug it in, the ethernet cannot reconnect. I need to reboot the box to get it back. My interfaces file is:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
# iface eth0 inet dhcp
auto ech0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.x.xx
gateway 192.168.x.1
network 192.168.x.0
netmask 255.255.255.0

I don't see anything wrong with it. Any input and/or suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks.
June 05, 2014 12:55PM
Theliquid,

Do you have the Pogo V4 or the Pogo Mobile? V4 has the SATA slot, Mobile does not. If it is the V4 then you must use the USB slot on top for booting (the rear ones are USB 3.0).

Either way, looks like the USB stick is not good for booting. It might have errors, so you might need to mount it on another Linux box and do fsck.
Loading file "/rescueme" from usb device 0:1 (usbda1)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
June 05, 2014 12:58PM
twinclouds,

Probably be this typo?
> auto ech0

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
June 05, 2014 01:17PM
Theliquid,

I see that it found your SD card but there is no /boot/uImage or /boot/uInitrd on it. Are you trying to boot from the SD card or from USB?

I also see this:
usb_root=/dev/sda1

It's best to follow bodhi's advice to label your partition as rootfs and boot off that. See Berryshake's post above.

If all else fails, try formatting as ext2 and using ext2 in your envs, and see if that works, before formatting everything as ext3.

velo
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.