Kirkwood linux-5.16.5-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2
February 08, 2022 06:52PM
Hi bodhi,

The link for linux-5.16.5-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2 gives a 404

Thanks!
-JT
Re: Kirkwood linux-5.16.5-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2
February 08, 2022 07:43PM
Thanks JT! seems like bitly has changed their URL. It used to be able to take either https://bit.ly or https://bitly.com. Now it is only https://bit.ly.

(bit.ly is confusing because .ly is the domain name for Lybia. That's why I always use bitly.com).

I've corrected it now. Please try again!

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
February 08, 2022 07:47PM
The new link works! I'm trying to get my M300 up to date.

Thanks, bodhi!
February 08, 2022 08:13PM
> The new link works! I'm trying to get my M300 up
> to date.

Cool!

BTW, I did not forget the M300 :) I revisited it from time to time. I have a u-boot 2022.01 that runs OK. But the USB and/or SATA spinup still has inconsistency. That's seems to be why when you boot with SATA, you also need USB drive plugged in (it is power related).

So now plan B, and will see if I can solve that issue so we can have a modern u-boot..

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 08, 2022 09:47PM
Cool, I'm glad to hear it! Originally I wanted to use the SSD as the boot drive and use a USB hard drive for data, but I've changed my mind. I'm going to use a flash drive for the boot drive and the SATA port for a large eSATA drive, but it would be nice to know what the USB/SATA power issue is. I've only booted in that configuration a few times, but so far I haven't had any problems.
February 09, 2022 01:46PM
@bodhi: Thanks for continuing to think about this. My M300 runs 24/7/365 and seems to boot OK with a 128GB SSD connected to SATA. My spare M300 with the stock 16GB internal SATA card will not boot without a USB connected. Keep up the good work, and thanks.
February 09, 2022 03:53PM
All,

I reserve my judgment about Dell's violation of GPL by not releasing their changes to u-boot source specific to this box. People has requested GPL source for this box, and the answer was "there is no change to u-boot source, therefore we don't need to release anything". What BS :)

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 09, 2022 06:54PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried to disassemble any u-boot before? Not worth the trouble or too hard to follow the disassembled code?
February 09, 2022 11:03PM
> Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried to
> disassemble any u-boot before? Not worth the
> trouble or too hard to follow the disassembled
> code?

Usually we use binwalk and hexedit to see where certain things are in the image, and search for certain strings that are interesting. It is really not worth it to disassemble the code to find out how and where something is done. It is easy enough to roll new u-boot when you know the SoC, and what HW are in the box.

The specifics such as how to power up USB, SATA, MMC,... are usually described in the GPL source. I never had trouble finding something like that for other Kirwood boards.

This board seems to have something diffrent. If you monitor the bootlog you'll notice it takes a very long time to spin up the USB drive. And the kernel loading also being slow down substantially by u-boot.

I suspect there must be some hacks implemented in the u-boot image header.

Aslo, I guess somebody can spend the time to trace the circut board to see where the GPIO pins go, and if there is anything odds about them...

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 14, 2022 02:34AM
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Aslo, I guess somebody can spend the time to trace
> the circut board to see where the GPIO pins go,
> and if there is anything odds about them...

I had my hot air tool out so I thought I'd pop off the CPU and see what I could find. That was probably a mistake. I was expecting something like the CPU on the Dockstar, but this thing is like nothing I've seen. Anyone know where I can find the datasheet or at least the pinout for the 88F6282 FCBGA package and not just a two page overview? And why does Marvell make it so freaking hard to get a datasheet? I have a feeling my spare M300 is going to become sacrificial.

On another note the kernel update went well and I even updated to Bullseye which I may also end up regretting.
Attachments:
open | download - 88F6282.jpg (111.6 KB)
open | download - M300board.jpg (365.5 KB)
February 15, 2022 09:07PM
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.