Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with samba

Posted by Trices 
Problem with samba
August 23, 2010 04:33AM
Hey com.

sorry for asking here.. but i really don't know what the problem is..

I want to install samba.. but i really cannot do it.. because i don't have a testparm or a smbpasswd... apt-get install samba gives no problem..

i fallowed about 5 how to's for lenny or etch.. but nothing worked..

is it possible that there is a problem with this debian and samba? i really can't figure it out..

thanks for helping me
flip
Re: Problem with samba
August 24, 2010 11:38AM
use:

apt-get install samba-common-bin
February 26, 2011 10:59PM
Thanks a lot, I fixed the same problem with tons of try before I finally got the answer here.

But could I ask some hint about how to figure this out?
February 27, 2011 02:59PM
You might want to check out this thread and read Petergunns post. It's about 3 or 4 post's from the top.

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,2340

It's more complex than the method I used on mine, but it's very well documented and far more secure than my setup is. Most importantly it gives all the package names you need to install, which also gave me issue's.

Dave
February 27, 2011 11:08PM
I am kind of newbie too in linux, but I do learned some basic rule when I began to use linux. Search before ask.

In this case, I used (I thought the OP did it too) some other direction on how to install SAMBA onto debian. But most of them did not mentioned the samba-common-bin. And during the installing, there are other libs needed too. I do not know I am right or not, this debian is compile for our special CPU, and may be different with the normal one. So I do concern which direction will be the best for our debian, and how we can have the ability to find it.
February 28, 2011 01:24AM
My approach is for this is: after you've installed samba package, look at the installation log right away to see which packages are recommended and install them, too. Sometime there are also suggested packages on the list. When you've noticed something is missing, go back to the installation log and look at that list.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2011 04:01AM by bodhi.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.