Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Debian Squeeze on Pogoplug Pink: Sudden Segmentation Faults

Posted by darethehair 
Debian Squeeze on Pogoplug Pink: Sudden Segmentation Faults
April 02, 2013 03:51PM
I had been running Debian Squeeze on my pink Pogoplug since 2011 quite happily. Occasionally, for no reason that I could see, a 'lockup' would occur, and my solution was typically to force a power-down, remove my USB stick, run 'fsck' repairs required, plug back in, and reboot. I learned that some USB brands were more resilient than others. Yes, a bit tedious at times but mostly amazing to watch my 4 watt wonder webserver...

Then, about 2 weeks ago, something weird happened. Some of the programs were failing with 'segmentation faults'. I suspected that maybe the binaries had been corrupted by USB stick errors -- but 'fsck' told me that everything was clean! I had no idea what to do, and didn't want to run in circles for days, so I did an emergency transfer of my webserver environment to an old Fujitsu laptop (slower benchmarks than the Pogoplug!). So far it is working fine in its new role...

So now I don't know what to do next with my Pogoplug. How can I avoid this mystery 'segmentation fault' failure in the future? Should I avoid USB sticks and use portable USB hard drives instead? Should I use the new 'wheezy' scripts and start over again?

There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
Re: Debian Squeeze on Pogoplug Pink: Sudden Segmentation Faults
April 27, 2013 06:12AM
Do you have swap enabled?

I was seeing seg faults on my debian wheezy when using deluge (torrent client), adding a 256MB swap solved everything.

here's a small script I saw that enables swap on another drive:

# Disable all existing swap
swapoff -a
# Pre-allocate the space to use as the swap file. The example below
#  creates a 256MB swap file on the mounted drive (count=256x1024).
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/somedrive/swapfile bs=1024 count=262144
# If creating the file was successful, enable the swap file now.
if [ -f /media/seagate/swapfile ]; then
        mkswap /mnt/somedrive/swapfile
        swapon /mnt/somedrive/swapfile
fi
Re: Debian Squeeze on Pogoplug Pink: Sudden Segmentation Faults
April 27, 2013 07:17AM
Thanks for the suggestion! In my case, though, I wonder why it would spontaneously start happening with no (apparent) changes in my usage? Hmmm...

There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.