Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installing mainline Debian on GoFlex Home base

Posted by shankargopal 
Installing mainline Debian on GoFlex Home base
May 24, 2012 12:33AM
I have a newly purchased GoFlex Home base (from a sale tipoff from Varkey :) ) and had a few questions on Debian installation. I would like to use the mainline kernel on this, as I have to use some slightly unusual modules and administration will also be easier (this will be a production system). SATA is not vital and I can easily live without it. But am confused about these things:

1. Does the GoFlex Home run fine with a Dockstar arcnumber and the mainline kernel? There are some forum references to eraseblocks problems that I'm confused by.

2. I have installed a Debian squeeze system on an SD card on a new SheevaPlug using the Martin Michlmayr instructions. If I just copy this on to a flash drive, can this be a Debian rootfs for the GoFlex Home too (since these are both Kirkwood systems)? If so, do I just need to upgrade the u-boot and plug in the flash drive? (seems too good to be true :) )

3. In case I can't use the Sheeva system as a rootfs, I presume I would need to use debootstrap as described here and also install a kernel in the rootfs. Would that be correct?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.