Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

/etc/network/interfaces not correct after debian install

Posted by NanoBot 
Hi everybody,

today I got my dockstar, and nearly everything went fine. For an unknown reason, the install script failed the first time when unpacking wget and started unpacking again and again. I stopped this with ctrl-c, rebooted the Dockstar into pogoplug and started a second attempt, and this time debian installed ok. Perhabs one of the packets was not downloaded correctly, who nows.

Nevertheless, after booting into debian the first time - netcat showed that the debian kernel was loaded without problems - I can't neither ping the dockstar nor could I connect to it via SSH. Apparently the reason was that the /etc/network/interfaces created during the debian install was malformed. Therefore I rebooted into pogoplug ( with the stick removed ) and attached the stick. Then I created /tmp/debian, mounted /dev/sda1 as /tmp/debian, and edited /etc/network/interfaces using vi to this content:

---

# Loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# LAN interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.20
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.254

---

After that modification and rebooting into debian, I was able to SSH the Dockstar without any further problems. Of course you could either use other private IPs for your Dockstar, or you may use DHCP instead. However, I you have problems to contact your Dockstart after the debian installation, you should have a look into /etc/network/interfaces and check, if it is correct.

Since it might be helpful to others, here is my current uboot environment, which allows me too see the bootlog on my XP PC using a Windows port of netcat with this command on the PC: "nc -lu -p 6666"

---

root@debian:~# fw_printenv
bootcmd=run bootcmd_usb; usb stop; run bootcmd_pogo; reset
bootdelay=3
baudrate=115200
arcNumber=2097
mainlineLinux=yes
console=ttyS0,115200
usb_init=usb start
usb_device=0:1
usb_root=/dev/sda1
usb_rootfstype=ext2
usb_rootdelay=10
mtdparts=mtdparts=orion_nand:1M(u-boot),4M(uImage),32M(rootfs),-(data)
mtdids=nand0=orion_nand
partition=nand0,2
bootcmd_pogo=fsload uboot-original-mtd0.kwb; go 0x800200
usb_boot=if ext2load usb $usb_device 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x80000 0 0x1100000;else bootm 0x800000;fi;
set_bootargs_usb=setenv bootargs console=$console root=$usb_root rootdelay=$usb_ rootdelay rootfstype=$usb_rootfstype $mtdparts
bootcmd_usb=run usb_init; run usb_load_uimage; run set_bootargs_usb; run usb_boo t;
ethact=egiga0
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
usb_load_uimage=mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x800000 /boot/uImage
ethaddr=00:10:75:1A:CE:32
serverip=192.168.1.1
ipaddr=192.168.1.20
if_netconsole=ping $serverip
start_netconsole=setenv ncip $serverip; setenv bootdelay 10; setenv stdin nc; se tenv stdout nc; setenv stderr nc; version;
preboot=run if_netconsole start_netconsole
root@debian:~#

---

C.U. NanoBot
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.