Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How can I tell if I overloading my DockStar?

Posted by funtoy1001 
How can I tell if I overloading my DockStar?
February 08, 2011 07:05PM
I use my DockStar mainly as a torrent seedbox under Debian Squeeze. Besides rtorrent, I also have sabnzbplus, samba, apache and other support aps for them. Recently, I add Asterisk 1.8 to DockStar so I can use GTalk for free calls within US (and Canada?). Most of the time, I think the unit can handles all the tasks, but I am not so sure during post processing by sabnzbplus to unrar/unzip whole bunch of files. Will it help if I use nice to up the priority of asterisk so it always has priority over others?
Thanks.
Re: How can I tell if I overloading my DockStar?
February 08, 2011 10:44PM
I would start by using the "top" program, which should allow you to see just how busy the processor is and how full your memory is. If you are seeing significant paging or swapping, you probably want to offload your real-time critical packages, like asterisk, to another Dockstar. You might be able to improve the situation by "nicing" the critical processes or locking them in memory, but paging and/or high CPU loads will in general kill real time app performance.
rat
Re: How can I tell if I overloading my DockStar?
February 09, 2011 05:07AM
Yep, running top is the best way to monitor that. Change the ordering (Hit "O" and select which field it should sort by) to get an idea of what uses most CPU or RAM (since 128MB can be a little tight for some configs)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.