Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Solved] Dockstar 'freeze' during multi-file transfer to Windows 7 PC.

Posted by grayhair 
[Solved] Dockstar 'freeze' during multi-file transfer to Windows 7 PC.
July 05, 2011 11:06AM
This is not strictly a Dockstar issue, but I thought it might be of interest to this community...

Quick Synopsis: The Dockstar would seem to 'lock up' when transferring many files from the Dockstar to my Windows 7 machine. Solution: adjust some Window 7 security parameters as described in this thread:
================================
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/75-63-windows-samba-issue

from nikonz:

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy

Local Policies - Security Options

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
Send LM & NTLM responses

Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
Disable Require 128-bit encryption

================================

Longer version: I was using the Dockstar and a Logitech webcam to monitor the cat litter pans (don't ask). The Motion software worked perfectly, and captured many images. Every time I would try to transfer all of them from the Dockstar to my Windows 7 machine (wireless), there would be a problem. After transferring hundreds of pictures, the transfer would stop, and the Dockstar would no longer be connected the router. I could transfer 10-20 files without issue, but not all in one group. Of course I blamed the Dockstar........

This led to many false starts for troubleshooting - complicated by the fact that I am Linux impaired. I tried a different wireless adapter - no go. Then I monitored with a serial cable, and found that the Dockstar was running, but Samba was stopped. Restarting Samba did not help. Then I connected with an Ethernet cable, but the transfer would not even start. (My bad - I messed up /etc/network/interfaces. Glad for that serial cable again...) Eventually, it dawned on me that the problem might be with Windows (shocking!!!) I stumbled on the thread above, applied the security changes, and the files transfer without issue.

Now I know which cat is far too picky about the litter boxes....
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.