Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Truecrypt - built package

Posted by nigelhealy 
Truecrypt - built package
November 04, 2010 07:01PM
Irevised for typos including ones from feedback, thanks)

This is the current latest version 7.0a, built using static library and NO gui. So command-line.
To install you'll need to copy this file to your path e.g. /usr/local/bin
You'll need to install dmsetup package.
You'll need to add fuse to /etc/modules

If there's anything I've forgotten if anyone wants to try please point any errors.
This is how it was built. First, download the source from truecrypt, you have to do this interactively, ticking to accept the T&C.Then copy to your dockstar, below Truecrypt's source is "Source.tar.gz". The other files needed can be downloaded on the Dockstar itself.

To build, this might be missing some steps, I might be missing some package which I'd installed anyway like headers, libs, compiler stuff, etc, this should be obvious by any failures. The make using the wxWidgets needs an absolute path, so here I was in /home/nigel - replace that with your chosen working area where you extracted the file.
sudo apt-get install build-essential libfuse-dev fuse-utils pkg-config libgtk2.0-dev
tar -xvzf Source.tar.gz
wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxwindows/wxWidgets-2.8.11.tar.gz
tar -xvf wxWidgets-2.8.11.tar.gz
cd truecrypt-7.0a-source
wget 'ftp://ftp.rsasecurity.com/pub/pkcs/pkcs-11/v2-20/pkcs11.h'; 
wget 'ftp://ftp.rsasecurity.com/pub/pkcs/pkcs-11/v2-20/pkcs11f.h'; 
wget 'ftp://ftp.rsasecurity.com/pub/pkcs/pkcs-11/v2-20/pkcs11t.h';
make NOGUI=1 WX_ROOT=/home/nigel/wxWidgets-2.8.11 wxbuild
# note - change above to the actual absolute path of wxWidgets
make NOGUI=1 WXSTATIC=1
You'll then have the truecrypt exectuble in Main subfolder.
To run you'll need to have
sudo apt-get install dmsetup
sudo modprobe fuse
(or)
edit /etc/modules and added fuse
To use, assuming you created a truecrypt file using the GUI (far easier) and copied the file to the Dockstar is simply, using example file of name-of-file
truecrypt name-of-file
It will then ask for mount directory, hit enter it will select /media/truecrypt1
Ask for the password of your file.
keyfile (typically none, hit enter)
Hidden? Typically No, hit enter
Root password needed
... and you're done, you'll see in df /media/truecrypt1
to unmount do
truecrypt -d
and it will ask for root password.

I built this for myself back in July for my Sheevaplug running the Ubuntu 9.04. I had a right pig a problem with the wxWidget library, so I'm saving you pain just to the do the above steps. There some HOWTO out there which simply don't work, due to wxWidget versions difference between the distros and Truecrypt.

I use Truecrypt on my Windows and Linux desktops and I store all my sensitve files inside Truecrypt volumes, on an otherwise non-encrypted environment. I backup to the Dockstar. Having Truecrypt on Dockstar means it can mount truecrypt volumes and so for example I can sync the contents over ssh (e.g. Windows is WinSCP) rather than copy all the contents, so I can have background continual replication.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 07:43PM by nigelhealy.
Attachments:
open | download - truecrypt.gz (707.7 KB)
open | download - truecrypt-help.txt (12.1 KB)
Re: Truecrypt - built package
November 04, 2010 10:30PM
Thanks for posting build instructions.

FYI - You have a typo on the following line:
wget 'ftp://ftp.rsasecurity.com/pub/pkcs/pkcs-11/v2-2/pkcs11f.h'; # should be /v2-20/

In case anyone is wondering if nigelhealy's binary is different from the self compiled version:
root@debian:~# md5sum truecrypt-7.0a-source/Main/truecrypt ./truecrypt
2432cb6a00aead782a73520eafb15610  truecrypt-7.0a-source/Main/truecrypt # <--- version I compiled
2432cb6a00aead782a73520eafb15610  ./truecrypt # <-- binary downloaded from above post
-PG
November 07, 2010 01:06AM
PG - thanks. Did I use the wrong, an old, version? I copy+pasted as I scrolled up through my actual commands, might have been a typo as I rejoined lines to make it look better? Should I recompile?
Anyhow my Truecrypt 7.0a is working great so far.
November 07, 2010 07:11AM
Everything looks good - no need to recompile. Just wanted to let everyone know that the posted binary is legitimate and safe to use. Thanks for posting it.

-PG
Benni
November 08, 2010 08:10AM
thanks for this posting
and the download
November 22, 2010 07:46PM
petergunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting build instructions.
>
> FYI - You have a typo on the following line:
> wget
> 'ftp://ftp.rsasecurity.com/pub/pkcs/pkcs-11/v2-2/p
> kcs11f.h' # should be /v2-20/
>

Thanks, I edited my original post to correct the typo, and a few other typos.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.