Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linux Kernel 6.8.7 Kirkwood package and Debian rootfs

Posted by bodhi 
Re: Linux Kernel 4.2 Kirkwood (FDT) and 3.16 Kirkwood (non-FDT) package and rootfs
November 03, 2015 02:12PM
Thank you very much for the info guys. I'll try kernel 4.2 next, then. :-)
Re: Linux Kernel 4.2 Kirkwood (FDT) and 3.16 Kirkwood (non-FDT) package and rootfs
November 08, 2015 08:23PM
bodhi,

I need your help again. I have tested buildroot for pogoplug to make a music box.
I almost completed the box meeting my purpose. but, I want the image file to be installed to mtd.
So, what I need? I have uImage and uInitrd which is rootfs.
Buildroot can make cramfs root, ext 2/3/4 root, jffs2 root, romfs filesystem, etc.
How I can the uImage and uInitrd embed to mtd.

Thanks,
Jay
November 08, 2015 10:40PM
newhope,

If you want to install to mtds, you need the whole rootfs which contains uImage and uInitrd, not just these 2 files. You can follow Jeff's rescue system example:

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,3896

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
November 09, 2015 12:03AM
To all,

Since kernel 4.3 has some problem with cryptodev, and no new feature is really relevant to ARM, I will wait until there are significant bug fixes in minor releases to see if we need to update to 4.3.x. If nothing really exciting coming along, kernel 4.4. will be the next build.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
November 10, 2015 03:26AM
this makes sense.
kernel 4.4 will be the next LTS one

The only thing which is fixes in 4.3 kernels is the ext4 problem which occures on my NAS devices with kernels newer than 4.2.1.
And perhaps this also fixes some issues with WD Green HDDs on some firmware versions (00J).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2015 03:29AM by pengu.
bonk1990 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
> there is a possibility to create .img file of my
> rootfs? (or other option to backup my usb stick)

Hi bonk,

I cover how to do this (creating .img files from a rootfs) in the instructions on this github readme page: https://github.com/pepaslabs/pogoplug-v4-bodhi-rootfs-debian

The short answer is:
* Partition / format an SD card
* Unpack the rootfs onto the SD card
* Calculate the right 'count' value to use with dd
* Use dd to make the .img
November 12, 2015 07:44PM
Looks like kernel 4.4 will be the next realease then:

- LTS release
- Major patches in Marvell cesa.
- Major patches in Ext4 encryption.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
November 13, 2015 03:16PM
bodhi Wrote:
> Since kernel 4.3 has some problem with cryptodev,

are you referring to https://github.com/cryptodev-linux/cryptodev-linux/issues/10 ?
November 15, 2015 01:19AM
Muchatet Wrote:
> bodhi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Since kernel 4.3 has some problem with
> cryptodev,
>
> are you referring to
> https://github.com/cryptodev-linux/cryptodev-linux
> /issues/10 ?

Yes I was! I'm also aware there is a patch, but since major patches coming in 4.4, I'll wait.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
November 15, 2015 11:31AM
deleted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2015 11:38AM by bruce_shen.
November 16, 2015 09:03AM
kernel 4.4-rc1 is out .. let's see ;-)

Edit

seems that the error message poset above is still present.

Edit 2

forgot that this was the old driver .. with ne new one, this message is gone.

Another Thing:
compiling cryptodev against kernel 4.4 failes because of another missing(?) macro

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 08:11AM by pengu.
November 29, 2015 03:02PM
It looks like marvell_cesa is still broken in linux-4.4-rc2 (with Herbert Xu's patches already merged).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2015 03:04PM by bodhi.
December 03, 2015 11:24PM
I've moved the booting problems to different threads here:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,24761
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,24757

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2015 11:24PM by bodhi.
Good job with porting Linux to this devices.
Is there any plan to release patches for latest LTS (4.4)?
January 22, 2016 02:51AM
Foreced Wrote:
> Good job with porting Linux to this devices.
> Is there any plan to release patches for latest
> LTS (4.4)?

In a week or so.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4 Kirkwood (FDT) and 3.16 Kirkwood (non-FDT) package and rootfs
January 31, 2016 09:16AM
Kernel linux-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1 package has been uploaded. Please see 1st post for download link.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2016 09:28AM by bodhi.
jfp
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4 Kirkwood (FDT) and 3.16 Kirkwood (non-FDT) package and rootfs
February 01, 2016 07:49AM
Hello bodhi,

1rst off all thanks a lot for your efforts and contributions.

