Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

trying to reanimate bricked Dockstar

Posted by michapixel 
trying to reanimate bricked Dockstar
March 24, 2013 05:23AM
My situation is as followed:

i am by no means an expert on this field, so bear with me, if i sound a little confusing here and there :-)

I have 2 Dockstars here. One (a) did run Debian for quite some time (~2years), until i bricked it by updating it and not restarting it correctly (i guess), so the Dockstar did not boot completely (cannot verify this, cause on this one i changed the led-functions a bit). The other one (b) was laying around for some time, i experimented a little bit with it, but had no luck with some USB-Sticks i had laying around, so i decided to have it as a backup.
It seems it's time has come.

At first i tried to connect my jtag with Dockstar a) and i succeeded to get all the messages. It did boot into uboot, but there were checksum errors. I followed some links on how to solve that problem, but that seemed to be way over my head :-) so i gave up to follow this route.
then i tried to let it boot into debian from it's stick, but it never reached networking status. i tried to nmap it but no luck.
i then connected it again via serial/jtag and made my self a little comfortable with the pre-boot or uboot environment.
i finally found the ipaddress it gave itself with the help of this incredible forum and some other links / sites i found. but other than that i did not find out.

so i thought to myself: why not give dockstar b) a chance, at least that's what i decided once it was meant for.

but since it seems to have the same illness like a) - not showing up on my routers network, i connected it directly to my desktop - via jtag and network - and tried to find out what it did on it's booting-process.
So far i can say: it boots fine into pogoplug system, but fails to unknow reason to get an ip-address on my home network. i can ssh into it on it's 169.* address. so i though: i should bridge the network from my desktop to the dockstar, so i can at least install debian (or try to) on another stick.
but even that fails:

# Starting debootstrap installation
E: unrecognized or invalid option --no-check-gpg
debootstrap failed.
See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for more information.

but there is no debootstrap.log. inside /tmp/debian there's only a "lost+found" folder.

if anyone has an idea, what i could do now, i'd be very happy if you could lead me on this way.
if you need more information, please ask, as i am definately not an expert,
Re: trying to reanimate bricked Dockstar
March 24, 2013 11:16AM
Re: trying to reanimate bricked Dockstar
March 27, 2013 06:22PM
@michapixel:
Do have a backup copy of the previous working USB for device a? If you do, just plug it in. Does it still work? I don't see how upgrade and restarting, even incorrectly, will brick your device. If you don't have one, you probably should in the first place.
I think using JTAG is over kill. If you have access to the serial port, I think using UART booting is probably an easier approach. Although I have never tried that because there was no needs. Maybe I should try it one day. Good luck.

Edit: Sorry, UART booting won't work on Dockstar. Do you still have uboot working?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2013 06:25PM by twinclouds.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.