Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dockstar wont work after installation

Posted by Maddy 
Maddy
Dockstar wont work after installation
March 24, 2011 04:33AM
I have installed Debian on dockstar and everything goes fine and at last i got message to reboot. However putty window does not responding. Hence i manually restarted dockstar, but now after that i am not able to login to dockstar, when i use default password, it shows access denied.
Even dockstar light does not show amber.
Is there any issues, please help me to get my dockstar back
Re: Dockstar wont work after installation
March 24, 2011 06:41AM
Hi,
what do you mean with default password? The password to login debian after Jeff's script is "root" not "stxadmin". The LED is off, that's right because the kernel installed with the script doesn't know it.

--
shyd

Goflex Net 3.9.5 | Dockstar 3.9.5 | http://dev.shyd.de
Maddy
March 24, 2011 07:33AM
Thanks for the clarification but is it fine if LED is not flashing.
March 24, 2011 12:17PM
If you want it to flash and more modules install heavykernel and edit the two files: http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,582

--
shyd

March 25, 2011 08:44AM
have you modified arcNumber environment?
for example, my plugapps linux worked fine with arcNumber 2998
debian kernel wants 2097 instead
so login to pogoplug OS and check it
/usr/sbin/fw_printenv | grep arcNumber

if needed change it with
/usr/sbin/fw_setenv arcNumber 2097

cheers
John Doe
March 25, 2011 02:30PM
There's no point in changing the arcNumber to 2097 from Pogoplug OS. If Pogoplug OS boots, then the arcNumber is already set to 2097, otherwise the kernel of the builtin Pogoplug OS wouldn't work.

Don't change the arcNumber without understanding what it does. You can lock yourself out of the system! The safest arcNumber is the one the system came with. The new Debian kernels still work with that arcNumber, except for the LED support. Compared to the Sheevaplug, the Dockstar uses different GPIO pins (General Purpose Input Output) to drive the dual-color LED. The arcNumber tells the Linux kernel which kind of device it's running on. Older kernels do not recognize the Dockstar arcNumber and refuse to run. The kernel of the Pogoplug OS is such a kernel which was patched to use different GPIOs with the Sheevaplug arcNumber. You should only change the arcNumber if you're sure that you have a backup OS that works with the new arcNumber. The Pogoplug OS only works with the old arcNumber (2097).

If you can ping the Dockstar over the network, then the arcNumber does not need to be changed, unless you really need LED support.
March 26, 2011 07:52AM
@John Doe:
Pogoplug will boot if the arcNumber is changed.

@Maddy:
Forget about the arcNumber-thing so far and install heavykernel.deb to get LED support. It's simple to handle and you will be able to run most devices such as usb-wifi, usb-sound...
You will get in touch with the arcNumber just if decide to build your own kernel.

--
shyd

March 26, 2011 12:38PM
I have solved some issue and able to browse debian remotely through SSH. I have installed transmission. But i dont know how to use transmission through putty. I have tried to install webmin but it shows it cant see such package. I dont know how to use transmission remotely but looking for webmin to control it, if somebody please guide here, it will be appreciated.
March 27, 2011 06:10PM
You can control Transmission using Web browser, see info here.

To set up, using SSH, log in to the box, stop transmission, and edit the file /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/settings.json.

The most relevant parameters are user name, password, and port. To keep it simple, use "transmission" as user name, and choose any unused port number in the high range such as one below, and type in a text password. When you restart transmission, it will be hashed automatically (no need to generate it).

"rpc-password": "yourpassword",
"rpc-port": 8181,
"rpc-username": "transmission",

From your PC bring up a browser and enter an URL like this: http://<your dockstar ip addr>:8181.

What ever changes you've made through the GUI, it will be only for that session (not be saved when you stop transmission). So always stop transmission, edit the file, and restart if you want the settings to retain.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 06:17PM by bodhi.
April 01, 2011 09:37AM
I am trying hard to configure samba share but still unable to do it. Please help me. I would go step by step what i have done,
Installed samba on debian with

apt-get install samba smbfs samba-common-bin samba-tools smbclient.

I have created user as

useradd -d /home/user -s /bin/bash user
echo " user = \"user\"" >> /etc/samba/smbusers
chown -R user /home/user

And provided access to the drive which i want to share

chown user /media/sda3

Now i have edited samba.conf file as follows

cat - >> /etc/samba/smb.conf <<END
[files]
comment = SDA3
valid users = user
browseable = yes
read only = no
locking = no
path = /media/sda3
guest ok = no

END

Then i have restarted samba process and i am able to see samba running though webmin under running processes.

Now i want to use this drive on my 2 laptops. I have logged to ubuntu and try to add this location through "Connect to server", it shows cant find such location.

Now I booted to vista, I changed workgroup name to "MADNET" which i given druing samba installation and tried to check this share through "Map Network drive" as follows"

First i have given path as follows "\\192.168.2.100\media\sda3, it ask for username and password, i tried "user" and password it shows no such location, tried "GROUP\user" and password, again same error.

i tried "root" and password(root, havent changed) it shows wrong UN or password, tried "GROUP\root" and password, again same error.

I have tried this several time and it is really furstating.
To add further, i have partition my 500GB HDD with 2 NTFS drives along with necessary debian partition. I mounted it to /media and now tried to share it. I have installed NTFS-3g for ntfs support.
Is it problem behind this as debian partition is still ext2 formatted.

I have attached whole samba.conf for your reference. Please look into this.

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (192.168.2.101)
# Date: 2011/04/01 10:38:55

[global]
dos charset = CP850
unix charset = UTF-8
display charset = LOCALE
workgroup = MADNET

realm =
netbios name = DEBIAN
netbios aliases =
netbios scope =
server string = %h server
interfaces =
bind interfaces only = No
security = USER
auth methods =
encrypt passwords = Yes

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
create mask = 0700
directory mask = 0700

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba

create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
browseable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[SDA3]
comment = sda3
path = /media/sda3
read only = No
locking = No
April 01, 2011 11:36AM
I didn't check all your config, but did you add the new user to the smb-user? Instead echo to smbusers try:
smbpasswd -a user #add
smbpasswd -e user #enable

--
shyd

April 03, 2011 11:32PM
Finally i am able to use samba share. I have installed deluge to download torrent on dockstar. I am using web UI to monitor it. When i start any download i am getting good speed along with good seeds, after some time i see decrease in speed even sometime it becomes zero even there are 500-1000 seeders. I dont know what the problem, how do i get constant speed.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.