Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

compcache?

Posted by nigelhealy 
compcache?
November 14, 2010 12:39AM
Hi, I have bought a 2nd Dockstar, I've been hammering the one I used as all-things device and worried high-cpu and memory contention will cause some issues. At $27 delivered, can't really see it as a bad value.

I played a few years ago with COMPCACHE, which pipes the SWAP via GZIP to compress the swap so it has a smaller footprint. That is used currently primarily by LiveCD for compressing into little memory, and I played with it compressing also before passing to a disk swap.

Given the Dockstar has only 128MB, is there any views of the merits of applying COMPCACHE ? The advantage is can make the memory store more before swapping to storage. The disadvantage is it locks memory away from doing memory stuff and so forces more of a swap. It is good for situations where it just brings a server from swapping to not swapping.

The ARM processor is so powerful, it would help with the low memory?
Anyone tried? Anyone see a point?
Re: compcache?
November 14, 2010 02:14PM
yes i integrate the support to the next klernel 2.6.36.1
and i try to build the aditional pakage...
Re: compcache?
November 22, 2010 10:56PM
How's this going, you trying this?
I have 128MB and its swapping a little about 40MB max. Its causing performance issues. Compcache is one solution, as is compressing /usr but it's not liking my squashfs+aufs method.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.