Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cubox 510 1st gen kirkwood + debian 11

Posted by CUBOX_K 
Cubox 510 1st gen kirkwood + debian 11
February 20, 2022 12:39PM
Hello guys. I installed new debian 11 on my old cubox 510, how can i make it work s/pidf audio kirkwood? It only worked on kernel 3.6.9, anything newer does not include a driver for this audio.
Re: Cubox 510 1st gen kirkwood + debian 11
February 20, 2022 04:03PM
CUBOX_K,

> Hello guys. I installed new debian 11 on my old
> cubox 510, how can i make it work s/pidf audio
> kirkwood? It only worked on kernel 3.6.9, anything
> newer does not include a driver for this audio.

This Cubox 510 is not a Kirkwood. It's Marvel Dove SoC. We have a thread for the HP Thin Client T5335z here:

https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,66989,116839#msg-116839

The older kernel 3.6.9 is most likely a non-FDT kernel, so s/pidf audio is enable in the kernel setup code. The later kernel are FDT, so all devices, including audio, are defined in the kernel DTS.

Since you mentioned installing Debian 11, I assume you installed mainline kernel, using Debian netinstaller or CD?

I'll take a look at the mainline Cubox DTS to see if I can tell why s/pdif does not work.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
February 20, 2022 07:32PM
OK. I've looked at the mainline Cubox DTS (arch/arm/boot/dts/dove-cubox.dts). It does not look complete as far as sound system is concerned. That's probably why normal audio is working, but not s/pdif.

I have not tested the HP Thin Client T5335z sound system yes. But I recall with its cousin HP Thin Client T5225 (Kirkwood SoC), there is a lot more than what the Cubox DTS has right now. I did test the HP T5225 sound system and s/pdif was working.

For the HP T5335z (Dove SoC) DTS, see the patch linux-5.16.5-mvebu-tld-1.patch in the release thread: https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,32146.

For the HP T5225 (Kirkwood SoC) DTS, see the patch linux-5.16.5-kirkwood-tld-1.patch in the release thread: https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 10, 2023 03:10PM
Greetings. I didn’t manage to get it to work last time, today I returned to this issue again. Debian 11, kernel 6.0.0. What exactly do I have to do to get the sound to work? I would be grateful for help
January 10, 2023 04:50PM
CUBOX_K,

As I mentioned, I have not tested sound on my T5335z box. So not sure how to help.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
February 24, 2023 12:25AM
I have the Cubox and two other 88AP510 based devices (GlobalScale D2Plug and GlobalScale D3) and audio doesn't appear to work on any of them. I suspect that there is something missing or mis-configured in the DTS or the kernel config is missing 1 or more relevant defines. I haven't had the time lately to dig into it and likely won't until late March!
February 26, 2023 03:14PM
CUBOX_K Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Greetings. I didn’t manage to get it to work
> last time, today I returned to this issue again.
> Debian 11, kernel 6.0.0. What exactly do I have to
> do to get the sound to work? I would be grateful
> for help
I just discovered that most of the dove devices with dts in mainline kernel are missing enabling of the following devices:
  • gpu-subsystem
  • audio-controller
  • lcd-controller

I'm working on a patch for the cubox, d2plug and d3plug devices.

Also @bodhi the kernel config you are using is missing CONFIG_DOVE_THERMAL=y which prevents monitoring the dove temperatures.

Ray
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.