Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Remote Desktop Help

Posted by JohnRKlein 
Remote Desktop Help
June 19, 2011 08:43PM
I'm not a Linux Guru in addition to never doing remote desktops.. I've been having trouble and have tried several different ways.. Anyway, here's some exact steps if someone wants to help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Here's what I did step by step.

Step 1:
I do a fresh Debian install per directions here. reboot.

Step 2:
apt-get update

For some reason DNS it doesn't work, so I add the DNS ip to /etc/resolv.conf and try again.

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get install tightvncserver

vncserver -geometry 1024x768 -depth 8

Set password and say no to read only pasword. It complains about missing X11 fonts.

apt-get install xfonts-base

Connect with VNCViewer in windows with an obviously grey screen but a working mouse.. I now need to installed something that uses it.

vncserver -kill :1
apt-get install xterm

Connect with VNCViewer in windows, I have my xterm.. I type reboot in my xterm. I wait a bit and ssh back in.

Connect with VNCViewer in windows, I still have my xterm.. I now install a Manager.

vncserver -kill :1
apt-get install icewm

Connect with VNCViewer in windows, I have icewm running. Within icewm, I open a xterm and type reboot.

I ssh back into it again.

I start an xterm and shutdown.

shudown 1

I unplug the dockstar and replug it in.. I can no longer ssh into it..

This is just one scenario. I seems I can get the desktop running no problem.. It seems I can reboot with no problem.. But if I have to unplug the dockstar once it's setup, I can no long get it to boot.

I can get back into this USB drive by removing it and letting the original OS install.. Any suggestions on why it will no longer boots and what config file I can tweak to get it working again? I can repeat the steps above with the same results..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2011 10:30PM by JohnRKlein.
Re: Remote Desktop Help
June 21, 2011 03:34PM
I have installed tightvnc or Dockstar and have been using it for some time. Never have ssh login problems.
June 21, 2011 07:57PM
Did you shutdown, power up, and ssh in successfully before installing TightVNC?
June 22, 2011 01:20AM
Yes. I didn't and don't have any issues at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2011 01:22AM by twinclouds.
June 27, 2011 11:18PM
Ugh..

Ok.. I made a bad assumption. This didn't have anything to do with VNC at all..

I think I'm a victum of uboot not wanting to reliably boot form my USB drive even though it's the offical one that goes to it... My buddy has several dockstars and lent me this one to experiment on.. We switched out the USB drive and now it seems I don't have this problem.

Thanks guys.. My bad.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.