A few days before I started playing around with firejail. When got it compiled and installed (on zyxel 325v2) I recognized that seccomp is not activated.

Assuming it could be only one option I decided to cross-compile a kernel (4.2.0-kirkwood-tld-1) with the use of your config and patch utilizing crosstool-ng running on debian.
This failed already on menuconfig because kernel config you added to your package was not visible in menu.
E.g. there were no ARM related settings but the x86 related. (I guess this is caused by menuconfig which considers the environment it is running on - i.e.debian - somehow).

So I tried to configure it native (on a NSA325v2). All ARM related stuff where visible but I couldn't find the seccomp related switch.
Can you advise me how I can get this kernel slightly reconfigured and preferably crosscompiled ?

Thanks,
Joe
February 01, 2016 08:31AM
Joe,

> So I tried to configure it native (on a NSA325v2).
> All ARM related stuff where visible but I couldn't
> find the seccomp related switch.

Do you see this when you grep your current config file?
grep -i secc /boot/config-4.4.0-kirkwood-tld-1 
# CONFIG_SECCOMP is not set

CONFIG_SECCOMP is the last item in "Kernel Features" section. It should be there when you make menuconfig.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 02, 2016 09:53PM
I've moved the last post to its own thread here:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,25659

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 09:59PM by bodhi.
jfp
February 04, 2016 12:53PM
bodhi,

>CONFIG_SECCOMP is the last item in "Kernel Features" section. It should be there when you make menuconfig.

Thx a lot, that helped.

While I'm now was able to get compilation native as well as using ct-ng I am still struggling with the package generation.

Can you provide some hints regarding packaging a (cross- and/or native-)compiled kernel and it's headers ?
Or do I have it to do on the target architecture?

Best Regards,
Joe
February 04, 2016 01:36PM
Joe,

You can either cross-compile or compile it natively. But it is a lot easier to compile it natively on the NSA325.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 10, 2016 11:46AM
sebr,

I've splitted your topic into its own thread:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,25783,25797#msg-25797

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 11:50AM by bodhi.
February 16, 2016 06:05AM
Bodhi,

I am trying to get apache2 webserver running on the 4.4 kernel. However without success so far. Are there any known issues regarding this? I get a

Error connecting: Exhausted all available authentication mechanisms (tried: EXTERNAL, DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1, ANONYMOUS) (available: EXTERNAL, DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1, ANONYMOUS)

error message when installing.

Thanks,

Reto

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2016 06:05AM by Reto.
Hello Bodhi,

First, thank you so much for your hard work. I have a Pogoplug V4 (the mobile version) on which I've been running Kernel 3.18-5 and Debian Wheezy rootfs for some time. Recently, I wanted to add A2DP capabilities and since Wheezy comes shipping with Bluez 4, I decided it was time to try Debian Jessie, and upgraded the kernel to 4.4.0.tld-1.

Notes:
- Kernel 4.4.0 tld-1 works great with my existing Debian Wheezy rootfs, everything appears fully functional

Problem #1: booting with a USB Wifi dongle
- As soon as I enable "allow-hotplug" in /etc/network/interfaces for USB wifi dongles, the boot process freezes right after eth0 detection. If I unplug the USB wifi dongle (8188cus) and boot without it, all is good. I can then plug the USB wifi and no freeze. But I just can't boot my pogoplug with the USB wifi connected.
- FIX : remove the "allow-hotplug wlan0" from /etc/network/interfaces.

Problem #2: unable to blacklist rtl8192cu module
- BACKGROUND INFO : The built-in driver for 8192 doesn't work well with my 8188CUS cheap chinese wifi dongle. (it brings all networking down - wired and wireless) after a random amount of data being transferred. I've experienced this problem with kernel 3.4 on a OrangePi, as well as 3.14, 3.18 and 4.4 on my Pogoplug.
- Solution to my problem is to build a fixed 8192cu version as a DKMS module, and blacklist the kernel module rtl8192cu.
- PROBLEM: I am unable to blacklist the kernel module rtl8192cu. I've tried "blacklist rtl8192cu" and "install rtl8192cu /bin/false" (along with rtl8192c_common and rtlwifi modules) to no avail. My install always uses the kernel driver instead of my DKMS driver. This happens only with 4.4 with the Jessie Rootfs. This used to work perfectly with both 3.14 and 3.18 kernels on Debian Wheezy.

