Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mythtv install

Posted by orange 
Mythtv install
October 26, 2011 03:42PM
Can anyone write a step by step tutorial on installing mythtv and getting mythweb to work on the network. I have hdhomerun tv tuner. There is a old thread on mythtv but the details are sparse. I was wondering if anyone had this setup recently and if they have used mc2xml for tv listings. Mythtv itself installs from squeeze without problem. My problem is mythweb and mc2xml to work together.

I am getting an apache error with mod rewrite line missing for mythweb install.
adeon
Re: Mythtv install.
October 27, 2011 02:37PM
Hey apple,

I am assuming you have debian allready running and nano installed

add "deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free" to your sources list "nano /etc/apt/sources.list"

Then do:
1)apt-get update
2)apt-get install mythtv
3) comment out "bind address"
4) restart mysql "/etc/init.d/mysql restart"
5) install xorg "apt-get install xorg"
6) install vnc "apt-get install tightvncserver"
7) setup vnc "tightvncserver :1"
8) connect via vncviewer
9) run mythtv-setup and setup

Best of luck!

-adeon
adeon
Re: Mythtv install.
October 27, 2011 02:43PM
when connecting with VNC make sure you connect to "192.168.1.XXX:1"
Otherwise it errirs out

adeon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey apple,
>
> I am assuming you have debian allready running and
> nano installed
>
> add "deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze
> main non-free" to your sources list "nano
> /etc/apt/sources.list"
>
> Then do:
> 1)apt-get update
> 2)apt-get install mythtv
> 3) comment out "bind address"
> 4) restart mysql "/etc/init.d/mysql restart"
> 5) install xorg "apt-get install xorg"
> 6) install vnc "apt-get install tightvncserver"
> 7) setup vnc "tightvncserver :1"
> 8) connect via vncviewer
> 9) run mythtv-setup and setup
>
> Best of luck!
>
> -adeon
Re: Mythtv install
October 27, 2011 05:25PM
Thanks for the reply. I did the setup with mythconverg and 192.168.1.xxx access and it worked. Then I ran mythweb and I can get the site interface. However, I am getting this error:

MediaServer:: No BackendServerIP Address defined

I checked the backend ip and ran mythtv setup again. Still getting same error. I cannot get mythbackend to run due to above error msg. I retraced my entire setup but still getting same error message.

Any suggestions is appreciated.
adeon
October 27, 2011 06:22PM
Hey orange,

I am trying the webpackage myself. What is your internal pogoplug ip?
adeon
October 27, 2011 11:26PM
Orange, how did you get mythweb to come up, i cant even get it to install!
adeon
October 28, 2011 02:12AM
I got Web to run, however it seems to error out. when acessing a new page or other.

I can connect from frontends, but it sees the pogo plug is just not up to the task the system seems to run out of mem rapidly.

I cant get one live tv on front ends because it exits when the one is getting hit.

Best of luck to all it seems to not work
October 28, 2011 07:12AM
I've been using MythTV backend and MythWeb on my dockstar for about 9 months now. It works flawlessly as a basic DVR, and will stream 1080 HD recordings to my ps3 with no issues. I use a HDHomeRun as a tuner.

The only thing different I see in your installation instructions was that I did not install any sort of VNC. I was able to use Xorg. This allowed me to run mythtv-setup.

The only real issue I had when first getting things set up were network settings. Somehow my MTU was getting set to something really low, like 500. The dockstar was able to talk to the HDHomerun, but wasn't capturing the videostream as a result.

I've occasionally logged into it via a remote frontend, and attempted to watch liveTV. It's not really well suited for this, especially if the channels are HDTV.

The dockstar isn't up for the task of doing any transcoding or commercial flagging. But it works well as a backend/basic DVR.

Regards,
Chris
October 28, 2011 10:19PM
Adeon, as Chris mentioned you cannot do live streaming. You can however, get this setup to record the stream to hdd. Then use low power device such as wdtv live, asus play to access these recordings and watch on hdtv with 5.1 sound.

All of the recording is done without any decoding in m2ts, so no need for high end energy sucking PC. This is good setup for low power, 24/7 system.

I am still stuck at the same error message. Will report back after 1 more go during the weekend.

Chris, do you have any suggestions. Are you using hdhomerun with cable tv or antenna and what are you using for tv listings source.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2011 10:26PM by orange.
adeon
November 03, 2011 06:12PM
Hey orange,

Use Schedules Direct. It seems to work great except on some channels I think some tweaking will make it work.
I am still in the process of trying this again. now with mythweb, weverytime I was trying it a error occured for some reason.

I will try again see if everything works ok.
Best of luck
-adeon
November 10, 2011 06:24PM
Ah, I didn't see the original issue with the TV listings. Yes, I'm using Schedules Direct. Also, I'm using the digital signal that I get from my Cable provider (Comcast), so my list of channel choices is limited. But it works well for what I wanted to use it for.

For some reason, even with Schedules Direct, I had to do a manual edit on every channel after the initial scan, in order for the listing to start working properly. This took a bit of time, but fortunately you (hopefully) only have to do that once.

Chris
November 16, 2011 06:03AM
I just upgraded my mythtv installation using webmin's package upgrade feature, now my mythtv no longer works. There appears to be broken packages for

(0.24.1+fixes20111029-0.0squeeze1)

A little more investigation on this reveals that the updated mythtv-backend is still dependent on the previous version of mythtv-common. The broken dependency seems to be what is preventing the install.

MythTV installation seems to be broken for ARMEL and Squeeze.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 06:43AM by ChrisC.
November 18, 2011 05:33AM
OK, it was a bit of a learning process for me, but I downloaded older .deb files for mythTV and was able to get everything working again. The good news was the none of my settings were lost. Once mythbackend started up, everything was good.

So, it appears that for the time being, until the broken packages for the latest distribution get fixed, this is what worked for me mythtv_0.24.1-0.0squeeze1_all.deb

I had to manually install (using dpkg -i after downloading manually):

mythtv_0.24.1-0.0squeeze1_all.deb
mythtv-backend_0.24.1-0.0squeeze1_armel.deb
mythtv-common_0.24.1-0.0squeeze1_all.deb

This was what worked for me. Hopefully this saves someone else a little pain in the future :)

Chris
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.