Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help installing Debian on Dockstar

Posted by exenew 
Help installing Debian on Dockstar
October 19, 2011 10:38PM
Guys i have been using dockstart for over year and finally decided to give this a shot. I dont know much or almost nothing on linux so please help me..

So followed instructions as listed here - http://www.jeff.doozan.com/debian/

I have 2 partitions on USB like this
Disk /dev/sda1: 1023 MB, 1023809024 bytes
32 heads, 63 sectors/track, 991 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2016 * 512 = 1032192 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1p1 * 1 497 500944+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda1p2 498 982 488880 82 Linux swap

then i followed ran this "-bash-3.2# ./dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh" I am getting following happens - looks like some sort of error - what could be wrong and how to fix and move on?

If everything looks good, type 'ok' to continue: ok
Connecting to jeff.doozan.com (69.163.187.226:80)
install_uboot_mtd0.s 100% |***************************************| 17281 --:--:-- ETA
Installing Bootloader
# checking for /usr/sbin/nandwrite...

# Installing /usr/sbin/nandwrite...
Connecting to jeff.doozan.com (69.163.187.226:80)
nandwrite.md5 100% |***************************************| 44 --:--:-- ETA
wget: bad address 'jeff.doozan.com'
md5sum: can't open '/usr/sbin/nandwrite': No such file or directory
md5sum: can't open '/usr/sbin/nandwrite': No such file or directory
## Could not install /usr/sbin/nandwrite from http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/nandwrite, exiting.
# checking for /sbin/mke2fs...

# Installing /sbin/mke2fs...
## Could not install /sbin/mke2fs from http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/mke2fs, exiting."
Re: Help installing Debian on Dockstar
October 20, 2011 05:00PM
It looks to me that you don't have complete internet connectivity on your pogoplug at that point.

You can test it by first pinging yahoo.com, or jeff.doozan.com and if ping fails, then its pretty clear.

What does your router on your network say? It should be showing (in its client list) if your Pogoplug is currently connected, and if it has assigned (and leased) it a DHCP ip address.

=====================================================
October 20, 2011 08:57PM
I tried debian squeeze again and this time it went quite far in whatever it was doing but it aborted at one point and my dockstar would keep flashing orange after reboot.

Then i decided to debian lenny and looks like it installed fine and after reboot i changed password.

Now big questions if i have USB drive connected that i want to access from windows computer, what do i need to do? i tried opening in like "\\dockstar ip" in Run in windows but didnt get anything. More like network share.

So i go this, is any tips or better performing linux than this
debian:/# uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.33 #2 PREEMPT Tue Mar 2 14:27:17 MST 2010 armv5tel GNU/Linux
Treblig
October 21, 2011 07:35AM
To access your Dockstar from Windows you'll need to go thru SSH. Putty works great. SSH is enabled on the Dockstar.

From your Windows box you log on your Dockstar with its LAN IP (see the "attached devices" on your modem / router) and then use the user ID / password you chose during the setup of Debian on the Dockstar.
October 21, 2011 09:08AM
Actually i want to create network share. i have Media Center PC in my home network that i want to map drive behind this dockstar. Is it possible anyhow?
October 21, 2011 05:23PM
exenew: did you install samba yet? you'll need to do that. If you are not familiar with it, you can google it... there is a web interface called SWAT that one can used to set up/manage samba/cifs shares.

=====================================================
October 22, 2011 06:43AM
October 22, 2011 09:57AM
right i just went to that site and i did set up Samba and i was able to share drives and map on another computer. I had to manually mount each drive.

USBmount does not seem to auto map ntfs drives. It did mount debian drive though, i did add ntfs and ntfs-3g in usbmount config. still no luck.
Here's my usbmount conf
ENABLED=1
MOUNTPOINTS="/media/usb0 /media/usb1 /media/usb2 /media/usb3"
FILESYSTEMS="vfat ext2 ext3 ext4 hfsplus ntfs"
USB_NTFS3G="yes"
MOUNTOPTIONS="noexec,nodev,noatime,nodiratime"
FS_MOUNTOPTIONS=""
VERBOSE="yes"

Any idea?

Also since now its running debian- what's possibility of additing USB hub to dockstar?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.