Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Debian Installation on Synology DS718+

Posted by debi-718 
Re: Debian Installation on Synology DS718+
January 06, 2024 07:36PM
screw it :), just dump the sources/patches, really.

as long as it is not "integrated", there's not much risk and even then, it will bad PR for Synology to mess with DIY community.

anyway, thank you all for your work, I'm looking forward to do it on my box.
January 07, 2024 10:21AM
Let me reply to the recent posts here.

First point is that whoever wants to write me a hidden message can do so with a private message using a tool of this forum. There is no need to disclose private email addresses.

Next point license. Source code from kernel.org is published under GPL license. The kernel sources from Synology can be found here. The directory path where this archive is put suggests that it is covered by GPL and furthermore the

COPYING

file of the kernel sources is left unchanged. On the other hand license information is removed on important files like

drivers/ata/libata-core.c

where most modifications have to be done. This file for example has no explicit license information. Can someone explain which license is valid for the kernel?

I am not a lawyer and I would get into trouble at my company if it comes out that I am involved in licensing infringement issues. That's why I am a little bit paranoid. I will check next week if I can get a qualified response from a lawyer and what would be the price.
January 07, 2024 10:46AM
> file of the kernel sources is left unchanged. On
> the other hand license information is removed on
> important files like
>
>
> drivers/ata/libata-core.c
>
>
> where most modifications have to be done. This
> file for example has no explicit license
> information
. Can someone explain which license is
> valid for the kernel?

Then Synology has violated GPL license. So don't host that downloaded tarball yourself as a public service to others.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.