I found a fix to Problem #1 (as highlighted) but Problem #2 is a deal breaker for me. Any idea what the problem may be or how I can fix it ?

Thanks!
February 16, 2016 12:25PM
Damien,

The configuration for RTL8192CU did not change in 4.4, it is the same as in 3.14.

Does the kernel driver in 4.4 cause the same problem? have you let it run for a while?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Bodhi,

I must say I'm starting to be a bit mystified by these issues. I'm going to revert to 3.18-5 on Jessie and see how it goes. So far, these are the tests I've done with my cheapo-chinese-Wifi:

1- Debian 7 wheezy w/ kernel 3.18-5 with kernel driver = networking crashes after 50-150 MB of data transfer. that is specific to my cheapo wifi key
2- Debian 7 wheezy w/ kernel 3.18-5 with fixed driver as DKMS = all good, extensive testing over 1 month
3- Debian 7 wheezy w/ kernel 4.4.0 with kernel driver = not tested
4- Debian 7 wheezy w/ kernel 4.4.0 with fixed driver as DKMS = appears all good, little testing though - I need to recheck this
5- Debian 8 jessie w/ kernel 4.4.0 with kernel driver = networking crashes after 50-150 MB of data transfer. that is specific to my cheapo wifi key
6- Debian 8 jessie w/ kernel 4.4.0 with fixed driver as DKMS = no go, lsmod shows module is unused. I need to diagnose this some more.

So I will test 3.18-5 on Debian 8 Jessie to compare with the other scenarios. I will report here.
February 16, 2016 04:34PM
Damien Wrote:
> Bodhi,
>
> I must say I'm starting to be a bit mystified by
> these issues. I'm going to revert to 3.18-5 on
> Jessie and see how it goes. So far, these are the
> tests I've done with my cheapo-chinese-Wifi:
>
> 1- Debian 7 wheezy w/ kernel 3.18-5 with kernel
> driver = networking crashes after 50-150 MB of
> data transfer. that is specific to my cheapo wifi
> key
> 2- Debian 7 wheezy w/ kernel 3.18-5 with fixed
> driver as DKMS = all good, extensive testing over
> 1 month
> 3- Debian 7 wheezy w/ kernel 4.4.0 with kernel
> driver = not tested
> 4- Debian 7 wheezy w/ kernel 4.4.0 with fixed
> driver as DKMS = appears all good, little testing
> though - I need to recheck this
> 5- Debian 8 jessie w/ kernel 4.4.0 with kernel
> driver = networking crashes after 50-150 MB of
> data transfer. that is specific to my cheapo wifi
> key
> 6- Debian 8 jessie w/ kernel 4.4.0 with fixed
> driver as DKMS = no go, lsmod shows module is
> unused. I need to diagnose this some more.
>
> So I will test 3.18-5 on Debian 8 Jessie to
> compare with the other scenarios. I will report
> here.

Did you check the blacklist list of modules? And are they in a local config file? Sometime we forget this trivial stuff!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 17, 2016 05:52AM
Reto Wrote:
> I am trying to get apache2 webserver running on
> the 4.4 kernel. However without success so far.
> Are there any known issues regarding this?

For some reason the user www-data was corrupt. Even deleting www-data and creating it again did not help. I am now using a user called www and it works...
February 17, 2016 03:18PM
Reto Wrote:
> Reto Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I am trying to get apache2 webserver running on
> > the 4.4 kernel. However without success so far.
> > Are there any known issues regarding this?
>
> For some reason the user www-data was corrupt.
> Even deleting www-data and creating it again did
> not help. I am now using a user called www and it
> works...

Are you sure ownership and rwx rights are right?
bodhi Wrote:
> Did you check the blacklist list of modules? And
> are they in a local config file? Sometime we
> forget this trivial stuff!

Well, problem solved. Module driver now works on both 3.18-5 and 4.4.0 with Jessie rootfs. At least, that`s what 1 day of testing says. I had a bad .conf file (copied there by mistake) and it seems it was enough to screw up everything - weird thing is, I never saw any error message until I tried to compile the module on 4.1.0 (libkmod error). Sometimes I just hate Linux.

I will report back if anything goes wrong, otherwise, consider this closed and blame it on human error :)
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.