Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgrade to stable Squeeze possible?

Posted by darkside40 
Upgrade to stable Squeeze possible?
March 08, 2011 01:26AM
Hi there,
i have installed Debian Squeeze on my Dockstar in October with Jeff's script and hadn't changed anything regarding the Kernel till today.

Now i would like to upgrade my debian to the stable Squeeze Release.
Is it possible to do a simple apt-get dist-upgrade or would i run into problems with that because of another Kernel etc.

Has anybody done that before?

Thanks for the help.
Re: Upgrade to stable Squeeze possible?
March 08, 2011 04:52AM
It should go fine; I update my system pretty regularly (running aptitude dist-upgrade every day or two), and I don't remember any showstoppers since I first installed using Jeff's script in September. But you're right, the kernel will be an issue as it was upgraded (multiple times) since October. After you upgrade squeeze, and before you reboot, make sure to run the following, otherwise your Dockstar won't boot:
/usr/bin/mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel  -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-2.6.32-5 -d /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-kirkwood /boot/uImage
/usr/bin/mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x00000000 -e 0x00000000 -n initramfs -d /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-kirkwood /boot/uInitrd

Or, run "ls -l /boot" first and see if the timestamps for /boot/uImage and /boot/uInitrd were updated. Maybe check that before doing your squeeze upgrade, so you can compare, but they should be dated from back in October so if they have a March timestamp, they were obvious upgraded. If they're updated, you don't have to run the above commands and it should be safe to reboot.
Re: Upgrade to stable Squeeze possible?
March 12, 2011 12:35PM
Okay just did the upgrade.

I had to use the two commands but than it worked without any problems.
Now i am on stable!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.