Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wheezy upgrade problem using davy's 3.3.2 kernel

Posted by chessplayer 
Wheezy upgrade problem using davy's 3.3.2 kernel
June 09, 2013 07:33AM
Hi,

when upgrading to Wheezy from Squeeze based on Davy's kernel, everything went fine until

[ ok ] Setting up LVM Volume Groups...done.
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 6) of script `lvm2' overrides LSB defaults (empty).
Setting up parted (2.3-12) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.3.2-kirkwood-dg
Unsupported platform.
run-parts: /etc/initramfs/post-update.d//flash-kernel exited with return code 1
dpkg: error processing initramfs-tools (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
configured to not write apport reports
                                      Errors were encountered while processing:
 initramfs-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

What should be done about this? I am sure I saw something on this somewhere here in the forum, but I cannot find it anymore.

As always, help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

chessplayer

---
Standart ist der Standardfehler
Re: Wheezy upgrade problem using davy's 3.3.2 kernel
June 09, 2013 08:03AM
chessplayer,

That error can be ignored since the kernel naming convention is not standard (eg. 3.3.2-kirkwood-dg) . You should check your /boot directory to see if the file initrd.img-3.3.2-kirkwood-dg was generated. If it was, then you can go ahead and generate uInird (you don't have to generate uImage, but it goods to keep them updated in pair anyway).

Something similar to this
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-3.3.2-kirkwood-dg -d /boot/vmlinuz-3.3.2-kirkwood-dg /boot/uImage
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x00000000 -e 0x00000000 -n initramfs-3.3.2-kirkwood-dg  -d /boot/initrd.img-3.3.2-kirkwood-dg /boot/uInitrd

In my installation, I remove flash-kernel altogether and always manually generate these 2 uBoot-compliant images. This is to prevent a potential problem with mounting rootfs. It seems a bad initrd.img will sometime be created by initramfs-tools when it encounters an error like this (which should be just a warning).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2013 08:06AM by bodhi.
June 09, 2013 10:44AM
Hi bodhi,

thanks for the reply. To clarify: why do you say "similar"? Do I have to somehow determine the parameters after the -C -a and -e options or can I take the ones you posted without further checking (getting a bit more cautious now after bricking my NSA325 despite better advice from WarheadsSE ...)

chessplayer

---
June 09, 2013 05:56PM
Hi chessplayer,

By "similar" I meant you can name your image in the parameter "-n" to whatever you want to call them, or just use the commands as they are! The other parameters should be the same. Furthermore, you won't brick your box with this, if it does not work, you can mount the USB on another Linux box, remove them, and boot the NSA back on, and then generate the u-images again.

Another thought: make sure you back up your kernel files (including the 2 u-Iimages) before you upgrade to wheezy. The upgrade process should only generate a new initrd.img-3.3.2-kirkwood-dg, and make backup of the current one. But you'd never know, better safe than sorry :).

As I mentioned, to get rid of the error, run "apt-get remove flash-kernel".

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
June 11, 2013 01:04PM
@bodhi:

this worked, thanks. But even better: your 3.8.11 kernel boots the Zyxel NSA320 (see here).

Great!

---
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.