Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

cannot ssh after systemd installation

Posted by jrey 
cannot ssh after systemd installation
February 24, 2021 07:42PM
I am currently using

Kernel linux-5.10.7-kirkwood-tld-1
Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 (25 Aug 2019)

Every time I try to install systemd using

sudo apt-get install systemd,

after reboot, I would get connection refused when trying to ssh to it.

I had to reformat the stick and put the rootfs and kernel back but kept running into the same problem every time. Is there any suggestion where the cause of the problem might be?

Thanks.
Re: cannot ssh after systemd installation
February 25, 2021 12:12AM
jrey,

The only advice I have is don't try to install systemd. Debian comes with systemd by default. You just specify the init parameter in bootargs, as recommended in the rootfs installation.

Note2:

To boot with systemd, add parameter init=/bin/systemd to your u-boot env bootargs (beware that in later Debian distribution, the location of systemd binary might have changed).

- For example,
fw_setenv set_bootargs 'setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=LABEL=rootfs rootdelay=10 $mtdparts init=/bin/systemd'

The location /bin/systemd might have changed in later Debian version, though. You could find out if the path is still correct (i.e. if they created a symlink to make it backward compatible).

If you want to use systemd permanently, you could use dpkg to remove sysvinit and its associated packages from the rootfs. I had to install those packages explicitly so the rootfs is defaulted back to sysvinit.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
February 25, 2021 07:14AM
The only function I found was /bin/systemd-hwdb. I couldn't find any thing else starting with systemd.
February 26, 2021 03:28AM
bodhi,

I was able to ssh after commenting all the wifi dongle related in /etc/network/interfaces and connected using just the ethernet wire. Not sure what the problem was.
February 26, 2021 04:30AM
jrey,

> I was able to ssh after commenting all the wifi
> dongle related in /etc/network/interfaces and
> connected using just the ethernet wire. Not sure
> what the problem was.

If it has a USB Wifi dongle, then Wifi was activated (because you already have wireless setup in /etc/network/interfaces). So now you have 2 network devices. That will result some odd behavior. That wifi device probably took precedent and probably there is no route to the Ethernet device. If you had scanned the network, you probably would have seen the Wifi connection.

Usually, if the system has both Ethernet and Wifi active, you would have to do a little bit more setup in IP routing table to get both activated propperly.

My basic rootfs does not have any complicated setup (unlike a full Debian distro like with Ubuntu or Linux Mint). You would have to do the custimization on your own.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.