Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Has anyone been able to use a USB-to-HDMI convertor on a NAS device?

Posted by gavin 
Has anyone been able to use a USB-to-HDMI convertor on a NAS device?
April 05, 2012 08:27PM
Hi all,

So, I understand that one can install Debian on a NAS device, like PogoPlug. But can you also attach a USB-to-HDMI convertor to the PogoPlug to essentially turn the device into an inexpensive desktop?

I've been reading about a similar initiate for mobile phones (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_High-definition_Link). Of course, mobile phones have a display built in already and PogoPlug does not, so it may be impossible.

Your thoughts, please?
Re: Has anyone been able to use a USB-to-HDMI convertor on a NAS device?
April 08, 2012 10:31PM
Modern DisplayLink devices/adapters work best (i.e. Displaylink Doublesight DS-90U) and can drive a monitor up to 1920x1200 in 16bit color. X11 desktop is useable as long as an efficient window manager is used (fluxbox is best) and web browsing works with a lightweight browser like Midori, uzbl, or dillo.

Dont epect miracles though - the dockstar has a single real USB2.0 port (the others are a hub) and the bandwidth is shared with the disk drive and anything else plugged in. Realtime video is not really possible - even scrolling web pages can be a bit jumpy.

-PG
April 08, 2012 10:59PM
Hello Peter,

Thank you for that. So, I wonder, if I were to buy a USB-3 NAS device, do you think that would make the desktop experience up to par with what people expect nowadays?
April 10, 2012 01:09AM
Addendum:

This Pogoplug (Series 4) is USB 3.0, and apparently sells for about $100.

Is anyone planning to try a Displaylink monitor with this device? Would it be cheaper/easier/better to use a Nettop PC for running Debian?

-Gavin
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.