Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jeff's installer script: "Missing" packages/wget timeouts

Posted by droelf 
Jeff's installer script: "Missing" packages/wget timeouts
December 09, 2010 03:03PM
I recently installed debian squeeze with Jeff's installer script. According to the logs, some packages could not be downloaded, so debootstrap aborted. I tried again, and this time the missing packages were downloaded, but others failed! Since apt is not yet available, the script downloads the packages with wget, using the cdn.debian.org repository, which in theory should resolve to a mirror near your location. It seems that the wget used (I assume it's the version already installed on the original firmware) is a stripped down minimal version which does not account for generous timeouts. I did not investigate this any further, because changing the DEB_MIRROR variable to a fixed mirror near me solved the problem; the rest of the installer ran without any problems. So this is just a hint for other ppl. having this problem.
Many thanks to Jeff for the great work!

droelf
I had wget issues as well (not found, debootstrap fails). I think it is probably due to not having our arch (arm) available at the mirror which got picked.

I changed the setting to the more arch specific mirror and had no problems afterwards:

#DEB_MIRROR="http://cdn.debian.net/debian";
DEB_MIRROR="http://arm-geomirror.debian.net/debian/";
Re: Jeff's installer script: "Missing" packages/wget timeouts
December 27, 2010 02:14PM
I'm also having the same problems, only a new one not listed yet:

I keep getting an error that packages.gz is corrupt when using the cdn.debian.net/debian mirror.

And sometimes I don't get that error. Curious.

But thus far, if I don't get the corruption error, the script hang when trying to get a package (which always seems to vary, never the same one).
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.