Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ffserver/ffmpeg from squeeze repos?

Posted by firestorm_v1 
ffserver/ffmpeg from squeeze repos?
September 23, 2010 08:26PM
Hello everyone:

I'm hoping you all can help me find out a good solution to this. I've been playing around with Debian on the Dockstar (or DoD as I've started calling it, don't know if that's an official name or whatever) and I am trying to get a webcam to work to try and change a dockstar into an IP-camera.

I've done some research and it looks like I'll need FFserver and ffmpeg along with some other utilities to make it all work. That's not my problem.

The issue is that issuing "apt-get install ffmpeg" results in some version of FFMPEG getting installed however any attempts to run it, even "ffmpeg -v" or "ffmpeg --version" results in an "illegal instruction.

I even went so far and installed GDB so I could check to see if it's coredumping or whatnot however the result was the same. Since I have an 8GB stick and I originally partitioned it for 512M, I'm having to reinstall the Debian OS again (this time with more space. :P ) but I am wondering if it would be better to install the needed GCC compiler and libs and compile ffmpeg directly.

Anyone else tried this? Am I apt-getting the wrong package somewhere? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

FIRESTORM_v1
radu
Re: ffserver/ffmpeg from squeeze repos?
January 15, 2011 03:36AM
Hi firestorm_v1,

had the same problem on my sheevaplug (ffserver -> illegal instruction). I also thought building ffmpeg, but it was easier:

Insert this in your sources.list

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main

You'll also need the keyring, it's on their site.

Then just apt-get update & apt-get dist-upgrade and it updates ffmpeg (and a few libraries), no more illegal instruction.

Cheers,
radu
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.