Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dockstar wont boot/even rescue system

Posted by wil32 
Dockstar wont boot/even rescue system
February 08, 2011 09:50PM
Someone today unplugged my dockstar while it was running, last night i changed the arcNumber which is known to screw up the rescue system...

When the dockstar boots without any usb devices connected to it, it passed from green blinking, then orange then nothing. There is no activity(DHCP) showing during or after that time. I scanned the ip range and didnt anything. I also tried to ssh with the last known ip of the dockstar without success.

When i boot the dockstar with the debian(usb) attached to it, it blinks green then stops to nothing. Also no ip or ssh possible.

What are my options from here.

- Netconsole doesnt work.
- Can i install the debian back to the usb disk without getting into the dockstar.
- How can i have access to the dockstar again.

I recieved the dockstar last week. I still can claim it on DOA or watever i guess, or at least 30 return policy

What do you guys think??
Re: Dockstar wont boot/even rescue system
February 08, 2011 10:34PM
If the Dockstar would boot from the USB device with Debian on it before it was unplugged and after you changed the arcNumber, then I'd speculate that Debian is dropping into single user mode due to the need to manually fsck the filesystem. File system corruption sometimes occurs after a sudden power failure. Take the USB device to another Linux machine and fsck it there. Be careful if there are significant file system problems, especially those involving the boot files -- you don't want to correct the file system in such a way as to leave it unbootable -- but more than likely, it will be something simple. After the file systems on the USB device fsck cleanly, plug it back into the Dockstar and see if it boots now. If it does, I'd certainly arrange for an alternate way of booting before I turned it loose again.

Good luck!
February 09, 2011 06:21AM
i remember that the system was corrupted because i did a reize2fs and in order to do that i did a fsck or ext2fsck, or watever the name was. The system was corrupted, but after the reize2fs, i tried to install debian with the script from a linux box, not the dockstar and it failed.

My only hope is to get it installed without the dockstar.
It is something possible???
Would a standard debian install work???
February 09, 2011 10:33AM
You can get a working image for copying onto your usb stick online. ;) There are some links in another thread around here.
February 09, 2011 02:51PM
i gotta leave for work right now, if anyone reading this knows the link or threads talking about such a script/file then feel free to link or post it here :)
February 10, 2011 06:36AM
You yourself even posted in the very thread that I was talking about: ;-)

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,2910,2931#msg-2931
February 10, 2011 06:46AM
I dont have a usb flash drive, i got a Seagate Freeagant so i cant image my drive since its not recognize by the imaging tool.
February 10, 2011 08:47AM
Does "dd" ring a bell?
The system shouldn't really care if it's a USB stick or a actual hdd. Both will be detected as /dev/sdx anyway.

So, give it a try. Download the image, extract the .img file and copy it to your hdd via dd. ;-) The description only applies to using linux of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 08:48AM by ingmar_k.
February 10, 2011 08:14PM
I got a usb stick from a collegue today, followed the tutorial and when i boot the whole thing, nothing happen..
February 11, 2011 03:18AM
I'd say it's time for a serial cable. ;)

BTW, "nothing" is a bit vague. That's why the cable should shed some light on the matter of what really happens when trying to boot.
February 11, 2011 07:36AM
i guess i will make scrap booking with it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 10:43AM by wil32.
February 11, 2011 09:52AM
wil32 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i filled an RMA, ill get a replacement since i had
> it for a week

That's the spirit, idiot! Excuse me, but if you brake something, you deal with it. :( Or did someone force you to fool around with debian on the device that was never meant to be used like that?
February 11, 2011 02:08PM
nice, my ethernet cable was bad, thats why i had no ip or any activity via my router. I guess the system was never broken..
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.