Andreas Heyer
Is there hardware RAID on Zyxel NAS326?
August 27, 2021 06:26AM
Hello Forum,

first of all, thanks bhodi and the rest of the forum for the good job you all have done! With your help my $15 PogoPlug Pro can run since years and now a Zyxel NAS326 joined running on Debian with your kernels.

Now I want to know if there is any hardware RAID support on the Zyxel NAS 326? I found some topics about RAID creation with the Zyxel firmware and got the impression it's using LVM. That's the way I'll go with Debian. But there are some statements that you'll get more performance when not using a "disk group" but the volume as a whole:

From the Zyxel community site, official manual

Is this somewhat inherent to LVM – so it doesn't matter if running stock or custom firmware – or is there any hidden hardware RAID support built-in I can use with your kernel and plain Debian as well?

Best wishes,
Andreas
Re: Is there hardware RAID on Zyxel NAS326?
August 27, 2021 10:30AM
Andreas,

> Is this somewhat inherent to LVM – so it doesn't
> matter if running stock or custom firmware – or
> is there any hidden hardware RAID support built-in
> I can use with your kernel and plain Debian as
> well?

I am not aware if this NAS326 boxhas hidden hardware RAID. I did not see any indication in stock OS when I hacked this box (from way back).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Andreas Heyer
Re: Is there hardware RAID on Zyxel NAS326?
August 27, 2021 10:56AM
I only know HW-RAID from PCs. In most cases RAID setup is configured inside BIOS prior OS even loads. I can't imagine how this can work on such a box like the Zyxel NAS so I too believe that it is just LVM/DM with stock firmware.

But according to the linked manual, there is "better performance" if not using a volume on a disk group. But from my understanding you use a volume group (=disk group?) as base of a LVM-RAID logical volume as well. So what is meant with these two options you can choose inside stock firmware?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.